“Surprise stay at the Luana”

Luana Waikiki Hotel & Suites
Ranked #36 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Reviewed March 17, 2014

My husband and I unexpectedly stayed at the hotel Luana after the Aqua Aloha Surf, a hotel we booked on 10/6/13 for 2/28/14-3/7/14 notified us upon our arrival that they were overbooked and that they rebooked us at the Luana Waikiki.

I enjoy planning our vacations and plan most of our activities, restaurants and car rental based on where we were staying so when we were told this after a 6 hour flight from Arizona we were completely shocked and disappointed. We booked our stay at the Aqua Aloha Surf almost 5 months before and are both very seasoned travelers who have fortunately never encountered this before. We were told by the front desk at the Aqua Aloha Surf that the Luana was nicer and would enjoy our stay there. So, they gave us a box of chocolates and paid for our cab to the Luana.

Upon arriving at the Luana, it seems they were not informed completely about our stay. We the displaced travelers now had to finish the job of the staff at the Aqua Aloha Surf and go over our rates & the parking fees (as they were less at the Aqua Aloha Surf). We had to take time out of our vacation to advise people of what they should have known. This to me is not ok and poor customer service. Not to mention that the girl at the front desk of the Luana was quite condescending when I mentioned how dissatisfied I was with my husband and I having to spend our vacation time discussing all of this with her. It was our vacation that we planned for well in advance and we should not have had to been aggravated with all of this.

Our room was not ready upon our arrival so we went to lunch and when we came back we were able to go into our room. The room was fine, simple but comfortable. We stayed in a deluxe room. We had a partial kitchenette, sink, refrigerator, cutlery, cups, plates, coffee maker, no microwave. The bathroom is very simple, they do provide soap, body wash, shampoo, conditioner and body lotion. There is a tub/shower and the towels are of a decent quality. The bed was comfortable as were the linens. We had a small table in our room, which worked well on the days we left early and picked up something for breakfast from the Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf across the street. We had a city view and a small balcony that had 2 chairs and a small table. Our view was of Kalakaua, the gas station below and a side view of the pool. It was not loud every night but there were some times that were louder than others. There is a ton of drawer space and a decent amount of hangers (if there are 2 or more people, I would recommend bringing some extras or ask for more). The room also has a small ironing board and an iron. Wifi in the room is not great and only one person can access it at a time on their device. The room overall could use some upkeep, as we noticed some wear on the walls and on the amoire. The hallways look like they too are ready for some renovations, we noticed stains on the carpets but overall they were not horrible. There are 3 elevators and they are fairly quick, although we did have to wait a little longer on occasion. The lobby is pleasant and they offer free coffee and tea in the morning as well as water with cucumbers or oranges in the afternoon. There is a bar upstairs that we did not see being used as well as a nice sitting area and shell collection. There is a small café just outside the lobby and they offer breakfast and lunch with limited hours. There is a valet and you can park your car for $35 a day.

The location is very convenient and ended up being fine for most things we had planned(a bit of a walk for some of the things we planned and we even had to cancel a few things based on how far things were from the Aqua Aloha Surf). There is an ABC store and another ABC type store right across the street, a gas station next door, as I mentioned earlier the Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf is across the way and is great for a quick breakfast or cup of coffee or tea. Kalakaua has a ton of upscale shopping and some restaurants to choose from.

The #23 bus is on Kalakaua and Saratoga should you want to take it to Diamond Head-you will want to pick it up on the same side of the street where EggsNThings is located. If you wish to take the bus to Downtown Honolulu you can catch the #2 bus right in front of the Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf.

We feel the overbooking at the Aqua Aloha Surf is understandable but we do not feel we were properly accommodated. The Luana is fine but is it that much better than the Aqua Aloha Surf? Possibly if they comped us a night or upgraded our room we would have felt better about our stay, but neither of those things happened. Being displaced is not a good way to start a vacation and it followed us throughout our stay since we had to change plans due to the distance from things we originally scheduled. Overall, our hotel was not the main reason for our visit to Honolulu and we did not spend a ton of time there, but the hotel itself was pleasant enough.

Room Tip: Try not to face Kalakaua or the city view-very loud
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Tamara M
Sunny C, Guest Relations Manager at Luana Waikiki Hotel & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded March 30, 2014

Aloha love2traveltogether,

Mahalo for your recent stay with us. I would like to apologize for any inconvenience you have experienced throughout your visit to Hawaii. It is not our intention to provide service with an overbearing attitude instead we strive to provide service that enhances your experience while in Hawaii, and specifically at the Luana.

I would like to take this opportunity to invite you back to stay with us. Should you have any questions or would like to personalized your next itinerary, I would be more than happy to assist you in planning your next visit. Please do not hesitate to contact me, you can find me at sunchan@aquaresorts.com

Best regards,
Guest Services Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,626)

Reviewed March 16, 2014

Just spent 3 nights at Luana Waikiki and it was exactly what I expected - a good place and a great deal. The property is dated, but extremely well kept... clean, spacious rooms - down side no microwave; small pool, but nicely kept; good location -just a few blocks from shopping and plenty of restaurants; 10 minute walk from the beach - a nice walk through the park to get there, they have complimentary beach chairs, towels, bikes they you can take to the beach. Ate breakfast at the hotel a couple of mornings and it was very good.
I would definitely stay here again

Aloha atown66,

Thank you for staying with the Luana! and Mahalo for the compliments on the cleanliness of our rooms. We have a fabulous team of Guest Room Attendants that work hard to maintain each room. We are glad you enjoyed our neighborhood and the fantastic breakfast options that Protea has to offer.

