“Waikiki Hotel stay 01/21 to 01/30/14”
Review of White Sands Hotel

White Sands Hotel
Ranked #72 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Reviewed February 1, 2014

What a nice friendly hotel with staff that was helpful when we needed anything. Room wasn't modern but it did have a bed, sofa sleeper, kitchenette with a small fridge, sink, dishes and coffee pot. It met our needs. Close to everything yet quiet. Does need a new bed. Liked sitting on the lani in the morning to drink a cup of coffee while doing a little work overlooking the pond and pool. Hot tub said it was out of order till 01/30/14 but there was no sign of maintenance work being done. Good value for the money. We would like to stay there again.

• Stayed: January 2014
islandcolonyaqua, General Manager at White Sands Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 3, 2014

Aloha Nvlovwgoddess,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your experience with us on Tripadvisor. It was a pleasure having you as our guests.

I am glad to hear that you enjoyed our room that had kitchette with fridge, dishes, sink, coffee maker. And you mentioned that we were closed to everything.

I am pleased to hear that you complimented on our friendly and helpful staff. I will recognize their efforts in providing good customer services to our valued guests.

On behalf of the White Sands team, we truly appreciate the feedback and look forward to your next visit! I personally thank you again for choosing Aqua Hotels & Resorts for your hospitality needs.

Mahalo Nui Loa

Reviewed January 31, 2014

We were very pleasantly surprised to find this older hotel right in the middle of Waikiki. It sits among tall condos, a charming oasis with real character, beautiful pool area with waterfall, and the greatest and most accommodating staff, especially ChristieAnn at the front desk. The staff was very helpful, informative, and the people were so diligent in keeping the grounds perfectly groomed and cleaned. You're about 2 blocks from the ocean, and the location is ideal with plenty of shopping and restaurants nearby. We would definitely come back. We truly enjoyed our stay and were sorry to have to leave.

Room Tip: We requested a first floor room and we had a walk-out right to the pool. The patios are landscaped...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank 499larryg

Aloha 499larryg,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your experiences with us on Tripadvisor. We greatly value your feedback. It is always helpful to have this kind of feedback so that we continue to strive to improve the quality of your stay at our property.

I am glad to hear that you were pleased to find us in the middle of Waikiki. And you truly enjoyed your stay and would definitely come back.

I am also very happy to hear that you compliment on our helpful and informative front desk staff, Christieann, I will acknowledge her efforts in providing great services to our valued guests.

When you plan on your next Hawaii vacation, please feel free to contact me , I will update you about the hotel and the Hawaii events.

For our repeat guests, we will offer a free upgrade upon room’s availability. Again, thank you for choosing White Sands for your hospitality needs.

Reviewed January 30, 2014

While I agree with other reviews about the staff being friendly, this hotel is in desperate need of upgrades. The second we walked into our room, we were hit with a smell I cant quite describe . . . it was not good. The concept of the room was good - kitchenette, bed, loveseat, bathroom - but very outdated. Not sure if the smell came from the old curtains or old carpet or what it was but even air freshener had trouble covering it. The bedding was old which would have been okay but the sheets did not fit the bed and we woke each morning sleeping on the mattress itself. We asked about an upgrade and the staff advised that all of the rooms were the same. The location is definitely a plus - excellent - a quick walk to all the action on Waikiki. If we hadn't paid in advance, we definitely would have looked elsewhere.

Room Tip: Get a pool side if you can. Rooms on the north or east side seemed a little better.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Btmoore
islandcolonyaqua, General Manager at White Sands Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 18, 2014

Aloha Btmoore,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your experiences.

The situation about your room was brought to the housekeeping manager’s attention, and corrective measures have been taken.

I am pleased to hear that you mentioned our location was excellent and our staff was friendly.

You are right, we need upgrades of the property. As you see, we had already changed to new flat screen TV and just finished installing the new tiles at the lobby, we will continue to improve the rooms.

Thank you for helping us to improve our guest relation services, and we hope you give us the opportunity to serve you on your next Hawaiian vacation.

