“A little bit about the Aqua Marina”

Waikiki Marina Resort at the Ilikai
GreenLeadersSilver level
San Diego
“A little bit about the Aqua Marina”
Reviewed January 5, 2008

About the elevators. Even with only one working elevator it was no worse than other hotels I've stayed at in Waikiki. Many of the hotels in Waikiki were built decades ago and for the most part all plagued with crumy, slow, uncomfortable elevators. The difference here is the elevators give you a great view while you are riding up to your room. Also, contrary to other reviews, at least one of the elevators is airconditioned.

This property is known as a "Condotel" which means all the rooms in the building are individually owned. So whether you get a dumpy room or a fantastic kings suite really depends on what the particular owner put into it. Also, the management is implemting an A,B,C grade from best to worst for the rooms. on my last stay they put me In room 1202 which was very nice. It had many new fixtures, and large LCD tv hung on the wall. everything worked great. Also, the bed was very comfortable. The view was the roof top of another building with a sliver of ocean between the Prince towers, not as spetacular compared to What I've seen from the higher floors, but the payoff was much less time in the elevators! So far this was my favorite room.

About bugs, I'm not sure what the other people were talking about. Maybe they were just real sloppy with leaving food out, but I've never seen any bugs in the rooms here.

A bit more about the property, for a budget hotel, I was suprised to see a Tennis court. There is also a cozy pool and hot tub on the far end of the tennis court. The lobby leaves something to be desired, though they've been making improvements to it. Also note that I've stayed in much more expensive hotels, namely the Waikiki Beach Hotel where the lobby was not much better.

About the location. I saw a few people complaining about parking rates. First of all, like in any major city, you can expect to get rhemed for parking anywhere you go, so don't hold it against the hotel personally. Besides, this hotel is located on the Ala Moana end of Waikiki which puts you in a short walk of just about everything in Waikiki, plus all the stuff in the Ala Moana Area, namely the beach and that great big mall. Also, the bus stops practically right out front. You can take it anywhere on the island, so you really don't even need a car here.

I think this is a really great place. So far I've enjoyed 3 great stays here and am looking forward to my next stay.

• Liked — Room was very nice
  • Disliked — Leaving
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled on business
5 Thank Buildalot
hawaiipolohawaii, Sales and Marketing at Waikiki Marina Resort at the Ilikai, responded to this review, January 22, 2008
Thank you for your review. We are pleased you have enjoyed three great stays with us. Our elevators have been serviced and are both working. We are looking forward to your return. Be sure to ask for our tennis pro next time you stay with us to arrange for a game. If I can be of assistance please contact me at susan.weander@hawaiipolo.com.

Warmest Aloha

Director of Sales

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (163)
Seattle
Reviewed December 24, 2007

My girlfriend and I stayed here for a night during our trip to Oahu. I had booked it online after viewing some of the pictures posted and seeing the price to go with it. The location was kind of awkward, but it was a high traffic area nonetheless, and it was understandable. Check in was relatively easy. It took less than 10 minutes, from arrival to finding parking. A button to open the parking garage area was provided, which worked on the first try. The elevator took quite awhile, did not take us to the right floor on the first try (due to another family wanting to go down on a different floor before ours). Upon entering our room it was pleasant. No overbearing smell, clean looking overall, and a great view. The hotel across the street was the only thing obstructing the view of the ocean. One of my complaints was that there were two smaller "full" size beds - My girlfriend and I would have preferred a queen, at least. We ended up scooting the two together and sleeping horizontally. The air conditioning system was mediocre, a window cracked open provided for good climate control. Television worked alright and had enough channels of interest. We did not use the kitchen at all, with the exception of the 'fridge. The bathroom was clean and bright, and the showerhead (my biggest complaint of most hotels) worked to my satisfaction. Temperature changes were quick and the shower was roomy. Our checkout experience was good. I was the second person in a short line that formed and was taken care of quickly. I was given the price quoted, with the addition of a small parking fee.

