My husband and I unexpectedly stayed at the hotel Luana after the Aqua Aloha Surf, a hotel we booked on 10/6/13 for 2/28/14-3/7/14 notified us upon our arrival that they were overbooked and that they rebooked us at the Luana Waikiki.
I enjoy planning our vacations and plan most of our activities, restaurants and car rental based on where we were staying so when we were told this after a 6 hour flight from Arizona we were completely shocked and disappointed. We booked our stay at the Aqua Aloha Surf almost 5 months before and are both very seasoned travelers who have fortunately never encountered this before. We were told by the front desk at the Aqua Aloha Surf that the Luana was nicer and would enjoy our stay there. So, they gave us a box of chocolates and paid for our cab to the Luana.
Upon arriving at the Luana, it seems they were not informed completely about our stay. We the displaced travelers now had to finish the job of the staff at the Aqua Aloha Surf and go over our rates & the parking fees (as they were less at the Aqua Aloha Surf). We had to take time out of our vacation to advise people of what they should have known. This to me is not ok and poor customer service. Not to mention that the girl at the front desk of the Luana was quite condescending when I mentioned how dissatisfied I was with my husband and I having to spend our vacation time discussing all of this with her. It was our vacation that we planned for well in advance and we should not have had to been aggravated with all of this.
Our room was not ready upon our arrival so we went to lunch and when we came back we were able to go into our room. The room was fine, simple but comfortable. We stayed in a deluxe room. We had a partial kitchenette, sink, refrigerator, cutlery, cups, plates, coffee maker, no microwave. The bathroom is very simple, they do provide soap, body wash, shampoo, conditioner and body lotion. There is a tub/shower and the towels are of a decent quality. The bed was comfortable as were the linens. We had a small table in our room, which worked well on the days we left early and picked up something for breakfast from the Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf across the street. We had a city view and a small balcony that had 2 chairs and a small table. Our view was of Kalakaua, the gas station below and a side view of the pool. It was not loud every night but there were some times that were louder than others. There is a ton of drawer space and a decent amount of hangers (if there are 2 or more people, I would recommend bringing some extras or ask for more). The room also has a small ironing board and an iron. Wifi in the room is not great and only one person can access it at a time on their device. The room overall could use some upkeep, as we noticed some wear on the walls and on the amoire. The hallways look like they too are ready for some renovations, we noticed stains on the carpets but overall they were not horrible. There are 3 elevators and they are fairly quick, although we did have to wait a little longer on occasion. The lobby is pleasant and they offer free coffee and tea in the morning as well as water with cucumbers or oranges in the afternoon. There is a bar upstairs that we did not see being used as well as a nice sitting area and shell collection. There is a small café just outside the lobby and they offer breakfast and lunch with limited hours. There is a valet and you can park your car for $35 a day.
The location is very convenient and ended up being fine for most things we had planned(a bit of a walk for some of the things we planned and we even had to cancel a few things based on how far things were from the Aqua Aloha Surf). There is an ABC store and another ABC type store right across the street, a gas station next door, as I mentioned earlier the Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf is across the way and is great for a quick breakfast or cup of coffee or tea. Kalakaua has a ton of upscale shopping and some restaurants to choose from.
The #23 bus is on Kalakaua and Saratoga should you want to take it to Diamond Head-you will want to pick it up on the same side of the street where EggsNThings is located. If you wish to take the bus to Downtown Honolulu you can catch the #2 bus right in front of the Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf.
We feel the overbooking at the Aqua Aloha Surf is understandable but we do not feel we were properly accommodated. The Luana is fine but is it that much better than the Aqua Aloha Surf? Possibly if they comped us a night or upgraded our room we would have felt better about our stay, but neither of those things happened. Being displaced is not a good way to start a vacation and it followed us throughout our stay since we had to change plans due to the distance from things we originally scheduled. Overall, our hotel was not the main reason for our visit to Honolulu and we did not spend a ton of time there, but the hotel itself was pleasant enough.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Luana Waikiki Hotel & Suites is a boutique hotel located just a short stroll to Waikiki Beach and international dining at the Waikiki Gateway. Choose from a variety of exceptionally comfortable accommodations with Hawaiian style decor, including studios with kitchenettes & spacious ocean view suites with full kitchens. Take advantage of our yoga classes, cool folding & cruise bikes to explore Oahu, and beach chairs & towels. With our daily hospitality fee, Luana Waikiki Hotel & Suites allows guests to enjoy many amenities without having to incur misc. charges. These services include DVDNow (Unlimited movies & PS3 games), Waikiki shuttle (complimentary Waikiki shuttle service), daily newspaper, in room coffee, in room safe, local & toll-free calls, and water in lobby. Enjoy the manager's reception on Mon, Wed & Friday from 5p-6p which features wine, cheese, and craft beer service, & live Hawaiian entertainment. Try our on-site restaurant, Fish Hook cafe for some local favorite dishes. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Aqua-Aston Hospitality, LLC, Expedia, Agoda, Priceline, Hotwire, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Orbitz, HotelsforEveryone, Cheap Tickets, Cancelon, HotelQuickly, getaroom.com and TripOnline SA so you can book your Luana Waikiki Hotel & Suites reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Outrigger Luana Waikiki Hotel Honolulu
- Outrigger Hotel Honolulu
- Outrigger Hotel Luana Waikiki
- Outrigger Honolulu
- Honolulu Outrigger
- Luana Waikiki Hotel & Suites Hawaii/Honolulu