Mahalo

Reviewed January 24, 2014

the white sand hotel it was a blessing i will go back every time im there love you guys great in walking distance of everything. you have to see it to believe it. the staff was great very helpful and took care of me.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
islandcolonyaqua, General Manager at White Sands Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 14, 2014

Aloha Robert290,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your recent stay at White Sands Hotel.

I am very glad to hear that you enjoyed our helpful staffs who took care of you during your stay. You also mentioned that you loved our location which is walking distance to everything.

We appreciate your positive feedback. Thank you for choosing White Sands for your hospitality needs.

See you again.

Reviewed January 21, 2014

The front desk staff is amazing which is the best thing about this hotel. The entire hotel needs a rehab. The room smelled like cat urine, the carpet turned my socks black within an hour. Wifi is only available if you sit at the pool area. There is a coffee maker in the room however they only provide coffee the first day and then you must pay $1.05 a day to buy more coffee. The shower head was mounted very low in the shower so my husband who is 5'10 would need to get on his knees to wash his hair. The room has an old window air conditioner so it is extremely loud. There are a few channels to watch T.V. in the room. The bed was not comfortable at all. Overall this hotel is old and needs some love. If you are paying around $50.00 a night and just need a place to rough it, then White Sands is for you. I am by far not a high maintenance person, and I have stayed at some dive places but honestly this was one of the worst experiences I have ever had. Dark, dingy, mold in the shower, poor bedding, no elevator to help with luggage. The spa which was roped off is not a built in one rather an after thought. Luckily we booked the hotel and airfare separate so the manager was nice enough to refund us so that we could go to another hotel. We stayed down the street, paid a few dollars more a night for a clean, updated room with twice the amenities.

Room Tip: Downstairs by the pool if you need internet and fresh air.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Wil L
islandcolonyaqua, General Manager at White Sands Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 22, 2014

Aloha Wil L,

Thank you for taking the time to write your experiences. I’d like to extend my sincerest apologies to you for your unpleasant experiences encountered at our hotel. I want to thank you for your list of observations. I am sorry to hear that we did not achieve your expectations.

Situation about the room was brought to our Housekeeping manager’s attention, and corrective measures have been taken.

I am glad to hear that you complimented on our staff, and I will acknowledge and recognize their efforts.

I am pleased to hear that after we refunded to you, you found a nice hotel and you enjoyed your stay there.

We at White Sands Hotel apologize for any inconvenience that you may have had while you were staying with us. I hope that your next holiday in Hawaii will not stop you from using one of our other Aqua properties.

If I can be of any assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Reviewed January 20, 2014

We enjoed the hotel very mych. Rooms are clean and kitchen equipment enough for cooking at home. A nice balcony with a view over the aquarium with goldfishes. A perfect choice if you don't like un-personal hotels with 40 floors. One disadvantage is that the Internet access only is available in the reception are if yu don't pay extra.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple

Aloha Bo Z,

Thank you for taking the time to let us know of your experience at the White Sands Hotel. We at White Sands Hotel greatly value your compliments.

I am glad to hear that you liked our pool view room and enjoyed our clean, kitchenette and hotel very much.

Regarding the internet, we are in the process of upgrading the internet access to better service our Valued guests.

When you plan on your next trip to the paradise, please feel free to contact me, I will update you about the hotel and island activities. Again, thank you for choosing White Sands Hotel for your hospitality needs. See you soon.

Reviewed January 18, 2014

We stayed here in mid December 2013 and really loved the hotel. White Sands is an old fashioned style hotel - low rise and with surrounding a pool. It is refreshingly different to the glut of high rises ion Waikiki. The rooms are basic but with lots of room. Staff lovely!. They don't have many car parks but we had no issues. It is a short walk to the beach but this wasn't a problem

Room Tip: NO lifts so choose a ground floor room is stairs are a problem
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MrsMainlander

Aloha Mrs. Mainlander,

I am glad that you like our old fashion style property and you really loved our hotel .

I appreciate you complimented on our lovely staff and I will recognize and acknowledge their efforts in providing good services to our valued guests.

Your comments are very important to us and will be used to improve our service. If you plan your next trip to Hawaii, please feel free to contact me. Thank you for choosing White Sands Hotel for your hospitality needs.