“Pleasant surprise”
Review of White Sands Hotel

White Sands Hotel
Ranked #70 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Reviewed June 15, 2013

I'd give this place 5 stars if it had an elevator. I book this hotel expecting something pretty seedy for the price I paid.The rooms are very clean, I had a kitchen that I had no idea I was going to have, and the beds are comfortable. I don't think there is one right angle in the place, so if you're in construction, you might cringe, lol. There's lots of outlets to charge electronics, anything that needed fixing was done within minutes. The staff is helpful & courteous. The small window AC unit actually works pretty good! It's definitely not some luxurious hotel, but the price is right, it has an excellent location, close to the international market, and walking distance to the beach. You can rent a modem during your stay, or pay to use the hotel wifi.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Michelle R
islandcolonyaqua, General Manager at White Sands Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 17, 2013

Aloha Michelle R,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your experiences with us on Tripadvisor. We truly value your comments.

I am very glad to hear that you complimented on our clean room, comfortable bed, helpful and courteous staff.

It is helpful to have your feedback so that we continue to strive to improve the quality of your stay at our property.

When you plan on your next Hawaii vacation, please feel free to contact me. I will update you about the hotel and the Hawaii events. As valued guests, we will offer a free upgrade upon room’s availability. Again, thank you for choosing Aqua White Sands Hotel for your hospitality needs.

Reviewed June 14, 2013

My husband and I stayed for 6 days at the White Sands Hotel.
There are many things that we as a couple liked about our stay.
The staff were a blessing and know matter if it was front
desk reception or housekeeping staff all provided great service.
This hotel is close to amenities.
Even though it seems to be an older hotel and the price per day is a plus
and staff are a 9 1/2 out of 10.
Thanks to all the staff for you all provided great service.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
islandcolonyaqua, General Manager at White Sands Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 14, 2013

Aloha Saskatoonberries,

Thank you for taking the time to post the review on Tripadvisor. We greatly value your feedback. It is always helpful to have this kind of feedback so that we continue to strive to improve the quality of your stay at our property.

I am glad to hear that you and your husband enjoyed your stay with us. You also complimented our staff who provided great services to you. I will pass this message to our team members and acknowledge their efforts.

When you plan on your next Hawaii vacation again, please feel free to contact me, I will update you about the hotel and the Hawaii events.

Aqua White Sands

Reviewed June 10, 2013

My husband, 16 year old son and I stayed at this hotel in April 2013. We enjoyed having a poolside room that was equipped with one queen size bed, a single bed and a kitchenette. This was our second stay at this hotel, with the first being in 2008. They seem to be slowly renovating which is needed.
Over our 2 week stay we only dealt with a couple of the front desk staff - Jason and Christie Ann, both were helpful and polite. A thank you to manager Paul, though, for phoning sister properties trying to find us some 24 Hour Fitness passes.
We enjoyed the pool and were thankful for the laundry facility. Housekeeping was a little inconsistant, but I am aware that stayover rooms may get a deeper clean on some days compared to others. We also enjoyed the location, close to the Food Pantry, bus stops, restaurants and only a couple of blocks to the beach.
Info: Wifi available in lobby or poolside for a small charge (for 24 accumulated hours) we got a signal from our poolside balcony on the second floor. There is also an option to rent a modem for your room (also a charge)
Laundry - machines take quarters and there are 2 washers and 2 dryers (soap and dryer sheets available in a vending machine)
In room safe (could not use ours as the key was missing) available for a small charge - we were able to use a safety deposit box at the front desk at no charge.
Parking - $25 per day and is on a first come first served basis.
Very friendly place. We would stay here again. Thank you White Sands!

Room Tip: Pool side rooms are worth the extra money.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank freeride42

Aloha freeride42,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your experiences on Tripadvisor.

The situation about housekeeping service was brought to the housekeeping manager's attention, and corrective measures have been taken.

I am glad to hear that you complimented on Jason, Christieann and Paul's customer services, and I will pass this message to them, they will be knowledged and recognized. I am also pleased to hear that you enjoyed a "pool view" room.

Again, thank for choosing Aqua White Sands Hotel for your hospitality use, and we look forward to serving you, your husband and 16 years old son on your next Hawaiian vacation.

Reviewed June 8, 2013

The staff was very friendly and helpful. The locations was great. At an easy pace we were on the beach in less than 10 minutes. The room was about half the cost the other hotels near the beach. We rented a one bedroom room with a small kitchen. The room was clean, but very old. So don't expect to have modern furniture- it is well used. The TV's are nice. Overall I'd stay there again if I didn't to pay the $300 plus a night at other hotels near the beach.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family

Aloha Explorer 1421,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your experiences. We at Aqua White Sands Hotel greatly value your feedback.

The situation about your lanai door lock was brought to the maintenance manager’s attention, and corrective measure has been taken.

I am glad to hear that you complimented on our friendly, helpful staff, and I will pass the message to them and acknowledge their efforts. You also mentioned our property has a great location and TV is nice.

Your comments are very important to us and we will be used to improve our service. If you plan your next trip to the paradise, please feel free to contact me.

Reviewed June 5, 2013

We stayed at White sands hotel, and it was really good. We didn't have high expectations as it was pretty cheap compared to other hotels in that area. But our stay was perfect, it wasn't fancy or anything, but it had everything we needed, and the staff was very helpfull and friendly. If we needed anything Christianne from the front desk was very helpfull and always with a smile on her face - she was great!

• Stayed: May 2013
4  Thank Linhoj

Aloha Linhoj,

I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us. I am also pleased to hear that you complimented on Christieann who is helpful, friendly and always has a smiling face. I will pass this message to her and knowledge her efforts.

When you plan on your next Hawaii vacation, please feel free to contact me. Again, thank you for choosing Aqua 'white Sands for your hospitality needs.

Reviewed May 29, 2013

Consistently clean, friendly and well located in Waikiki. The hotel has a small pool and hot tub. No restaurant, but close to many good places to eat. I recommend. Check in early if you need a parking spot as they are limited.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Born2travel2
islandcolonyaqua, Hotel Manager at White Sands Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 28, 2013

Aloha Linhoj,

WOW! You stayed with us 3 times. Mahalo for always choosing the Aqua White Sands Hotel to serve your hospitality needs.

Thank you for spending your time to post your review on Tripadvisor. Your comments are very important to us and will be used to improve our service. It was a pleasure having you as our guests. I certainly hope you enjoyed all the recommendations and had many pleasurable memories while you were here.

On behalf of the Aqua White Sands team, we truly appreciate the feedback and look forward to your next visit

Mahalo Nui Loa

Reviewed May 28, 2013

I'd like to thank the staff of White Sands Hotel for making my with my son a comfortable and fun one. The hotel is situated right in the heart of Waikiki. Walking distance 5-10 minute walk to the beach area. My son and I enjoy going to different breakfast place around the area....there's McDonald's and Denny's. Now if you plan on bringing a large suitcase, I suggest that you get the ground or first floor. The hotel doesn't have an elevator but the staff will definitely help you in bringing your pieces of luggage to your room. The hotel also has a nice pool that they clean everyday. My son enjoyed the pool so much that he didn't care about beach anymore. There's no Internet in the rooms. They are at poolside or lobby.

Room Tip: There's no restaurant or fitness center in the hotel. The rooms are old but they sure are very c...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank krizstee72
kekuwene, Manager at White Sands Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 13, 2013

Aloha krizstee72,
We at the White Sands thank you for staying with us & posting your thoughts! It sounds like it was a nice holiday - and a perfect place - for you and your son, and I hope you come back to repeat the experience many more times.
Me Ke Aloha Pumehana,