“will be back”
Review of White Sands Hotel

White Sands Hotel
Ranked #70 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Reviewed October 13, 2012

good distance from everywhere. has a nice 7ft pool. the 1st floor rooms have a sliding door that goes straight to the pool/patio. outside the sliding door has 2 chairs n a table. inside the room has a good a/c and a small kitchen w/ a fridge, microwave, coffeemaker, and sink. staff is friendly and quick. housekeeping does a fine job. i put a ding on cleanliness because it seems older than other hotels so it had an "old" smell when i first got inside the room, though, it quickly dissipated. i didnt see/use a restaurant/gym so i put average on ratings for both. but like the title said, i will be back for sure.

Room Tip: 1st floor rooms get a patio to the pool.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Tony C
kekuwene, Manager at White Sands Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 19, 2012

Aloha TonyC,
Mahalo for taking the time to review our property! It is always wonderful when people return and I am so thankful that you will be one of them! We are slowly, but surely improving things at our property. Hopefully next time you won't get an 'old' smell upon arrival.
Until We Meet Again,

Reviewed October 12, 2012

We booked thru Orbitz. Air and Hotel for a week in Honolulu At the White Sands Hotel. The white Sands is an Older but still very nice 3 story hotel. The room was nice with a small but usable kitchenette. Microwave, small fridge and we asked for a toaster and they gave us one. The rooms have nice balconies and the grounds are lush with beautiful vegitation and a Pool and Hot Tub. Pool is open till 10 at nite. Centrally located in Waikiki and within walking distance of most places you wish to go.Very friendly staff, thanks to Christieann, Christina, Paul D and Ron and of course all the service staff for making our trip a very special and memorable one. We would stay here again and again if only time and money would permit.

Room Tip: If booking thru Orbitz upgrade to the full kitchen, larger fridge and better room size and amenities...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Rickczap

Aloha Rickczap,
Thank you for your review! I am thrilled that you enjoyed our property, especially our lush pool area. I also thank you for singling out Christieann, Cristina, Ron and myself, but also that you had great service from our entire team. Hopefully time and money will allow a quick return to Hawai'i & the White Sands.

Reviewed October 11, 2012 via mobile

Excellent location. Close to Waikiki and all shops and restaurants. Not glamorous by any means but great for price. We had a room with a garden view and it was lovely. Super friendly and helpful staff.

1  Thank Charlotte M

Aloha Charlotte M,
Mahalo for taking the time to write a quick review of our property! I hope you enjoyed your stay and return again soon!
Me Ke Aloha Pumehana,

Reviewed October 8, 2012

I guess I am a little confused by many of the positive reviews. Our experience here was not as great. We started out our honeymoon the first night at this hotel. We had reserved a queen bed and walked in to 2 single beds. Okay, not the end of the world. We were tired and just wanted to get to bed. I hopped into bed and knew immediately that it was going to be a long night. The bed was not only extremely hard, but I could feel every spring in the mattress. It was not a restful night. There were also dark hairs on the sheets, and I do not have dark hair. That grossed me out a little. We had the same problem in the bathroom with dark hair on the floor and sink. Since the hotel was booked, there was no hope of a different room. So, the next night, we asked for several blankets to pile on the bed so that the springs could not be felt. This did help, and staff was very willing to help us out with the extra blankets. I will say that people were friendly there. The room in general was not very clean and most importantly, the bed was truly awful!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank JoAnn C

Aloha JoAnn C,
Thank you for taking the time to post your honest and thoughtful review of our property. I do apologize that your honeymoon started off on such a wrong foot. I am not sure that we knew initially that it was your special honeymoon, but I hope that we were able to accommodate you the next day. I also want to apologize for the comfort of the bed. Some of our beds are a bit dated, but we are currently working on identifying and replacing most of them now and in the future. As for the hair you found, again I apologize. We have read your review to the staff, and they will be even more diligent when cleaning rooms.
I hope that you were able to enjoy the rest of your honeymoon and that you have a long and properous future.

Reviewed October 4, 2012

My wife and I were recently in Waikiki and we stayed at the White Sands Hotel. We've been to Waikiki 8 times now and have always attempted to find a good deal on our hotel room. (The lower our overal cost, the more frequently we can go back). This hotel fit our budget perfectly and actually offered more than some of the more expensive places we've stayed at. Our room was spacious, had a nice big bathroom, kitchenette with everything we'd need to cook and a beautiful lanai overlooking the courtyard/pool area. The room was clean and housekeeping staff kept it that way. The pool was very nice and there was a covered jacuzzi surrounded by trees...... that was a nice touch right before bedtime. The staff were very accommodating and friendly. Jason and Christieann made us feel especially welcome and seemed more like friends than just another couple of employees. I would have preferred a hallway entrance to our room instead of an outside door, but it was no big deal. This is an older property, but that didn't bother us at all. We spend our time out and about as opposed to sitting in our room looking at the amenities. If you want gleeming chandeliers and lobby floors polished like mirrors, there are plenty of places in Honolulu that have those things and they will be more than happy to take your $200 - $300 for every night you hang around. I would certainly recommend this hotel, but be sure to request a room on the courtyard side. All-in-all, we liked it.

Room Tip: Ask for a ground level or 1st floor room. There is no elevator. The rooms that overlook the courty...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Brian H

Aloha Brian H,
Mahalo for taking the time to post your thoughts about the White Sands! I am very happy to hear that we fit your budget perfectly and that you enjoyed our staff and service. Jason & Christieann were very excited to see the special shout-out you gave them and I was glad to 'WOW' them for their service. We hope that the next time you return to Waikīkī, you will check us out again.
A Hui Hou,

Reviewed October 3, 2012

We have an Awesome vacation with White Sands with great service from whole staff and great place for all ages and this hotel has a great location on everything beaches, restaurants, shopping centers and groceries stores.

Room Tip: Call your hotel first a week before your vacations and let them know what you prefer or need
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Alicia G
kekuwene, Manager at White Sands Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 4, 2012

Aloha Alicia G,
Thank you so much for your review on the White Sands. I am thrilled you had a great stay and appreciated our location & staff. Hopefully, we will see you back here in the near future!

Reviewed October 2, 2012 via mobile

After having great pre-arrival customer service, I knew the stay would not be a let down. Our check-in was very quick and even though the two rooms I booked wasn't next to each other, they made sure to put them on the same floor. They even made it a pool view (taking it from a city view)! To bad the manager was on vacation cause I wanted to thank him for having one of the best front desk staffs I've ever delt with. The housekeeping staff was great as well. I was shocked when she washed our dirty dishes. My daughters LOVED that our room was right in front of the hot tub!

• Stayed: July 2012
1  Thank cousinD

Aloha again cousinD,
I am relieved to hear that your stay with us lived up to expectations! I am so sad that I wasn't able to meet you while you were here, but hopefully I will get to in the very near future! Mahalo for the very nice words about our staff. We take great pride in our service and I am thankful that you saw that. Thank you so much for taking the time to write (another) great review.
Me Ke Aloha Pumehana,