“Peaceful, comfortable place to stay”

Luana Waikiki Hotel & Suites
Ranked #36 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Reviewed March 22, 2014

The staff at this hotel is consistently friendly and helpful. The hotel is within easy walking distance of the beach and terrific shopping. There is no live entertainment or bar so it doesn't have a party-resort feel. But there are plenty of nearby venues to be enjoyed that won't interfere with your sleep. There are views of the ocean and the lovely park just below. There is plenty of storage space in the rooms and the bed was very comfy!

Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank Sheri V
Sunny C, Guest Relations Manager at Luana Waikiki Hotel & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded March 30, 2014

Aloha svd92708,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a terrific review of the Luana. My team members are thrilled to hear that they were able to extend our services with a friendly and helpful approach. Again, thank you for staying with us and Mahalo for providing pictures of the nice views that Waikiki has to offer in the day and evening.

Many thanks,

There are newer reviews for Luana Waikiki Hotel & Suites

Reviewed March 20, 2014

I highly recommend Luana Waikiki!

Although our family has stayed in many different hotels in Waikiki over the years, we always come back to Luana!

The word "Luana" means - joyous, happy, contented, and relaxed, in Hawaiian, and this is definitely the most appropriate name for this very comfortable hotel.

After staying in some of the bigger, more expensive, resort-style hotels, we realized how much we missed the cozy, homey atmosphere we always feel at Luana.

This little gem is the certainly the best deal when you consider the price, location, convenience, and amenities.

We love the location because it's just a short walk to all of the activity, dining, beaches, and shopping, but just far enough to be away from all of the hubbub and action in the center of Waikiki. It's also an easy walk (or trolley) to Ala Moana shopping center.

Even though we are not right on the beach (which for the great prices of the rooms is a small trade-off), it's only a short walk through the park to the beautiful beaches of Waikiki. Whenever we feel like taking a dip in the ocean, talking a sunset stroll or spending the day lazing on the white sand, it's all just a few minutes away.

Some of the features we've always loved about the Luana are;

- Clean, comfortable rooms, with lanais (balconies).

- Many of the rooms have kitchens - which is rare for most hotels and is a great convenience.

- A refreshing, heated pool with plenty of nice lounge chairs for relaxing and soaking up some rays with some cool, shaded areas as well.

- Nice gas BBQs not far from the pool for guest use (great for steaks, shrimp, burgers, fish or veggies!).

- A beautiful view of peaceful Fort DeRussy Park from the pool area (and also from many of the rooms).

- Two different car rental locations are only a few minute walk away (next door and across the street). There's a 24 hour convenience store next door as well.

- "Ville de Coco" day-spa, massage and nail salon - on the mezzanine level. My wife loves the relaxing massages here.

- The large and comfortable lounge on the mezzanine has many areas to sit, relax, read, have a business meeting, study, or just watch the big screen TV.

- Free Wi-Fi in every room and throughout the building and pool area.

- The laundry room is clean and very convenient. It save us from having to bring too much luggage when we stay for more than a few days.

- Proteus, the peaceful little cafe at the lobby entrance, has great breakfasts, lunches, smoothies, cocktails, and pizza!

The Luana has recently changed from an Outrigger hotel to an Aqua managed hotel, which made me wonder if the quality of my family's vacation would change at all. I was so delightfully surprised that we actually like it better now and were not in any way disappointed.

The new staff is just as pleasant and accommodating as the previous staff so, as usual, we always felt comfortable and at home.

The new management has considered and added many nice new amenities which we really appreciated!

Just to name a few;

- They now have new, free bicycles to lend to guests (a great deal considering the high cost of bike rentals in Waikiki).

- There is free, delicious fresh brewed Kona coffee and a variety of nice teas waiting in the lobby every morning.

- Plenty of new beach towels, mats and even beach chairs for the asking.

- Free morning yoga in the park nearby .

- The free wifi throughout the building has been upgraded for speed and ease of use.

There are several staff members that I would like to take the time to mention by name and thank for their help, great attitude and big smiles everyday.

Rudy, the new general manager is a sweetheart and he's doing an excellent job of keeping the Luana a great place for our family to relax and enjoy our time in Waikiki.

Mark, the new Guest Services Supervisor was a pleasure to deal with.

Matt, the concierge is one of my best friends whenever we're in Waikiki. Not only does Matt have extensive knowledge about just about anything you might want to do while in Hawaii, but he is always quick to make a dinner reservation (or recommendation), book a sightseeing tour and generally just be super sweet and helpful about any information or assistance you might ever need. He's also fluent in Japanese, which is a nice bonus when we have friends from Japan come stay with us. (there are also several other staff members who speak Japanese)

Alli, Abe, and Ryan, the parking valets, always provide us with big smile and a welcome feeling (with or without having a car).

Ken and Mathias, the bellmen, also always make us feel happy to return.

A big "Mahalo" to the Luana and all the staff for making our stay wonderful (again)!

In conclusion - although there are a multitude of hotel choices and options available in Waikiki, in my opinion, the Luana is by far THE BEST!. (It's also the only place I felt compelled to write a review about).

