“Comfortable room, great people!”
Review of White Sands Hotel

White Sands Hotel
Ranked #70 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Reviewed September 30, 2013

I visit my son often in Honolulu and am always on the look-out for inexpensive stays. White Sands Hotel was great for my budget with clean rooms and super-friendly staff. Christieann's smile greeted me every morning! There is a small well-kept pool and common area with a "waterfall". I realize 'no-frills' isn't for everyone, and finding a good budget hotel in Honolulu is a crap shoot, but I think White Sands Hotel was exactly what I was looking for in cleanliness, hospitality, location and price. Thanks to all for a great stay!

Room Tip: There's no elevator so you will need to carry luggage to 2nd and 3rd floors, though the staff do...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
islandcolonyaqua, General Manager at White Sands Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 3, 2013

Aloha Nancy Q,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your experience with us on Tripadvisor. It was a pleasure having you as our guests.

I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your great stay with us. I appreciated you complimented on our super-friendly staff, Christieann who always greeted you with a great smile. I will recognize and acknowledge her efforts in providing excellent services to you. You also mentioned you liked our clean and comfortable rooms, great location and value.

On behalf of the Aqua White Sands team, we truly appreciate the feedback and look forward to your next visit! I personally thank you again for choosing Aqua Hotels & Resorts for your hospitality needs.

Mahalo Nui Loa

Reviewed September 26, 2013

The hotel is outdated, the rooms are painted in white but look tired, the bed and the pillows are fair, bedspread has cigarette burn holes in, not so pleasant! However, friendly staff and great location! One block away from the beach and high end shopping!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
islandcolonyaqua, General Manager at White Sands Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 28, 2013

Aloha Younglab8808,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your experiences with us on Tripadvisor. We truly value your feedback. It is helpful to have your feedback so that we continue to strive to improve the quality of your stay at our property.

I am very glad to hear that you felt Aqua White Sands had “great location”. And I am also pleased to hear that you compliment on our friendly staff and I will recognize and acknowledge their efforts in providing great service to our Valued guests.

Situation about the room was brought to our Executive Housekeeper’s attention, and corrective measures have been taken.

When you plan your next trip to Hawaii, please contact me directly. As our VIP guests, we will offer a free upgrade upon room availability. Again, thank you for choosing Aqua White Sands for your hospitality needs.

Reviewed September 25, 2013

The staff are friendly and courteous. The prices are excellant. The place is clean and great for long vacations with do it yourself laundry facilities. It is centrally located and in the heart of Waikiki.

Room Tip: Higher floors are quieter and have less AC/unit noise.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Pua B
islandcolonyaqua, General Manager at White Sands Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 27, 2013

Aloha Pua Brown,

Thank you for taking your valuable time to post the review of your recent stay with us on tripadvisor. I am happy to hear that you felt “our prices are excellent and the best bargain in Waikiki". You also complimented on our staff who were courteous and friendly, I will acknowledge their efforts in providing excellent services to our valued guests.

We truly appreciate the feedback and look forward to your next visit! When you plan to visit us again, please feel free to contact me and I will update you about the hotel.

Again, I personally thank you for always choosing Aqua White Sands for your hospitality needs.

Mahalo Nui Loa

Reviewed September 23, 2013

We headed to Hawaii on our Honeymoon, and arrived as tired as could be to wait 45 min for a shuttle from the airport to the hotel. My dad had surprised us with the trip, and we were booked to stay at the White Sands Hotel. Which online, this hotel looks ok, but in person I was disgusted and wanted to leave Hawaii all together. We checked in and thought it couldn't be too bad...They booked us on the 3rd floor and sent us on our way. After about 5-10 minutes I returned to the desk to ask where the elevator was, only to find out there wasn't one! So, we had to haul all our luggage up 3 flights of stairs after traveling all day on our Honeymoon! Once in the hallway, we noticed a sour smell and more tears came thinking this can't be happening. We got into the room and there were so many stains I had to quit looking around! There was black mold in the shower, stains on the lamp, walls, night table, mattress, sheets walls, and more. The room smelled horribly, and there was a little twin rollaway bed in the room as well. It's our honeymoon, why would we need that? That doesn't count as a 2 bed room! After a horrible freak out and some balling, we decided to call him and let him know that we couldn't stay there. We returned to the front desk to inquire about anything else, only to pass by a Hot Tub that was boarded off, and had a sign saying they couldn't run it per the Federal Government. I thought that's a bad sign that there's no hope here! We get to the desk and they said that they could move us in the morning, but that it would be the same type of room. There was no way it'd be any better, so we stared walking around with our luggage at about 2am our time, only to find everywhere booked. No one local had even heard of The White Sands, and it seemed like people were living there..Finally, my dad found us a room at the Courtyard by Marriott. We told the front desk that we would not be staying there and we'd take care of everything in the morning. They were nice, but the place was NOT!!! DO NOT STAY HERE! Unless you don't care what you sleep in...

