6 people are viewing this hotel
$239
Free cancellation until 02/16/23
Reserve now, pay at stay
$205
Free cancellation until 02/16/23
Vio.com
$182
travelup.com$216
Priceline$239
Agoda.com$239
2,009 results
All reviews fish hook fort derussy park bbq area partial ocean view full kitchen across the street kalakaua ave valet parking queen bed city view minute walk to the beach fitness center beach towels coffee maker mini fridge resort fee small pool
Selected filters
Reviewed May 9, 2007

had trouble deciding where to stay as we had never been to hawaii before-unable to get clear picture of things from all my research prior to the trip. wanted kitchen facilities as we often prefer simple meals.
this place was fantastic and really met our needs.
i must admit it is a little tired and could to with new a little freshening up but was spotlessly clean-no cockroaches or ants as mentioned in other posts!
we stayed in a studio room with kitchenette-on the 16th floor-had views of the park/city and also could see the ocean! there were 3 of us and we shared 2 queen size beds! very comfortable beds at that!
the rooms are quite large so we did not feel cramped but we really only were in the room to sleep, shower and change and occasionally eat.
this hotel/condo is very close to everything you need-1 block from beach-easy 5 minute stroll.
easy walking to great restaurants and shopping-we walked to ala moana shopping centre twice and found this an easy walk also but the bus is just on the next corner if you're not into walking.
kim, the most wonderful, friendliest concierge, ever was a delight and couldn't do enough for us-as were the rest of the staff.
the pool has been described as very small but i found it great for relaxing and cooling off and the deck chairs were very comfortable and plentiful-pool no good for lap swimmers however there is an excellently equipped gym if you need exercise and fort de russy park next door which had a great path around the perimeter to run around.
we will definately stay here again-we are not into resort accommodation so if that is what you are looking for you will be disappointed but dont overlook this place if you want everything else for much less than similar hotels charge

Date of stay: April 2007
  • Trip type: Traveled with family
4  Thank trembler
Reviewed April 29, 2007

We booked this place looking for somewhere functional for our first and last nights.

Hotel was clean and staff were friendly (although the room keys never seem to work first time you try to use them.) Good sized room with a fridge and food prep area (no cooking facilities though.) Good concierge service for taxis, directions and table booking.

Booked a partial ocean view for the last night and had a really clear view of the ocean.

Overall - very happy.

Date of stay: April 2007
2  Thank icklecaline
Reviewed March 3, 2007

We stayed in a hotel room at the Outrigger Luana Waikiki for three nights in February. The place was nice, but unspectacular. It's well maintained and the folks who work there were all very friendly and accommodating. Our room had two queen beds and unfortunately didn't have a kitchenette. Internet access was free.

Parking is available in their 2-level underground garage. The cost is $18 per day -- it's a steep price, but there aren't too many other options if you have a car.

The location was pretty good. While it's not in the heart of Waikiki, it's still close enough to walk to all the restaurants, shops, and beaches. TIP: for breakfast, "Eggs 'n Things" down the street was a great place to go for an inexpensive meal.

If you're not planning on spending much time at the hotel and aren't looking for the perks of a luxury hotel, this is a good place to stay. Most of our time was spent exploring the island, so for the 8 hours a day that we actually were in the room it fit our needs perfectly.

Date of stay: February 2007
6  Thank fishoutofh2o
Reviewed February 2, 2007

My wife and I stayed at the Outrigger Luana 1 bedroom deluxe ocean view room for 4 nights on January 21st. We actually stayed at the hotel in October in a partial ocean view hotel room and liked it so much we booked the best room they had. Our first stay we had zero problems, but this stay we had several.

The first thing that happened was they charged us $18 a day for parking. It was $15 in October. When they gave us room 1106 we were rather excited to be up so high. When you walked in the hallway and kitchen had 15 inch marble tiles on the floor. The kitchen counters were all granite as was the bathroom vanity. The deluxe room has a balcony off of the living room and a second one off of the bedroom. The living room one faces the ocean and the bedroom one faces the Wyland painting and the gas station with all of the exotic cars for rent. I noticed that one of the kitchen cabinets was locked, as this is a condo owned by someone, as was a drawer in the bathroom.

