“Professional Review from a Seasoned World Traveler- Excellent Hotel”

Luana Waikiki Hotel & Suites
Ranked #36 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Reviewed November 28, 2010

I visited the Outrigger Luana in October of 2008 for business. We purchased a rental car and drove from Honolulu Intl to downtown Waikiki. If you are not familiar with the island, you can always take a taxi. H1 is the major highway that runs the majority of the island from the airport all the way to downtown Honolulu/Waikiki. It is the ONLY main artery to get you to and from so be prepared for heavy traffic especially in the mornings and mid-afternoon/ evenings.

When I visited, Outrigger had 3 other locations so be sure if you take a taxi to specify the Luana. If you rent a car, there is private parking available under the hotel for $15/day if you park yourself, $18/day to have it valet parked. The hotel is located on the main strip into downtown, Kapiolani Blvd, so it is easily accessible to many tourists attractions.

Check-in at the Luana was timely and conveniently located within the building. The front desk staff was very informative in regards to local activities. The majority of the Luana rooms/suites are actually condos/timeshares and are set up accordingly. Even the basic rooms had a small kitchenette in them (no stove) equipped with a mini-fridge, kitchen sink, and microwave. The appointments in the rooms were tropical mahogany woods and granite countertops. Depending on the location of the room, you either had a downtown or ocean view. The larger suites were fully equipped with a standard size fridge, oven/stove, micro, etc. The larger suites had a separate bedroom from the living area which included a couch, chairs, dinette table, and breakfast bar connected to the kitchen area. They also generally had two different views/balcony’s: a downtown view as well as an ocean one. (Mine was a corner unit so you had both directions). The rooms were very clean and well kept. There was a pool on the 5th floor (I believe) but it was not very large… however I never noticed it full or all of the chairs taken. There was a gym on the same level of the pool which offered various upgraded work-out equipment. The hotel also offered a grill area for guests to cook out and enjoy their food.

The hotel itself was located approximately 2-3 blocks north of the beach (depending on which way you went, a 5 to 10 minute walk). Adjacent to the hotel was a large green space called Ainahau Triangle where I ran every morning. There were always groups of people out doing yoga or tai chi in the morning. Also close by is Fort Derussy Beach Park. If you exit the front of the hotel and turn right, straight up Kapiolani Blvd is all of the high-end designer stores, shopping, eating, and activities you can imagine! There are various other resorts right on the beach which have sea-side dining. They offer (especially at sunset) magnificent views of the ocean as well as Diamond Head- but be prepared to wait. Some take reservations, however some do not.

So in conclusion, if you are looking for a first-class, on the ocean, resort- this is NOT that type of hotel. As previously stated, it is more catered toward longer stays vacationers and families who may eat out here and there but have to option to grocery shop and cook from their room as well. It is an optimal location for various activities and is priced very well for the amenities it offers.

Please feel free to contact me in regards to this hotel!

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank ManyTravelsGirl
There are newer reviews for Luana Waikiki Hotel & Suites

Reviewed November 26, 2010

While I have no complaints about the location of this hotel, there are much else to be mentioned and improved. My wife and I were on our honeymoon when we visited this hotel. As we were traveling on a budget but yet wanted something better (i.e. no less than the $100 price range), we found what we thought is a bargain. Unfortunately, the experience turned out to be much less than what we had paid for. When we checked in, the staff at the front desk was not very friendly and neither was he helpful. When I asked him if there is anywhere interesting to visit around the area, he just told me "No, there is nothing interesting". And when I asked him for suggestion for restaurants that serve local food, he pointed me to "L&L Hawaiian Barbecue"! If I wanted L&L, I could have just visited the branch located in the city where I live in. Regarding the room, it is clean but is very noisy. My wife and I cannot really fall asleep the first night because the street noise together with the A/C noise just kept us awake. To make things worse, the bathtub was clogged, the shower head was broken (shooting water in the wrong direction) and the shower curtain has mildew. :( It's is nice enough that after we complained about it, they have the shower head and the clog fixed the next day. All in all, since we were on our honeymoon, we tried not to let this ruin our happy spirit and just let it slide. Looking for that little bright side of our stay, we did have a very good experience with the very friendly and helpful bell/valet person. And before we checked out, we did get a chance to have a quick chat with the manager. It is unfortunate that there is nothing she could do about this. I will for sure not visit this hotel again.

1  Thank wyapchan
Reviewed November 22, 2010

Military retired family that normally stays at the Hale Koa. This year had a package deal so we selected the Luana. Perfect location for access to the Hale Koa and Waikiki. The staff was excellent and never failed to acknowledge your presence. We had a regular room, no cooking but alot of space with the one bed. Larger than normal under the counter frig that really made ice. Do recommend and will stay again next visit.