Regards,

Reviewed March 14, 2014

Just returned from Hawaii-Oahu on Wednesday 03/12/14 and I stayed @ the Luana Hotel and it was great. I really loved the hotel it is beautiful. The hotel did not have a rating when I booked through my travel agency so I was skeptical but it turned out to be very nice. My room had a mini kitchen, no stove. The front desk staff- hi Ebony was great from check-in to check-out. The concierge Matthew F. was very helpful from the time I checked in, he helped to arrange my tours and confirmed my departure transport to airport so I didn't have to worry about calling. The evening concierge was very nice and helpful also when I decided last minute to change one of my tours. This is my second trip to Hawaii and definitely plan to return again and to this hotel.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
Sunny C, Guest Relations Manager at Luana Waikiki Hotel & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded March 26, 2014

Aloha iLuvHawaii14,

Mahalo for your commendations and this wonderful review of your recent stay with us! Thank you for recognizing Ebony and Matthew. It is always refreshing to hear such great comments from our guests about service and our property. I look forward to personally greeting you on your next visit with us.

Reviewed March 14, 2014

What a treat to be received by a hotel valet (Alli) who was not just about parking cars...but really cared about and wanted to help each and every guest...(even if they didn't have a car)!! From day one...Alli was incredibly informative about restaurants to go to and places to see...by day two I realized that she was the best "face" of Luana Waikiki... always cheerful and an incredibly hard worker. Even more impressive was that Alli helped guests even on her own time..when not working! The other staff were also always friendly and helpful...The room and lobby were beautiful and clean..Overall I would highly recommend and I look forward to returning...Congratulations to the Luana Waikiki for having such extraordinaire employees who go above and beyond the call of duty to give all guests the best experience possible!!

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business

Aloha Sandra N,

Thank you for this stellar review! We are glad you enjoyed your stay and that you found Alli an extraordinary valet attendant. We have since showed her this review, and she received it well. Our team strives to go above and beyond for our guests and it is great to hear that she was able to provide you with such service.

Reviewed March 13, 2014

Having learned Aqua Resorts took over this hotel I took the "Snooze'n Crooze" package, (room/car/parking), that Aqua Resorts offers. Unfortunately, this staff has not been fully informed of this package which caused a confused/slower check in and check out, (barely made our flight out). I respect Front Desk Jackie for her diligence for assisting with our room, parking and billing. My husband and I had a repeated nice stay-beautiful view, but very noisy a/c; met all our expectations except the parking situation, (valet guys were great). One more note, be careful, the tub is very slippery; no hand/grab rails.

Room Tip: Above 5th floor to avoid street noise.
1  Thank napavalleygal
Sunny C, Guest Relations Manager at Luana Waikiki Hotel & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded March 20, 2014

Aloha napavalleygal,

Mahalo for taking the time to write a review for us. It is unfortunate that we did not provide for a smooth check in and we do apologize for any inconvenience we may have caused. This issue has been brought to management's attention, addressed and our team is fully aware of its details. Thank you for recognizing Jackie and we are happy to hear that you enjoyed the view.

Again, we would like to thank you for staying with us, Mahalo!

Warm regards,

Reviewed March 10, 2014

My daughter-in-law made the reservations for us (thru another site that is NOT flexible with changes!!), but we had a bit of a mix up on what nights we were staying. Brenna, one of the check in staff, spent quite a bit of time with us making everything right. Even the manager came out to see what he could help with. Talk about amazing customer service. Never once did anyone pass us off or say they couldn't help us. I really felt like Brenna worked with us until it we had everything fixed. All the staff throughout the hotel were always polite, cheerful, and helpful.
The lobby and rooms were clean and beautiful. Each room has a wonderful lanai with chairs to enjoy the views. Good job Luana Waikiki!! Thanks very much!

2  Thank cmarypoppins

Aloha cmarypoppins,

Thank you for your commendation and for recognizing Brenna as our Rock Star! We work really hard to personalize each experience and we are glad that Brenna and our team were able to accommodate your requests. Again, we would like to thank you for staying with us at the Luana.

Regards,

Reviewed March 8, 2014

I spent a week in another hotel and moved to this hotel. First impression of my room, very nice. It was big, had a small kitchen setup, a large lanai with a great view over the park. The woman at the front desk was sweet, and allowed me to check in early. The pool was wonderful compared to the previous place I stayed at.
The cons: the air conditioner was not working, it was an old window air conditioner. The maintenance men came in and fixed it. Unfortunately, it went off again in the middle of the night and it was quite warm and uncomfortable. The next morning while I was getting ready to check out it was hot and not fun to rush around in a hot room.
I've learned that the air-conditioning unit has been replaced. I would stay here again.

Room Tip: A higher room overlooking the park was nice.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank flygirl_7

Aloha flygirl_7,

It is great to hear that you enjoyed your vacation here at the Luana. My guest service agents are thrilled your early accommodation requests were met. It is unfortunate that the air condition unit was faulty during your stay, but we are happy to say that we have addressed the issue. Again, we would like to thank you for staying with the Luana Waikiki.