Room Tip: Although there are also ocean-view rooms, we love the view of the park and mountains from the Fort D...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
5  Thank Adam W

Aloha Adam W,

Thank you for beginning the review with a recommendation of the Luana. We really appreciate such great commendations you gave of the Aqua team. We work closely with our Guest Services Agents to ensure that the service we provide is unparalleled and unmatched. On behalf of our team, I would like to thank you for recognizing each individual that made your experience an excellent one.

Again, thank you for staying with us!

Many thanks,

Reviewed March 20, 2014

My husband and I have twice booked vacations in Honolulu through a travel agent. We enjoyed the Luana Waikiki the first time we visited and so we were very pleased to stay at this hotel again. We were on a lower floor this time (9th instead of 15th), but the view of the ocean was still beautiful. (We could see just the very top of Diamond Head from the 9th floor.)

The hotel lobby is quite attractive, and they serve complimentary ice water flavored with fresh lemon and regular and decaf coffee daily. The rooms are very clean, and everything in the room (refrigerator, TV, AC, lights) worked. The AC was a little noisy but kep the room comfortable for us. The bed and pillows were satisfactory.

The location of the hotel is very convenient to shopping, restaurants, and the beach. I actually prefer to stay on this end of Kalakaua Ave because it is quieter at night. (The larger hotels located in the midst of the shopping district are more likely to have traffic noise.) The hotel itself (including the other guests) was very quiet throughout our stay, which I really appreciate.

I do not know the actual price of the room so it is difficult to comment on value, but I would venture to say that we were able to take advantage of one of the best deals available on a Hawaii vacation. We would definitely stay at this hotel again if we visit Oahu in the future.

Room Tip: Higher floors have better view of Diamond Head.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank VPL_10

Aloha VPL_10,

Thank you for such an excellent review of the Luana. We are glad that you found our property to be attractive and convenient. We would also like to thank you for considering the Luana in your future plans with us. From time to time, please check back on TripAdvisor for special discounted rates.

Reviewed March 18, 2014

I spent hours agonizing over where to stay in Honolulu. I had a price point in mind and had a difficult time finding a hotel. I came across the Luana. I could not believe the rates were lower than my price point so I wasn't expecting a lot. The property exceeded my expectations. The rooms are spacious and clean. The beds/pillows are comfortable. The partial ocean view rooms are more like an ocean view room--our room had a beautiful view on the park and the ocean. The refrig was decent size and nice to have for our own beverages and sandwiches. The pool area was clean and had comfortable lounge chairs and provided nice beach towels. Also provided suntan lotion by dispenser if you had forgotten yours. Complimentary coffee and infused water was nice. Complimentary boogie boards and floaties to take to beach as well as bikes to check out. I regret not taking advantage of the bikes...maybe next time. Protea café is right outside front doors. They serve an excellent breakfast and large portions. Hotel is very accommodating for people with flights in the evening. They will hold your luggage for the day and will provide a room at half rate if you need a late check out. Location is excellent if you don't need to be right on the beach. It is a 10 min walk to the beach but we felt like it was worth the walk for the excellent price of the room. A little exercise never hurts anyone! The beaches are very crowed in Waikiki, however, this end of the beach is nicer, wider, and less crowded. The main strip of Waikiki is very noisy and congested with traffic, the hotel is located in an area that is a little less hectic. At minimum would recommend the rooms with partial ocean view..it's well worth the extra money.

Room Tip: At minimum choose rooms with partial ocean view...it is well worth the extra money.
8  Thank luv2trvlondal

Aloha luv2trvlondal,

Mahalo for staying with the Luana Waikiki. We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your most recent visit with us and found our complimentary amenities to be an added experience. We are always seeking to add new complimentary amenities to provide our guests. Hopefully, by the time you visit us on your next trip, we will have more to offer. Again, thank you for staying with us!

Reviewed March 17, 2014

My husband and I unexpectedly stayed at the hotel Luana after the Aqua Aloha Surf, a hotel we booked on 10/6/13 for 2/28/14-3/7/14 notified us upon our arrival that they were overbooked and that they rebooked us at the Luana Waikiki.

I enjoy planning our vacations and plan most of our activities, restaurants and car rental based on where we were staying so when we were told this after a 6 hour flight from Arizona we were completely shocked and disappointed. We booked our stay at the Aqua Aloha Surf almost 5 months before and are both very seasoned travelers who have fortunately never encountered this before. We were told by the front desk at the Aqua Aloha Surf that the Luana was nicer and would enjoy our stay there. So, they gave us a box of chocolates and paid for our cab to the Luana.

Upon arriving at the Luana, it seems they were not informed completely about our stay. We the displaced travelers now had to finish the job of the staff at the Aqua Aloha Surf and go over our rates & the parking fees (as they were less at the Aqua Aloha Surf). We had to take time out of our vacation to advise people of what they should have known. This to me is not ok and poor customer service. Not to mention that the girl at the front desk of the Luana was quite condescending when I mentioned how dissatisfied I was with my husband and I having to spend our vacation time discussing all of this with her. It was our vacation that we planned for well in advance and we should not have had to been aggravated with all of this.

