“Fantastic Intro to Surfing!!”

Kai Sallas' Pro Surf School
Book In Advance
More Info
and up
Group Surf Lesson: Two Hours Of Beginners...
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Owned and operated by 2018 ISA WORLD LONGBOARD Champion KAI SALLAS. Learn to surf from Hawaii’s best surf instructors, at a secluded surf spot in Waikiki, away from the crowds.
Reviewed September 25, 2012

I highly recommend Kai's pro surf school. I had previously taken one surfing lesson on Maui, originally thinking I would try it once and cross it off my bucket list. I had some success, but wiped out a lot. I decided to give it one more shot with a professional surfer/instructor to see if I could do any better. I picked Kai over dozens of other possible choices because 1) he's a pro who has "been there, done that" 2) from the reviews it sounded like he had a systematic approach to teaching first-time/beginner surfers 3) he appeared to have success with a wide range of students of all ages from kids to middle-aged adults. Since I fall into the latter category, I didn't want to be the only middle-ager, among teen-agers.

The lesson started out in their space at the Marriott. Kai explained safety procedures and paddling techniques and outlined detailed steps to stand up on the board. He then had us each practice on a board. Then we were off to Kai's secluded surf spot. Our group had a total of 3 students, which worked out well. While one person was surfing, one person was on deck and the other was paddling back. Kai was a great instructor and everyone in our group was able to stand up on their boards. Kai's clear instructions and critiques helped me immensely and thanks to him I was able to stand up more than I wiped out. I enjoyed it so much I decided to take a couple more lessons. The second day I was with Geoff who is also a pro and a wonderful teacher. Our group consisted of four people, which made it a lot slower with more time waiting and less time surfing. The lesson left me wanting more time on the waves, so for my final lesson, I opted for a private one. This turned out to be a great decision. With Geoff's expert instruction, I was able to improve exponentially! He also taught me how to find my own waves, techniques for waiting for the wave on my board (and quickly turning around), more efficient paddling, and many other details that built my confidence and will enable me to hit the waves on my own.

I still have a ton to learn, but Kai and Geoff jump-started my learning process. Their love for the sport is contagious; what I thought would be a one-time experience, is an activity I will enjoy for years to come.

Thank you!

"awesome experience"
in 6 reviews
"bucket list"

Reviewed September 16, 2012

Last February lessons with Kai introduced me to my new favorite thing... surfing!
After surfing in my dreams for 6 months I returned to Honolulu early September for the sole purpose of taking more surf lessons at Kai’s school. This time I purchased a package of 5 private lessons and Alfonsina paired me with Gerald. He was the perfect instructor for me. Gerald is skilled, full of information, a brilliant instructor, cool and fun!

After assessing where I was it was full out surfing. Gerald took me to a great spot where I was able to catch lots of waves each lesson. Every time I paddled back he gave me encouragement, feedback on the ride and specific things to put into practice. I listened, did what he said and improved in a big way. While waiting for waves he talked to me about the tide, wind, water, currents, waves...and repeated things to help them sink in. There is a lot to this sport! He taught me important things about surf etiquette, not only by talking to me but by leading with his example. On top of that he was hilarious and easy to be with. He didn’t feel the need to fill every moment with words and I appreciated that. There was so much to take in and he gave me the opportunity to do that.

This school is the best and the only one you need. Book private (or semi-private) lessons if you can. It costs a bit more but there is so much value in doing lessons on your own. You will build your skills and you will want to return! I am so excited about what I accomplished with Gerald, feel like a surfer and am already planning to return in February for more private lessons. See you then!

4  Thank painter_sculptor
Reviewed September 13, 2012

If you want to learn how to surf, book a session with these guys. My son's and I were surfing on our own after just one session but we booked a second session because these guys were so great to learn from! Having never surfed before, my wife especially was very concerned about how safe it was for the children. Fear not Mom's! Kai and his trainers will make sure that you will have a fun and safe time on the water. Thanks Kai, Keoiki, Nick and Barak (our instructors)!!

Reviewed September 13, 2012

Kai and his teachers have tips for everybody from beginner to pro. Always good, friendly service.
He took care of my 6 year old and also lend a great surfboard for my husband. His wife Agostina runs the shop and she is great too. Thank you guys for a great experience :)