“Comfortable and Friendly Accomodations”
Review of White Sands Hotel

White Sands Hotel
Ranked #71 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Reviewed September 18, 2012

My son and I stayed here on two separate occasions on our trip from the west coast to and from Asia and I wanted to share our experience here. Overall the room was very comfortable and the staff extremely friendly and helpful. Keep in mind that this is an older facility and has no elevator nor real luxury amenities. What it does have are clean comfortable rooms with kitchenettes, AC, and large lanais. It is somewhat of a throwback to old time Waikiki, when the area was populated by low rise bungalows instead of the high rise luxury resorts that predominate today.

Although we didn't take advantage of the common area facilities, the pool appeared to be well maintained and there was a gas grill available in the patio if you wanted to grill your own steaks or teri chicken. The Food Pantry is a block away if you want to shop for your own food. In our case, we bought a few cans of spam, a dozen eggs, a few potatoes, and some orange juice and were able to start off each day with a good hearty and inexpensive breakfast.

Free newspapers, hot showers, clean towels, comfortable beds, large lanai, and friendly staff. And the location is within a few blocks of all the major Waikiki attractions. This place is not for the traveler who is seeking luxury accommodations, but for someone seeking a comfortable quiet place to sleep in between enjoying the various island activities. And if you want some luxury, use the money saved on your room to pamper yourself to some nice meals or drinks.

Overall a very enjoyable experience and I will definitely stay here in the future.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank John K
kekuwene, Manager at White Sands Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 26, 2012

Aloha John K,
Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review! 'Throwback' is a word I often use to describe the White Sands and its appeal, so I was pleasantly surprised to see that you felt the same way. I am overjoyed that you and your son had a great experience at our property and am excited that you will 'definately' stay with us again.
Mahalo a Nui Loa,

Reviewed September 11, 2012

This being our 4th trip to Hawaii, we usually stayed at a different hotel, but thought we'd try something different. We loved the White Sands for these reasons,..........Great price.........super location for us.......rather than having to walk a little further than our previous hotel stays required. My son lived in the pool which was a lot bigger than we previously had at our other hotel stays. The front desk people I encountered, Christina, Christieanna, & Jason were extreamly helpful & quite nice & made sure everything was O.K. for us. Room was more than sufficient for my son & I. I will definatly stay here again when I go back to Hawaii. I guess I could not really find one thing wrong with this hotel if I were asked to. The only thing that I would say that would make it better, would be to offer a small breakfast.......coffee, juice, milk, toast, waffles...etc. Nothing big.........although I didn't mind the walk to McDonalds in the beautiful Hawaiian weather......Thank You White Sands.......

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank crystalaziza

Aloha crystalaziza,
Thank you for your wonderful review! I am especially proud that you found Cristna, Christieann & Jason helpful and accommodating. We do appreciate that you tried us out for your most recent visit and hope that we've captured your attention enough to welcome you back for your 5th visit to Hawai'i.
A Hui Hou,

Reviewed September 10, 2012

When you are 3 blocks from Waikiki Beach and every hotel is your haven, amongst the crowds this little old fashion triple decker motel has a pool, hot tub, waterfalls and old palm trees hidden inside. The price is right. Clean but not pristine. Excellent laundry, and reception a joy. My room was made up everyday, and these are not big time linens, there is a bigtime beach out there, a kitchette, excellent shower, couch, and door out to hot tub. No matter how warm the mighty Pacific, you need warmth afterwards, and not riding a elevator 29 floors down corridors, here the joyful hot tub is 30 feet away.. And, comment on the hula video its on all the time, like a fish aquarium... oh, oh, Apple Store 2 blocks away!

