“Noodles Lots of food Little Price”

Marukame Udon Waikiki
Ranked #13 of 2,453 Restaurants in Honolulu
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast
Reviewed October 19, 2012

Recently on a trip to Honolulu we were staying at a hotel on Kuhio Avenue, and every evening people were lined up to go into the Marukame Udon noodle place...you can look through the window and watch the people continuously make the noodles fresh...people, mostly oriental, lined up around the corner. We came upon a woman from Australia who, like us, was watching the line never shrink! But many, many people went in...We said before we leave Hawaii we have to go in, and we did on the last night around 8pm.
We waited in line (it moves quickly) and selected our noodles and "Toppings" there are a lot of choices but the displays show a representation of each...Cafeteria style the order takers and cooks all speak English and so do most of the oriental people in line. I ordered a bowl of noodles and broth with pork and onions...2 pieces of shrimp tempura and sat down to eat.
I was hungry, and can eat a lot when I am hungry... “I could not finish my meal” ...it tasted great...but such a huge quantity.
Delicious, filling, fresh, all for around 6 dollars with the drink.
Marukame Udon on Kuhio Ave …Go there ...don't let the length of the line fool you it goes really fast...it is well worth it...best priced meal on Oahu. I am sorry we waited till our last night; I would have been there every day.

3  Thank TheAnnouncer
Write a ReviewReviews (2,779)

Reviewed October 12, 2012

Voters rate this low-cost udon shop in the heart of Waikiki high on the list of local restaurant favorites, and for good reason. It starts with the noodles. Made fresh by that culinary artist in the window, these are the best udon noodles I've had anywhere so far. What sets them apart is a firm, chewy consistency that's more like Korean naeng myun than more typical soft wheat noodles. The dashi stock we tried (ontama cold udon) was perfect in its richness without being overly salty, with a soft boiled egg added for a creamier broth.

Tempura accompaniments were fun to sample, but not anything special as most of them are pre-fried. At Marukame Udon, it's definitely about the udon, and we were completely satisfied with our lunch. We were lucky to barely avoid the lines, but when they form they do move quickly.

2  Thank Skyvisor
Reviewed October 11, 2012

We saw the lines every time we walked pass this place, so we decided to look it up online. After reading all the reviews we decided to get some udon for dinner. While there is almost always a line (except for the morning, as they do open for breakfast), the line move fast and the udon you'll get is most definitely worth the wait.
I got the niku (beef) udon and my boyfriend get the regular udon. I picked up a rice ball with salmon (that I would not recommend, as I have had way better ones). And we split an ice tea and the total was only $12. You can't beat that price and the quality of the freshly made udon. I would most definitely go back for more udon when i visit next.

Reviewed October 10, 2012

We stayed across the street at the Aqua Waikiki Wave. Every day we wanted to try this restaurant but were put off by the very long line ups. Finally on our last day, we were able to have lunch there before our flight.
OMG, the food was amazing! We had the curry Udon. The portion was large but we finished it without a problem, lol. We also had vegetable, shrimp and chicken tempura which was delicious and not greasy.
We wished we could eat there again.

1  Thank sunandsandgal
Reviewed October 9, 2012

Oh my goodness!!! My first ever noodle house!! I had the Bukake Udon and Gary had the Niku (Beef) Udon, plus we grabbed a tempura shrimp for each of us, tempura veggies and I also had a slice of tempura sweet potato that was so delicious!! It was not the orange flesh sweet potato that I am used to, but I thought this type tasted even better!!! The servings of regular size Udon were huge and I only made it through about half of mine, plus the shrimp and sweet potato and some of the tempura veggies. We have already decided that we are going to go back again for dinner on our final night. You just can't find this kind of place in Atlanta!!!
It was so much fun watching them make these noodles fresh and then boil them and prepare them!! This was truly a treat!!! This was one of those rare meals I walked away from feeling like I had a healthy and nutritious meal without excess calories.
You really gotta' go give this place a try!!!!