Room Tip: NO GOOD ROOMS HERE! If my phone could upload photos, I'd have them on here. Will find a way to a...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank AliBo0605
islandcolonyaqua, General Manager at White Sands Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 24, 2013

Aloha Alibo0605,

Thank you for taking the time to write your experiences. I’d like to extend my sincerest apologies to you for your unpleasant experiences encountered at our hotel. I want to thank you for your observations. I am sorry to hear that we did not achieve your expectations. I am happy to hear you stayed at Courtyard by Marriott. It is always helpful to have this kind of feedback so that we can address our guests concerns as we strive to improve the quality of your stay at our property.

We at Aqua White Sands apologize for any inconvenience that you may have had while you were staying with us. I hope that your next holiday in Hawaii will not stop you from making your next reservations with Aqua Hotels and Resorts. If I can be of any assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Reviewed September 22, 2013

This is a great little hotel for the money,right in the middle of everything,shops,bars etc..
The beach is just a short 1 block walk over..
The rooms were a little dated,but very clean,( maid service everyday)..
A nice little pool,right in a sun trap..
Staff very helpful,with lots of good advice for the area.
Would recommend this hotel again...

Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
islandcolonyaqua, General Manager at White Sands Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 30, 2013

Aloha Patongrocks,

Thank you for taking the time to let us know of your experience at the Aqua White Sands Hotel. We at White Sands greatly value your comments.

I am pleased to hear that you liked our little hotel with clean rooms, great location to everything. And, I am glad you complimented our team members who were helpful, with lots of good advice for the area.. I will make sure to pass this message to them and acknowledge their efforts in providing the outstanding services to our Valued guests. I appreciated you would recommend our hotel.

Again, I would like to thank you for choosing to stay with us at the Aqua White Sands

Reviewed September 21, 2013

this is in a fantastic central location - it has very friendly staff
It is very very basic, the bathrooms need renovation (we had two rooms one on each side) - but suits the price they charge
the pool is suitable as there are not many around using it - great for a quick dip in-between activities
my only real negative - is that you can only get internet sitting at the pool - I was in the first room at ground level - two steps to my room & it disconnected
but good basic price with wonderful staff

Room Tip: for younger travelers - who want to save money for other activities & not spend on accom.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank susan k

Aloha Susan K,

Thank you for taking the time to post the review on Tripadvisor. We greatly value your feedback. It is always helpful to have this kind of feedback so that we continue to strive to improve the quality of your stay at our property.

I am glad to hear that you complimented our friendly, wonderful staff, I will recognize and acknowledge their efforts, and we will continue to provide excellent services to our Valued guests. I appreciated you mentioned our great central location.

Situation about the internet, we do have internet services in-room with a minimal charge.

When you plan on your next Hawaii vacation, please feel free to contact me. Again, thank you for choosing Aqua White Sands for your hospitality needs.

Reviewed September 17, 2013

First of all, I would like to stress out, that I will recommend this hotel. I really liked the kitchenette, sink and microwave owen - this can save you a lot of money in rather more expensive Waikiki neighbourhood. The courtyard with the pool is great! The Waikiki beach and a lot of places of interest are nearby.

What I did not like was the internet access. Even the WiFi near the lobby is not free. The rooms looked a little bit worn out. The A/C was noisier.

Room Tip: Take a room with balcony oriented to the poolside.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank jan1988

Aloha Jan1988,

Thank you for posting your review on Tripadvisor. We greatly value your feedback.

I am so happy to hear you liked the kitchenette, sink and microwave oven. I appreciated you would recommend our hotel. You also mentioned our courtyard with the pool was great and we were nearby a lot of places.

Situation about the internet, we are in the process of upgrading the internet services. When you visit us again, we will have a better WiFi access.

Regarding the AC was brought to our maintenance manager’s attention and corrective measures have been taken.

We appreciate your time in sharing your comments, and we look forward to accommodating you again in the near future.