“Buyer Beware”
Review of White Sands Hotel

White Sands Hotel
Ranked #72 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Reviewed September 8, 2012

I stayed at the property one night and it was one of the dirtiest hotels I have ever stayed at. I chose it based on all the "wonderful" reviews here and it was nothing like I expected. This was the end of trip which started in Honolulu and I stayed at another property that was in the same price range BUT so much nicer. (See Waikiki Sand Villa)
The hotel is older and everything had a worn look to it. That I can live with, BUT when there is grime in all the corners and surfaces than its just neglect. We kept our shoes on at all time, including in the shower. If it wasn’t for the fact that it was one night we would have left and gone somewhere else.
We were “upgraded” to a pool view. That was a laugh – the “pool view” actually gave us a sliver of the pool if we looked hard left and wonderful view of the residential property next door. AND as a bonus it is a three story walk up and the stairs overlook the alley where they stored all sorts of stuff.
The area was also a little questionable. I am use to a city environment and would not recommend the location for anyone who is not.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank njTravelJunkie222
kekuwene, Manager at White Sands Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 10, 2012

Aloha njTravelJunkie222,
Mahalo for taking the time to post your thoughts of our property and including pictures to what you saw. I apologize for all of the problems you had with your room, especially the rug burns and grime you found. Though I do not recognize which room it in the pictures, I did read your review aloud at today's morning briefing, stressing the importance of communication and being thorough when attending rooms. I am sorry we were not able address and correct these problems with you in person, since you were only with us for one night, but I do hope you afford us another chance in the near future.

Reviewed August 30, 2012

I repeatedly go back to White Sands Hotel because the staff is ALWAYS kind and helpful, and the rooms are sized well, with kitchens. The pool is always maintained and sits in the middle of a tropical wonderland. Flowers and trees are always groomed. There is a well maintained hot tub, and a beautiful waterfall for peace of mind. They have a laundry room. Ask the people at the front desk about where to go or what to eat and they always show aloha in helping you. The rooms are cleaned daily and fresh towels are always ready for you. I cannot explain how great the front desk people are. Christianne, Christina, Ron, Josh are always smiling and want to help every guest. You can easily walk to the beach, the International Market, grocery store, restaurants or any other entertainment. They provide various kitchen cookware along with dishes and microwave (remember theres a stove too). The small refrigerator is just the right size to hold you groceries.

Do keep in mind and ask about the parking, because in Honolulu parking almost always costs. So don't be surprised when you have an additional charge if you request parking conveniently at the hotel.

The only thing I hated about the hotel was leaving. I wanted to stay.

Room Tip: Here is a good tip to find a good room, EVERY ROOM IS A GOOD ROOM.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Harvey M

Aloha Harvey M,
Thank you so much for the glowing review! You really touched on almost all of the points I like to highlight when talking about the property. I hope you were able to see the great new landscaping by the Mauka building that our owner did himself. It's pretty amazing. I thank you for acknowledging our staff. They are a great bunch of people and work hard to serve all of our guests. As for what you didn't like...we didn't want you to go either. Hurry back, we'll be overjoyed to have you again.
Me Ka Ha'aha'a,

Reviewed August 30, 2012

The “White Sands” hotel is just in the middle of Waikiki although in a very quiet street. It is not the Hilton but the quality/price ratio is excellent. It is kind of singular as it is not the usual tall buildings all over Waikiki. It is only a three-story hotel and it is full of trees and plants and it also has a small Japanese garden. Add to this that people at the reception desk are friendly and helpful, we would like to thank specially Cristina for her help and kindness, and the conclusion is that “White Sands” hotel is a very good choice if you go to Waikiki.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple

Aloha pujugua,
Mahalo for the great review! I am happy to hear that our quality/price ratio was excellent, and that you found our staff helfpul and friendly. Please know that we acknowledge that we are 'not the Hilton,' but are working towards it and strive everyday to offer personalized service with large doses of the aloha spirit. Cristina alerted me to your comment, and she was very humbled. We look forward to your next stay with us, which we hope is soon.
Mahalo Nui,

