White Sands Hotel
Ranked #72 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Reviewed October 19, 2013

We had amazing time here, this place exceeded all our expectations. I would highly recommend the first room on the ground floor on the left hand side from the pool - very neat, refreshing shower, coffee maker with complimentary brand coffee, well functioning aircon for those hot Honolulu nights, there were even extra extension cord by the fridge, which was very handy. I have never slept so well in my life, very peaceful room. We also had a pleasure dealing with a friendly young man in the reception who's customer services skills were second to none, he even passed on the landline phone so we could call the booze cruise company to book our maitaj cruise! Best of all this place is only seconds away from the famous Tavern, and other happening places such as Tsunamis, where you can meet friendly locals, enjoy nachos, popcorn and drinks. We will be staying again next year to catch up with our new Honolulu friends, and hopefully we'll be lucky enough to get the same room by the pool!Aloha!

Room Tip: First room on the ground floor(left hand side) right opposite the pool
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank dale d
islandcolonyaqua, General Manager at White Sands Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 22, 2013

Aloha Dale d,

Thank you for posting your positive comments. It is always helpful to have this kind of feedback so that we can address our guests concerns as we strive to improve the quality of your stay at our property.

I am glad to hear that you complimented on our hotel location and you would highly recommend the pool view. And you would be staying again next year.

You also mentioned about our front desk staff who provided good customer services to you, I will acknowledge his efforts.

Again, thank you for choosing Aqua White Sands for your hospitality needs, See you next year!

Reviewed October 18, 2013

The staff at White Sands makes you feel like family. Christieann even asks about family that didn't return! The hotel is centrally located, right off Kuhio, and close enough to walk many places. There is parking for those with cars, and only a block walk to The Bus stop for those without. Kudos to the entire staff. Mahalo and aloha! Kat

Room Tip: I prefer pool views, but it's small enough that there aren't bad rooms
1  Thank Karen K

Aloha Karen K,

Thank you for choosing Aqua White Sands for your “home sweet home” in Hawaii. I am pleased to hear that we made you felt like family.

You complimented on Christieann’s great service, I will acknowledge her efforts in providing customer services to our valued guests. You also mentioned you liked our central location, walking distance to bus stop and right off Kuhio Avenue.

Again, thank you for taking your time to post the positive comments on the tripadvisor. See you soon.

Reviewed October 18, 2013

We just stayed two nights at this hotel, and had a wonderful experience. The staff is really nice, very full of Aloha!! I can't stress enough how wonderful they were to us, and so sweet to my son. My son even got a hug from the cleaning lady. The room was not only large, but clean, and even had a stove top and pots and pans. The pool was clean and just the right temperature. The bathroom was pretty large. Central location. A/C Just absolutely excellent, I will be happy to go back any time with my family.

2  Thank TabbyHaha

Aloha Tabbyhaha,

Mahalo for taking the time to write about your experiences with us on Tripadvisor. We greatly value your positive comments.

I am glad to hear that you complimented on our nice staff who provide good services to you , I will recognize and acknowledge their efforts.

I am also happy to hear that you enjoyed our clean room, large bathroom, central location. And you would come back any time with your family.

When you plan on your next Hawaii vacation, please feel free to contact me and I will update you about the hotel and the Hawaii events. Again, thank you for choosing Aqua White Sands for your hospitality needs. See you soon.

Reviewed October 15, 2013

White Sands is a nice, reasonably priced, hotel/motel in a truly great location. Travelers who do not require luxury of Waikiki resort hotels can stay just steps away from all the glamour (well ;)) and from the iconic beach. The whole Waikiki district, Honolulu Zoo, and even Diamond Head lighthouse area are in walking distance. People who do not mind longer walks can make it even to Honolulu Historical district on foot! (Really. And you'll get the genuine real-Honolulu experience). There is an Enterprise rental office across the street so getting a car is easy. The location, however, equals a lot of trouble with parking. The hotel offers some parking spaces but they are both limited and IMO expensive (smthg. like 25 USD per night). If you are extremely lucky, you can park for free on Ala Wai just behind the corner or for a better price (1 USD per hour) at Honolulu Zoo. The hotel is also close to TheBus stops including services to the Airport and Pearl Harbour. We did not use taxi while in Honolulu.
Service was very good and the people in White Sands helpful. We arrived before check in time and were allowed to change in the bathroom and to leave our luggage at the reception. Our room featured a kitchenette (I did not remember that from the reservation and was nicely surprised). The balcony with pool view was also very nice. Internet was not free but the price was not too high and there was a with free wi-fi Starbucks just behind the corner. Our stay was great but we got a little surprise in the form of a nice cockroach spotted in the bathroom the last day (of our 7 days stay). Until then, I had no concern about cleanliness, so this little guy really surprised me. Anyway, I think that was just a irregularity and White Sands deserves a recommendation.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Pavel K
islandcolonyaqua, General Manager at White Sands Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 17, 2013

Aloha VaranP,
Thank you for taking the time to write about your experiences.

