“great place”

Ranked #13 of 2,420 Restaurants in Honolulu
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night
Reviewed July 19, 2013

this was one of the best and most reasonable meals (40 dollars for 4 people). There was a line the entire length of the restaurant that we spent 10 minutes waiting. the Udon and tempura was delicious. if you are hesitant, the staff had no problems answering questions and offering advice when we were there. Is a great waikiki meal

There are newer reviews for Marukame Udon Waikiki

Reviewed July 18, 2013

I'd never had anything like this type of udon where they make it in front of you and you can choose your toppings. It tasted really good. You can get hot or cold noodles depending on if its a hot or cold day. The udon is very tender yet firm unlike any udon I'd ever had. Great place overall and you don't have to spend a lot if you don't want to. But like any of the good places, there's a line around dinnertime out the door.

Reviewed July 18, 2013

Waited about 20-25 minutes before placing order. Gave us opportunity to review menu, visit with fellow travelers and observe noodle making process. Noodles were perfectly cooked and well seasoned. Shrimp and mushroom tempura were crispy and flavorful. Husband got curry and I had Kake and neither were dissatisfied. If only we were to be on the island a bit more time, we would consider a repeat of last nights dinner.

Reviewed July 17, 2013

Went to Waikiki earlier in the year Ate here twice. Noodles made right in front of you broth so tasty I am dreaming I could have some right now. Enjoyed the first round so much we ha to back befor ewe went home. We will be back next year on vacation.

Reviewed July 16, 2013

Hands down, Im a pasta freak, well made noodles make me feel good all over!!!! Comes from my grandmother making her own noodles when I was I kid. The udon here is perfection. The flour comes from Japan (check out the sacks), you can see the workers make the pasta. The business runs like a Swiss watch, the staff zealous. Ontama, cold broth with udon was my favorite. They put tempura crisps or flakes, green onion, a perfectly poached egg into this bowl of cold udon. The broth had such yummylicious layers of dashi, green onion, hints fresh daikon and wasabi. Its cold perfectly cold udon in a cold broth I was hooked. Zen in a bowl..............!! I can't get the taste out of my palate. I SLURPED my first bowl up in two MINUTES FLAT! I like my tempura light and crispy and with cold soba, yes!!!! Here, it is crunchy and thick, chewy and delicious. I took a bite and yummy, ... the texture of the tempura batter goes really well with the firm, thick noodles. I felt so surreal here as the texture of the udon brought me back to favorite pastas I savor from restaurants in Roma and Bologna. To add to the surrealness of my experience here, one day I was savoring my 3rd bowl of Ontama, when I see this diner next to me with 4 spam musubis and a bowl of rice!! WOW obsessions run deep here, LOL But hey to each his own....... I love this place! I was in Honolulu for 4 days and I ate a meal and a snack here all 4 days. I had to try everything. I didnt know fast food could be amazingly good!! Marukame, you rock!