I would recommend this hotel to younger couples looking for an affordable AND enjoyable place to stay. My experience here was good enough that I would stay here another time.

• Liked — Good view/Location for the price
  • Disliked — Two separate beds..
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple
5 Thank cb649
Thank you for your review. We are pleased that you had a good experience. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Aqua Waikiki Marina in the future. If I can be of further assistance in the future you can contact me at susan.weander@hawaiipolo.com

Los Angeles
Reviewed December 23, 2007

I was hoping that this hotel would look new and clean as what Shell Vacations Club bragged about. I was so disappointed to see an old and dirty looking hotel and the pool wasn't available due to some problems. The bed was just okay, the kitchen was not too clean and the carpet was stained in some areas and it looked like it hasn't been cleaned using carpet shampoo. The marina view was so dirty and plenty of trash is floating around in the water. I didn't feel so comfortable staying at this hotel because there was too much noise from outside. There's construction next door and traffic noise everywhere. For me, it's not worth buying a timeshare through Shell Vacations Club because when I checked all the other hotels that they are affiliated with, they all look old and not maintained well.

• Liked — Close to the mall
  • Disliked — Too expensive for an ugly and dirty looking hotel.
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled with family
4 Thank plechadores
Western Australia
Reviewed December 5, 2007

Stayed here for one night before checking into the hotel's sister property , Equus (we planned to stay there for our whole stay but Equus was full for the first night).
Pro - The view from the top floor overlooking the coast was fantastic.
Cons - The rooms are very dated, in particular the bathroom and 'kitchen' areas. The hotel seems to believe that a touch-up of paint, some coloured info sheets on the desk and internet access in the rooms = a new and attractive room. The bathrooms were dingy and very stale smelling.
The room we had was a very odd shape, triangular with an assortment of furniture squeezed into a small space.
The male receptionist was rude and disinterested in any matter relating to guests.
The location was ok, it took 5 minutes to walk to the Ala Moana mall and around 25 minutes to walk into Waikiki. An ABC (like a 7-11) is closeby for basic provisons.
The Equus - which is situated directly in front of the Marina - is a superior property for a cheaper price.

Stayed November 2007
4 Thank tvegas
Thank you for your review. The Aqua Waikiki Marina does have spectacular views for a very reasonable price. Our staff is trained to provide professional service with warm hospitality. We apologize if you did not have a good experience and will share your comments with our front office staff. Please contact me if I can be of assistance in the future at susan.weander@hawaiipolo.com

Susan Weander, Director of Sales
port st. lucie
Reviewed November 27, 2007

I chose Aqua Marina because we wanted an affordable room for one night before setting sail on NCL. We checked in around 6:00 pm. We didn’t get a very friendly welcome. The front desk clerk was on the phone the entire time as he checked us in. You could tell it wasn’t a business related call. Only one elevator was working and it was slow, but we knew there are a lot of floors so we were patiently. Our room was on the 8th floor and it defiantly was not renovation. I had to do laundry and needed change, I ended up going to the front office twice for it. The same guy was working at the front desk and he was still on the phone. On my second trip to the front desk to get more change the guy rolled his eyes and sighed when he looked up and saw me at the desk. We didn’t use or check out any of the amenities. Plan for extra time when checking out. We were the only ones checking out and it took 45 minutes. The clerk had to radio someone to physically go to the room to check it. He seemed to have a problem reading the computer screen. At first he said that my bill was $164.00 I said no and showed him my confirmation letter with my rate of $80.00. He said that he forgot to take off the garage opener. Then he said $148.00, I once again showed him my confirmation letter with my rate of $80.00 not including parking Finally after what seem to take forever him corrected my bill.

Pros: It was a large v shape room with two beds and a kitchenette. You don’t have to walk far to the parking garage.