Room Tip: you got this far, go out to shop and swim, there is no tomorrow
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank bapstar

Aloha bapstar,
Mahalo for the thoughtful review! I hope you enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you for pointing out that, though we are not a luxury resort, we are a clean little gem in the middle of busy Waikīkī. We look forward to your return to the White Sands.
Me Ke Aloha Pumehana,

Reviewed September 10, 2012

We stayed here for one night at the end of our trip. Pool and courtyard with plants, flowers and little waterfall were wonderful. Room was clean but extremely musty smelling with heavy odor of bleach. I had a headache all the next day after sleeping there. Rooms definitely need an overhaul. Blanket on my bed was faded and had a cigarette burn. Staff is very friendly and accommodating. I wish the owners would invest a bit in this very cute hotel. I wouldn't stay there again unless it was updated.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
kekuwene, Manager at White Sands Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 18, 2012

Aloha Judy G,
Mahalo for your honest review of the White Sands. We acknowledge that our property is a bit dated and are looking at ways to improve, so your review is very useful as we look toward the future. I am glad that you found our staff accommodating and that you thought our pool & courtyard were wonderful. Hopefully, the next time you come to Waikīkī, we will have an even better product, so that you do stay with us!
Me Ke Aloha Pumehana,

Reviewed September 10, 2012

I was pleasantly surprised when I arrived at White Sands Hotel in Waikiki. It is a very well kept property and the staff is so accommodating and friendly. The rooms are a nice size with a kitchen. Sitting on my deck while sipping coffee, looking over the pool with the pleasant sounds of a rain forest, was my favorite thing to do each morning. The plants, flowers, trees, waterfalls and lovely birds surrounding the pool and hot tub was a very peaceful way to end the day. You seemed to forget that you are right in the middle of the city Waikiki, but when you exit the property you are in the the perfect location to walk to anything in Waikiki. I definitely will be returning to White Sands and highly recommend this Quaint affordable Hotel.

Room Tip: Pool facing rooms are the best
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Cami Jo S

Aloha Cami Jo S,
Thank you so much for taking the time to review our property! I am so glad that you were pleasantly surprised by our property. I love the image you conveyed, enjoying the mornings on your lānai sipping coffee...that's the life! We hope to have you back at the White Sands Soon.
Mahalo,

Reviewed September 8, 2012

If you want to spend time in Honolulu and Waikiki and do not want to spend a lot of money this hotel might be right for you. Location is great. Hotel is very clean, and simple. Staff are very nice. The north east side of island has nicer beaches but traffic sucks:)

• Stayed: September 2012
1  Thank EOPS
kekuwene, Manager at White Sands Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 10, 2012

Aloha EOPS,
Mahalo for making time to write a review. I am delighted you enjoyed your stay! Thank you for pointing out our location, clean rooms and friendly staff. It is very much appreciated. If you ever return to Waikīkī, please give us a call.

Reviewed September 8, 2012

I stayed at the property one night and it was one of the dirtiest hotels I have ever stayed at. I chose it based on all the "wonderful" reviews here and it was nothing like I expected. This was the end of trip which started in Honolulu and I stayed at another property that was in the same price range BUT so much nicer. (See Waikiki Sand Villa)
The hotel is older and everything had a worn look to it. That I can live with, BUT when there is grime in all the corners and surfaces than its just neglect. We kept our shoes on at all time, including in the shower. If it wasn’t for the fact that it was one night we would have left and gone somewhere else.
We were “upgraded” to a pool view. That was a laugh – the “pool view” actually gave us a sliver of the pool if we looked hard left and wonderful view of the residential property next door. AND as a bonus it is a three story walk up and the stairs overlook the alley where they stored all sorts of stuff.
The area was also a little questionable. I am use to a city environment and would not recommend the location for anyone who is not.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank njTravelJunkie222

Aloha njTravelJunkie222,
Mahalo for taking the time to post your thoughts of our property and including pictures to what you saw. I apologize for all of the problems you had with your room, especially the rug burns and grime you found. Though I do not recognize which room it in the pictures, I did read your review aloud at today's morning briefing, stressing the importance of communication and being thorough when attending rooms. I am sorry we were not able address and correct these problems with you in person, since you were only with us for one night, but I do hope you afford us another chance in the near future.