Reviewed November 22, 2010

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the Outrigger Luana. We do not actually use the rooms on our vacation for much more than sleeping. The price was very reasonable for Waikiki. Being airline employees, we fly stand by and the hotel was willing to work with us on late check in and possible cancellations due to unavailability of flights. We appreciated that and it was worth it.

we arrived in HNL late on a thursday night and took the Waikiki Shuttle. It was a good value, but in hind site we would take a taxi next time. We were the first ones on the shuttle, waited a 1/2 hour for all other passengers and then were about the last ones off the shuttle. It took 1.5 hours to get to hotel. On way back we took the city bus. It is only $2.50 per person and stops near the Luana. It only took 35 - 45 minutes to get to airport.

On our last day we took a tour of the island and had to leave at 7:30 am. The hotel staff stored our luggage for us and when we arrived back at 7:00 pm, they gave us towels and keys and allowed us to use the showers and changing rooms in the exercise area to freshen up prior to our trip to the airport.

Thanks to all at the Luana.

Reviewed November 21, 2010

The worst ,loud, not good customer hotel I have every stayed at! i come to waikiki three time a year.My husband and I were staying at the hiltion for 10days and came over to this hotel that should not be a outrigger hotel chain! We came over three days prior to make sure that we could be far away from the road.We checked in and the customer service was terrible. I would be very upset if I had an employee like this. We were put on level 2 right on the road. So don't wast your time trying to talk to the front desk. By 10pm there were so many cars at the gas station (party down at the gas station). My husband ask if we can be moved. We were move to the 5 floor and thing seemed to be better. Than at 4 in the morning partying was on everylevel. Beer bottles were thrown onto the building below. I would like to aks the VIP at the outrigger to spend a Friday night on level two right at the road (gas station) and see how they judge there hotel NOW! This is a good place if you DO NOT WANT SLEEP! Far away from the beach and city. A waste of your money!

1  Thank chyna154943
Reviewed November 19, 2010

We stayed for 6 nights... I was traveling with my wife, 1 and half year old son, and mother in law. We got a 1-bedroom ocean view condo for the three of us and a studio for my mother in law, who was helping watch the baby. The hotel staff was great, and they got us rooms on the same floor which made things convenient (7th floor). My wife was there for a conference for a couple days, but everything else was leisure.

We paid $199 for the 1-bedroom ocean view and $99 for the studio (they upgraded us to the studio from a standard room at no cost to have us on the same floor).

The rooms are clean, although the cleaning staff did skip us on two days. On one of the days they called in the late afternoon to see if we wanted it cleaned, but I declined as we were feeding the baby dinner and getting him ready for bed. They don't do dishes at any rate, just standard hotel cleaning services like towels.

The water pressure is excellent.

They provided us with a nice, metal folding crib.

The bedroom was very specious, and really the whole apartment had plenty of room. We even had people over one night for a small party. The kitchen is great-- high quality appliances, well stocked with dishes, etc.

This place is right next to a park which is actually quite nice if you have a kid. You have to cross a busy street which runs right through the middle of the park to reach the beach. I recommend you turn LEFT after leaving the hotel lobby and follow the path that starts right past the gas station. This will let you cross at a light and lead you towards the Hilton beach which is great for families. The park also has a par course which I did a few times.

The drinks at the little store in the lobby are exactly twice the price as the same drinks right next door at the gas station (bottled water, etc). There's a well stocked general store across the street.

The view from our condo was nice, looking out on the park, with a peek at the ocean past the beachfront hotels. It was perfect for viewing the fireworks that the Hilton sets off every Friday.

The gym is quite nice, with good quality equipment.

They have a nice BBQ area with high quality gas grills, which we used.

We did not use the pool. It's quite small and seems to be a magnet for elderly people. We were much more attracted by the beach, which is a 10 minute walk.

The condo is VERY QUIET. Other than the air conditioners, we never heard a thing. No street noise, no noise from the neighbors. Did we even have neighbors? Maybe not.

My biggest disappointment is the only way to reach the bathroom is through the master bedroom. This is awkward if you've got a baby napping in the room, or you have guests who have to traipse through the bedroom (or someone staying on the sofa bed in the living room). Why they thought this was a good design is beyond me. Having the bathroom access from the common area makes so much more sense.

Three free wifi internet works great.

Parking is expensive - $18 a day. I don't think we really needed the rental car we got.

All in all, I would recommend the place. Would we stay here again? Maybe... but the Hilton looked awfully nice.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed November 12, 2010

Attached cafe is fine for light meals - parking is expensive but valet's are courteous and effiecient

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled on business