The next morning my wife killed a roach type bug that was hiding behind the toaster. Later that morning I killed one on the counter next to the kitchen sink. I also found a dead one in a drawer. We went across the street to the ABC store and bought a can of Raid and sprayed the entire can in the entire unit. I also killed a live silver fish in the hallway. Before bed I killed a roach on the wall over the bathroom door. In the morning I found a dead roach next to the TV in the living room. When we went out for the day we told the front desk and I showed them one of the bugs that I had killed. We told them that there was rice and crumbs all along the baseboards, and they said they would send the “super housekeeper” up to clean our room and the exterminator would be called. When we got back from our day out, the rice and crumbs had not been swept up, AND I found a dead roach right in the middle of the kitchen floor. I brought the dead bug down and asked to be moved to a different room. They moved us up to room 1506, which is next to the top floor. This unit did not have any cabinets locked in the kitchen or bath. It also had a ceiling fan in the living room, two dvd players, upgraded remote controlled a/c units, and a washer and dryer in the unit. This is what we had expected all along.

The location of the place is really good. A 5 minute walk to the beach, right on Ft Derussy park, lots of shopping and dining very close. But the bug thing really creeped me out. But the nail in the coffin was the courtesy room. I have stayed at many Outrigger places in the past and have always used a courtesy room. It is usually the worst hotel room that they let you use for 30 minutes to take a shower on the day you check out. They list this as a feature on the internet and we even asked about it when we checked out. They said no problem just ask. So we put our suntan lotion on and went out all day. We had an 11pm flight and wanted to shower up for a late dinner and a long flight home.

When we asked at the front desk they told us the courtesy room was the two outdoor bathrooms by the pool. We were told to lock the doors so no one would walk in on us. The men’s bathroom had 2 sinks, a toilet stall at the back and a small shower right across from the urinal. The floor was soaked with urine and I wouldn’t take my shoes off, let alone take a shower. The women’s bathroom was right across from 2 outdoor gas grills, and my wife said there were so many ants crawling around she was afraid they would crawl into her suitcase if she opened it up. Needless to say, neither of us showered and went home dirty and uncomfortable. When we turned the key and pool towels in the front desk person was so ashamed of what he did he wouldn’t look at us or ask if things were ok. He knew what he did.

I really am sorry to say I can’t recommend this place to anyone. I love the location and the remodeled rooms. The parking increase was unpleasant, the roach infestation was totally unacceptable, and the courtesy room sealed the deal. Most people were very helpful at the front desk and the bellman was great, but there are way too many other new places opening up on Lewers Street to try rather than stay here. Beware.

Date of stay: February 2007
16  Thank edboogie
Reviewed January 26, 2007

We chose to stay at Outrigger Luana after reading the traveler reviews...I believe I'll do more careful reading between the lines next time I read the reviews. Our studio room (515) had a nice and recently renovated kitchenette with a decent supply of dishes for 4, tableware, and cooking accessories. We had a bit of a view of the ocean from the small balcony which surprised me since we were to have only a city view. The air conditioner worked very nicely. My husband liked the exercise facilities. The pool is small but nicely kept. The pool deck is on the smaller side but equipped with comfortable chairs and tents to shield from the sun.

Other than that, the positives mostly end and the negatives begin. To start, (and this is a big one for me,) there is no fan in the bathroom...puhlease!! We tried to call the main lobby when we couldn't access our phone messages and couldn't dial through. When my husband went to the lobby, he was told that our phone "buttons" hadn't been set up yet. What on earth kind of excuse is that? There were cockroaches in the room (I hope we didn't bring them home with us in our luggage.) There was no information book in the room to explain where the pool, laundry facilities, ice machine, etc., are located or to give information on restaurants, boutique hours, check-in, etc., or any of the usual information found in a book in hotel rooms. When I asked the front desk about one, I was told there isn't one. The queen bed was more of a large double. I sincerely doubt that was a queen bed. There was a small baby ironing board...the kind that sits on 2 inch legs on a table and moves all over the place while you're trying to iron. The coffee for the coffeemaker had to be bought at the front desk. The first night is supplied in the room, but after that, the supply is not refreshed...which is fine, I guess. It was poor quality coffee. The bathroom door squeaked loudly and had to be pushed with your weight against the door to close it. The bathroom is supplied with two rough towels, two washcloths, two hand towels, nothing extra. The toilet was the cheap plastic seat type with a rough surface as if something had gotten stuck to the lid and never completely removed. The floor was only swept by housekeeping when I left a tip and a note to request it. The housekeeping staff, however, were very nice and left the room neat. The sheets were barely large enough to go 6 inches down the side of the bed and there wasn't much on top to fold over the bedspread. They do not do dishes. You need to wash your own dishes. The furniture had many worn spots in the wood stain. You pay separately for parking and internet access (which is only accessible in the lobby). I would not stay there again. This hotel was not what I had expected for $200 a night and the many positive reviews I read. Granted, staying in Waikiki is not inexpensive, but when I have it to do again, I'll pay the extra money to stay at a better hotel where the amenities are included in the price, the sheets fit the bed, and the other negatives are hopefully minimized.

Date of stay: January 2007