Cons: Very dated and run down. Only view was the apartment building next door. Weird layout with the beds (They took two bed and pushed them together ??). Staff was unfriendly and not very helpful. Missing baseboards in the bathroom and kitchen, cracked tiles, one of the kitchen doors wouldn’t close, flat pillows, even on full speed the small window ac couldn’t cool the room. I have never seen such a small ac unit. I was worried about our rental convertible car because of all the posted signs warning you not to leave anything in the car except for the gas. I didn’t take pics, but if you look at member Eri35 his first pic shows the small ac and flat pillows.

After reading the reviews on tripadvisors I knew ahead what to expect so I give this a 2 star. After a six hour flight we needed a room just for one night to sleep and this hotel serviced that purpose. Our cruise on the Pride of America was fantastic. Next time we would plan on spending a few more days before our cruise and would pay a higher rate to stay somewhere else.

• Stayed June 2007
3 Thank debbie42467
Thank you for your review. We train our staff to be professional and welcoming and we apologize if you did not have a good experience. We will share your comments with our front office staff. Our elevators have been serviced and are both working. We offer three view categories including spectacular ocean views all at a very reasonable price. As you discovered, we are conveniently located less than 10 minutes to the cruise ship terminal. We hope you will consider staying with us again, perhaps in an ocean view. Please contact me if I can be of assistance at susan.weander@hawaiipolo.com

CT
Reviewed November 16, 2007

Stayed here for pre-cruise: Oct 31 for 3days. Booked the rm thru Hotwire. Check in had been moved to the 2nd floor, it was super fast & friendly! We were given a free upgrade on the 8th floor with a great ocean view overlooking the lagoon next door at the Village. We were absolutely delighted & in heaven with our stay here. The room was over 500 sq ft. with one wall of windows, so lots of natural light. It was clean as a whistle, had a super comfortable king bed, sofa bed couch, chair with ottoman, lots of great lighting, kitchen with basics, large bathrm, (no tub) but huge shower stall, desk & TV armoire. The ocean view lania was huge and private. We enjoyed our coffee out there in the a.m. and the last moments of the day there. The BUS & other shuttles stopped in front. We could walk to several restaurants right near by..as was an ABC, car rental etc. There was construction going on, but this was one of the most soundproof places we have ever stayed. Its also had A/C, which was not loud like a jet engine in your room. We had no problems with the elavators, cuz we just walked over to the supposed "wet bathing suit" elevators that no one ever used and always had immediate service. We did not use the pool, but it looked really nice. We walked over to the beach in front of the Hawaiin Village and enjoyed their Fri night fireworks from our lanai! We would stay here again as it was on the quiet side of town, yet close enough to walk to the huge Al Moana Center .Simply a great place at a great price with great service.

• Liked — The room size & bed
  • Disliked — No complaints!
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
4 Thank BackHomeOH
San Diego, California
Reviewed October 27, 2007

I am a Hilton Vacation Club owner, and booked my stay through RCI. The Hilton wasn't available, so I exchanged my points for a room at the Waikiki Marina Resort. As others have stated, the hotel looks dated on the outside. There is quite a bit of construction going on at both the hotel, and in the surrounding area, but the noise didn't bother us. The check-in was quick and easy, and the staff was very welcoming. We weren't pressured to sit through another time share presentation. Our room was lovely, and had all the amenities. There was a box of welcoming chocolate covered macadamia nuts and some cans of juice in the fridge waiting for us. We had a view of the street, which wasn't too pretty, but if you look up, you can see the sky and some mountains. The biggest disappointment for us was the pool area. The main pool was shut down for construction, and the only available pool was not much larger than a back yard pool. It was crowded, old, and right next to a high-rise construction area. We were not pleased at all. I did find out that since my traveling buddy had a military ID card, we were elgible to use the pool facilities at the Halekoa Hotel right around the corner. A hot tip if you stay here... Park in the parking garage next to the hotel on Hobron Street. There is a pedestrian bridge connecting to the hotel. The cost is only $14 per day instead of paying $25 per day at the hotel. That will save you a bundle, and it isn't that far to walk.

• Liked — The room quality
  • Disliked — The Pool
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled with friends