Due to the tropical climate, we sometimes experience unwanted pests, Aqua Hotel has a routine pest control service with a professional company, and your concern has been addressed.

I am glad to hear that you stayed in the pool view room and you enjoyed it. I am pleased you complimented on our staff who provided good services to you and you had a great stay with us.

Thank you for helping us to improve our guest relation services, and we hope to serve you on your next Hawaiian vacation.

Reviewed October 15, 2013

Great central location.Terrific staff - really friendly and very helpful which is what makes this place. It's an older hotel in need of freshening up (coat of paint and some new floor coverings in corridors would help). You get what you pay for so don't expect the decor to blow you away or have luxury. We were booked into a 'city' view room, but when we saw it we asked for an upgrade to pool view because the city view outlook was a concrete wall. The room we upgraded to was fine - much nicer outlook (which lifted my flailing spirits). So my advice is book a pool view room. Everything worked - good - showers and doors intact. Its only a 3 storey building and we were offered help with our luggage. Would definitely go back. Lovely staff.

Room Tip: Poolside or overlooking pool.

Aloha Ann J,

Thank you for posting your comments. It is always helpful to have this kind of feedback so that we can address our guests concerns as we strive to improve the quality of your stay at our property.

I am glad to hear that you complimented on our lovely staff, I will acknowledge their efforts in providing good services to our valued guests,

You also mentioned you liked your upgraded pool view room and you would definitely come back.

Your comments are very important to us and will be used to improve our service.

Again, thank you for choosing Aqua White Sands for your hospitality needs.

Reviewed October 11, 2013

The location of White Sands is perfect.. easy flat walk to Waikiki Beach, eating places, the market and shopping. While the buildings are older (and so is some of the decor) the roomy units are kept very clean, kitchens are well appointed and the beds are fresh and comfortable. Staff are super friendly and helpful with willing suggestions for sightseeing. We found Manager Lendy and Receptionist Kristieanne especially delightful. The setting is super pleasant with well kept and attractive grounds and pool. The new flat screen TVs are great.
This was our third stay, and if, like us, you would rather spend your additional tourist dollar on travel and sightseeing rather than somewhere posh to sleep, I don't think you could get better value for money. We will be back again next year.

Room Tip: All rooms seem well maintained.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Sylvie W
islandcolonyaqua, General Manager at White Sands Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 23, 2013

Aloha Sylvie W,

Mahalo for taking the time to write about your experiences with us on Tripadvisor. We greatly value your feedback.

I am pleased to hear that you have been staying at our property for 3 times and you enjoyed our clean room, perfect location for value, and our pool and ground.

I am also happy to hear that you complimented on our friendly and helpful staff, especially Christieann who provided exceptional customer services to our valued guests, I will acknowledge their efforts.

We truly appreciated the feedback and look forward to your fourth visit!

See you soon.

Reviewed October 10, 2013

Stayed at this hotel in September for a week. This is the worst place we have ever stayed in. The only reasonable thing is the location. The beds were dreadful, doors fallen off vanity in bathroom, shower so low you had to duck down to wash your hair, balcony tiny, no lift, stairs outside so you get wet if it rains, charged extra for in- room safe, pool area looking rather neglected, no umbrellas around pool and not many lounges at pool, sheets on bed only changed once during the week, shower not cleaned daily, paid for a pool view and could only glimpse it through the bushes, looked at brick wall instead, room next door had a couch but we did not, and then to top off the experience we were charged twice for our room and had to wait 2 weeks to be reimbursed the money! If you can afford to stay elsewhere DO IT!

Room Tip: If you must stay, I would suggest ground floor near the pool but good luck getting it!
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Lyone
islandcolonyaqua, General Manager at White Sands Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 12, 2013

Aloha lyone,

Thank you for posting your comments. I am truly sorry to hear that your recent visit to our property was unpleasant. I want to thank you for your observations. It is always helpful to have this kind of feedback so that we can address our guests concerns as we strive to improve the quality of your stay at our property.

I sincerely apologize for any inconvenience you had encountered at our property and hope that this will not stop you from making your next reservation with Aqua Hotels and Resorts.

Mahalo