“Enjoyed until my last day”

Luana Waikiki Hotel & Suites
Ranked #35 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Maui, Hawaii
“Enjoyed until my last day”
Reviewed June 4, 2014

The manager sonny was great! He was very helpful, always treated us like royalty. My brother, sister and I stayed in the suite with a beautiful well equipped kitchen. We asked for 3 beds, but got 2 beds and 1 sofa bed, but it was comfortable. Cleaning staff did a great job - always kept the floors, kitchen, and bathroom shiny, our bed linens were changed daily, beds were always neatly made. Vallet parking attendants were quick to bring our car, never hesitated to carry things for us. We stayed for over a week this past March. Everything was going great until our last night there. My brother and I decided to sit in the lounge area in the evening with other guests when the security guard came over and asked if we were staying there. I said yes, we've been staying here for over a week now, then to my surprise, she said out loud "Let me see your room card" I never felt so belittled. We could have chosen any other hotel, but we wanted to give them our business. Damo family

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank Glo G
Sunny C, Guest Relations Manager at Luana Waikiki Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, June 6, 2014
Aloha Glo G,

Thank you for taking the time in writing us. I am glad to have met your family and thank you for sharing your stories with me. It is wonderful to hear that you enjoyed your visit with the Luana but I am disappointed to hear that all went well until the last day. It is our responsibility to ensure a perfect 5-star stay. This occurrence has been brought to management's attention and is currently being reviewed.

Again, thank you for staying with the Luana. I look forward to seeing you and your family on your next visit.

Mahalo,
Guest Services Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (470)
  • Korean first
Reviewed June 4, 2014

Clean and comfortable. Hotel is located where everything is in walking distance. The hotel staff was very friendly and helpful. Our particular room was nice and well maintained daily. The only complaint is the amount of pay for parking (35.00 per night). Parking fee in my opinion is outrageous.

Room Tip: Room 206 has a very nice balcony that overlooks the pool. Not your regular type balcony.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Felisia G
Aloha Felisia G,

Mahalo for the stellar 5-star review! It is excellent to hear that you and your family enjoyed your visit with the Luana Waikiki. You are right about the price of our valet services at $35 a night which we found to be comparable in this part of Waikiki. We found that there are other options in town but requires the car to move from time to time, or restricted hours.

Again, I would like to thank you for staying with us and I look forward to your next vacation with us.

Los Angeles
Reviewed June 3, 2014

The Luana exceeded all my expectations for the price I paid.
The lobby and bar areas are absolutely lovely, the receptionists are sweet and they have two little fish in a bowl you can "adopt for the day"!
They automatically upgraded my room to a partial view, when I'd just booked "city-view" for a one-night stay during a business trip. I could see the ocean from my lanai which overlooked Fort Derussy park. The room had a full counter-top with sink, plates, fridge (basically a half-kitchen), and a couch and breakfast table area and lanai. Almost a suite! Just lovely.
Everyone at the hotel was super-friendly and relaxed. No crowds. It's a smaller hotel so you don't feel swamped by tourists like at the Sheraton or Hilton. They have what looked like a really nice spa with a bit pricey but tempting spa packages.
The bed was super-comfortable. I slept so well. The only downside was that the bottom sheet was too small for the mattress and was loose on top of the bed, instead of being tucked under, which is really annoying but the only thing that wasn't perfect about my stay.
The gym and swimming pool are on one cheerful deck with a nice view of park trees, etc. The nice thing is that the hotel is not up against any other hotels but has space around it and parks on either side. The swimming pool is small, but who is using a pool when you have the glorious Pacific one block away? The hotel is close to all shopping and beaches.
One really neat thing--they have a limited number of free bicycles you can take out (based on availability)! I loved riding around town on a bright orange town bike, replete with helmut and a Kryptonite lock in case i could stop for a swim or do some shopping.
Good vibes all around!!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank LoveSequioa
Aloha LoveSequioa,

Thank you for taking the time to rave about the Luana and our guest services team. It is great to hear that you took advantage of the complimentary bicycle rentals. I hope that you had the chance to adopt our freshwater guppies, Mumu and Lulu, for the day.