Our room was not ready upon our arrival so we went to lunch and when we came back we were able to go into our room. The room was fine, simple but comfortable. We stayed in a deluxe room. We had a partial kitchenette, sink, refrigerator, cutlery, cups, plates, coffee maker, no microwave. The bathroom is very simple, they do provide soap, body wash, shampoo, conditioner and body lotion. There is a tub/shower and the towels are of a decent quality. The bed was comfortable as were the linens. We had a small table in our room, which worked well on the days we left early and picked up something for breakfast from the Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf across the street. We had a city view and a small balcony that had 2 chairs and a small table. Our view was of Kalakaua, the gas station below and a side view of the pool. It was not loud every night but there were some times that were louder than others. There is a ton of drawer space and a decent amount of hangers (if there are 2 or more people, I would recommend bringing some extras or ask for more). The room also has a small ironing board and an iron. Wifi in the room is not great and only one person can access it at a time on their device. The room overall could use some upkeep, as we noticed some wear on the walls and on the amoire. The hallways look like they too are ready for some renovations, we noticed stains on the carpets but overall they were not horrible. There are 3 elevators and they are fairly quick, although we did have to wait a little longer on occasion. The lobby is pleasant and they offer free coffee and tea in the morning as well as water with cucumbers or oranges in the afternoon. There is a bar upstairs that we did not see being used as well as a nice sitting area and shell collection. There is a small café just outside the lobby and they offer breakfast and lunch with limited hours. There is a valet and you can park your car for $35 a day.

The location is very convenient and ended up being fine for most things we had planned(a bit of a walk for some of the things we planned and we even had to cancel a few things based on how far things were from the Aqua Aloha Surf). There is an ABC store and another ABC type store right across the street, a gas station next door, as I mentioned earlier the Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf is across the way and is great for a quick breakfast or cup of coffee or tea. Kalakaua has a ton of upscale shopping and some restaurants to choose from.

The #23 bus is on Kalakaua and Saratoga should you want to take it to Diamond Head-you will want to pick it up on the same side of the street where EggsNThings is located. If you wish to take the bus to Downtown Honolulu you can catch the #2 bus right in front of the Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf.

We feel the overbooking at the Aqua Aloha Surf is understandable but we do not feel we were properly accommodated. The Luana is fine but is it that much better than the Aqua Aloha Surf? Possibly if they comped us a night or upgraded our room we would have felt better about our stay, but neither of those things happened. Being displaced is not a good way to start a vacation and it followed us throughout our stay since we had to change plans due to the distance from things we originally scheduled. Overall, our hotel was not the main reason for our visit to Honolulu and we did not spend a ton of time there, but the hotel itself was pleasant enough.

Room Tip: Try not to face Kalakaua or the city view-very loud
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank love2traveltogether

Aloha love2traveltogether,

Mahalo for your recent stay with us. I would like to apologize for any inconvenience you have experienced throughout your visit to Hawaii. It is not our intention to provide service with an overbearing attitude instead we strive to provide service that enhances your experience while in Hawaii, and specifically at the Luana.

I would like to take this opportunity to invite you back to stay with us. Should you have any questions or would like to personalized your next itinerary, I would be more than happy to assist you in planning your next visit. Please do not hesitate to contact me, you can find me at sunchan@aquaresorts.com

Best regards,

Reviewed March 16, 2014

Just spent 3 nights at Luana Waikiki and it was exactly what I expected - a good place and a great deal. The property is dated, but extremely well kept... clean, spacious rooms - down side no microwave; small pool, but nicely kept; good location -just a few blocks from shopping and plenty of restaurants; 10 minute walk from the beach - a nice walk through the park to get there, they have complimentary beach chairs, towels, bikes they you can take to the beach. Ate breakfast at the hotel a couple of mornings and it was very good.
I would definitely stay here again

Aloha atown66,

Thank you for staying with the Luana! and Mahalo for the compliments on the cleanliness of our rooms. We have a fabulous team of Guest Room Attendants that work hard to maintain each room. We are glad you enjoyed our neighborhood and the fantastic breakfast options that Protea has to offer.

Regards,

Reviewed March 14, 2014

Just returned from Hawaii-Oahu on Wednesday 03/12/14 and I stayed @ the Luana Hotel and it was great. I really loved the hotel it is beautiful. The hotel did not have a rating when I booked through my travel agency so I was skeptical but it turned out to be very nice. My room had a mini kitchen, no stove. The front desk staff- hi Ebony was great from check-in to check-out. The concierge Matthew F. was very helpful from the time I checked in, he helped to arrange my tours and confirmed my departure transport to airport so I didn't have to worry about calling. The evening concierge was very nice and helpful also when I decided last minute to change one of my tours. This is my second trip to Hawaii and definitely plan to return again and to this hotel.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
Sunny C, Guest Relations Manager at Luana Waikiki Hotel & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded March 26, 2014

Aloha iLuvHawaii14,

Mahalo for your commendations and this wonderful review of your recent stay with us! Thank you for recognizing Ebony and Matthew. It is always refreshing to hear such great comments from our guests about service and our property. I look forward to personally greeting you on your next visit with us.