Reviewed August 29, 2012

It's one of a kind to be with during our long time planned vacation in this state and we were absolutely amazed in return of our expectations are well over it.The staffs are all helpful especially Kristina Hunt at the front desk she is well deserved to be in her post with all her smiles that gives us more relax to stay I guess that's what they call Aloha Spirit, where I can spread the word to all my friends and families that if ever they will be planning to visit Hawaii I would definitely recommend them Waikiki white sands hotel and I believe they will be smiling back home happily, I guaranty you that. Our experience of stay here is so much appreciated thanks to the managers of this property to hire good people to work for them.The pool is right there, jacuzzi and we can even set a party by the pool when some friends came by for a small get together drinking beers but we know our limits so it was really a good one. There's no restaurant inside but that's not a problem at all just take a short walk and we can find everything , so much to talk about, I can't ask for more, well be back again... Thank you so much

Room Tip: Just keep on searching online but If you guys are looking for something on the budget and right arou...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Su C

Aloha Su C,
Thank you for your review! It's always wonderful to hear about our guests' experience. Mahalo for recommending us to all of your friends. We hope to host them, and you, in the very near future.
Me Ke Aloha Pumehana,

Reviewed August 23, 2012

Thank you all for making our stay at your hotel so very nice! The rooms are clean with a nice kitchenette with everything needed to cook. We had balcony with pool view where we looked into a nice garden with plants and palm trees :)
My Daughter and I are so glad we choose this hotel while our stay on Waikiki for 2 weeks. I would really recommend this hotel to all families and couples :-)
Also the staff are great, all of them and especially Cristina who I will meet again when I will be back in January :-)

Helle from Norway

Room Tip: Room with garden and pool view!
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Helle M
kekuwene, Manager at White Sands Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 27, 2012

Aloha Helle M,
Thank you for the review! I am happy to see you pointed out our kitchenette rooms and named us a great place to stay for families. We are in the process of doing more landscaping, so there will only be more awesome plants for you to see when you return in January. See you soon!
Mahalo,
Paul Dun, Hotel Manager

Reviewed August 22, 2012

This hotel was a great surprise. Because I didn't anticipate staying in the hotel room very long during my vacation (just to sleep and shower) I decided to opt for a lower cost hotel. I thought for the price something would be severely out of order or that service would be lacking. We were pleasantly surprised. We had a nice sized, quiet room with all the amenities other hotels provide. We were greeted by nice employees. Christieann and Cristina were so nice and so was their supervisor Paul. The room we had faced Nohonani street which wasn't a great view but we had a balcony and we enjoyed a few quiet mornings out there. The location is perfect too. Near great restaurants and the beach. When I come back, I will be staying here.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank CindyWindy_12

Aloha CindyWindy_12,
Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a lovely review. I am delighted that you were pleasantly surprised by our facilities and service and hope that you can come back again and again! (Maybe next time, we can get a '5' for cleanliness too!) Christieann, Cristina & I thank you for the compliment.
Mahalo Nui Loa,

Reviewed August 12, 2012

My wife and I recently stayed in Honolulu for a few days to visit friends before heading to one of the other islands for a week. Since we were only going to be on Oahu for three nights and didn't plan on spending much time at the hotel I didn't want to spend a lot. I've stayed in Honolulu many times, am very familiar with the area. I ended up choosing the White Sands because of the price, amenities and locations, mainly because it has a small kitchenette in the room. The first thing I noticed was the friendliness of the check-in staff, particularly Jason. The service was fast and efficient, and the friendliness was genuine, not forced or phony. Jason seemed to go out of his way to make us feel welcome. Pluses: the room was older but clean. the outdoor area is very nice, pool and hot tub well maintained. My wife enjoyed lounging by the pool with some wine while I went scuba diving. (Center Ring Diving, check them out!) They have free WiFi, which the more expensive hotels charge for. Another plus, the location is fantastic, just a few hundred yards away from the International Marketplace, and about a 5 minute walk to the beach at Waikiki.

Really just a couple of negatives: first, at least in our room, the AC was a small, old and tired window unit. We were there during a particularly warm week and the AC had a really tough time keeping up with it. Another downer: this is an older, lower priced hotel and it showed in the beds. They were on the hard side, it's time for new ones.

Note: They have their own parking lot, but it is small. Call to reserve a spot when you book a room. Otherwise, there is public parking nearby.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank frontman1955
kekuwene, Manager at White Sands Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 14, 2012

Aloha frontman1955,
Thank you for posting a wonderful review. Especially the great compliment to Jason...he will be very pleased! I am glad you recognized value in our property and though we are an older hotel, we are still clean. Please know that we are looking toward correcting the negatives you had in the near future, so that when you return, they will be positives!
Me Ke Aloha Pumehana,