Mahalo for letting us know about the size of the sheets. We have located the room and addressed the issue.

Again, thank you for staying with the Luana and we look forward to your next visit with us.

Sydney
Reviewed June 3, 2014 via mobile

Large comfy double beds. We had a studio room so no kitchenette but it had a coffee percolator, fridge, crockery and cutlery. Partial sea views were still lovely. Proper fun and swimming pool well worth checking out. You can see the weekly Friday Hilton fireworks from pool area. Good location although a bit further out than many other hotels - a bit beyond Hard Rock Cafe. Friendly staff and a very pleasant stay.

1 Thank _ES1_1
Aloha _ES1_1,

Thank you for a perfect 5-star review! We really appreciate it. Mahalo in taking the time to write us. We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay and found our team to be friendly and pleasant. Again, thank you for staying with us and we look forward to your return.

Reviewed June 1, 2014 via mobile

We stayed here because we wanted something that wouldnt break the bank but was close enough to the beach & im glad thats exactly what we got. The hotel was a nice price and walking distance to the Waikiki beach. The hotel room was a kitchenette so it was big. The rooms were clean. We purchased the city view & having a balcony to look-out from every morning & night was a big plus. The customer service was great especially an employee named ALLI. She was really nice, helpful, approachable and fun to talk to. I see a promotion coming her way. This hotel & staff was a great plus to our hawaii trip.

4 Thank Beverly B
Aloha Beverly B,

Thank you for a 5-star review and the excellent title! It is great to hear that you enjoyed our kitchenette rooms and found our location to be a convenient one. I would also like to thank you for commending our guest service team, and specifically our valet attendant Alli. Mahalo for staying with us and see you soon.

Mahalo,
Reviewed May 31, 2014 via mobile

Obviously this isn't the Hilton, but it's good for what it is. The staff are really great. People are right about room cleanliness though, and they don't change your sheets while you're there, which is strange given the amount of sand that gets tracked in. The bottoms of your feet will blacken, so bring some baby wipes to clean of with before getting in bed.

Aloha Stephani K,

Thank you for taking the time to write us a review. It is wonderful to hear that our team provided excellent guest services throughout your visit with us. Thank you for your comments in this review. It has been brought to our management team for further review.

Mahalo for staying with us and see you soon.

San Diego, California
Reviewed May 30, 2014

The Luana is a hidden jewel - best kept secret on Waikiki! I have stayed in four stars throughout the world and this was one of my best hotel experiences! It sits between two parks and is conveniently located to public transportation and a 5 minute walk to the beach. I rode the complimentary bike to the beach almost every day (cruising through the parks half the time! It was beautiful.) Staff is very friendly and attentive - very accommodating. This boutique hotel went above and beyond with free yoga classes in the adjacent park (excellent instructor from Core Power Yoga), complimentary apples, water w/ citrus and mint, candy, bikes, and more. I have already sold this hotel to other family members who plan to visit HI soon - I raved about a wonderful 11 days here. Thank you Luana staff and management. I'll be back. BTW, the bed was one of the most comfortable beds I've slept in at a hotel. Room was very clean and daily maid service kept it that way. (Maid service doesn't wash dishes - that's fine with me.) Very well equipped kitchen. I bought from Farmer's market and the Prep Kitchen for groceries - great having the two burner kitchen setup.
Back in San Diego - relaxed and refreshed.

Room Tip: I understand that the higher-up rooms are less noisy.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
3 Thank Jolie L
Aloha Jolie L,

Thank you for a wonderful 5-star review! It is great to hear that you enjoyed the Luana experience from our guest services to our complimentary yoga classes that we offer twice a week. During the summer weeks, we will be adding an extra yoga session.

Mahalo for the commendations and recommendations to your family and we look forward to your next vacation with us.