“Which are we going?”

Luana Waikiki Hotel & Suites
Ranked #35 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Reviewed March 7, 2014

This hotel has been recently taken over by a new owner. Our impression is that it is at a crossroads. It needs some investment to bring it current and less tired. If it doesn't get it could be on a downward slide. On balance our experience was very good for what we were looking for. The reception was very welcoming and the room was fine. A few nicks here and there but it was clean and the bed was comfortable. The A/C was a bit noisy, but it worked like white noise. We booked a partial ocean view and we had that with the water being about a quarter of the mile away. A large park adjoined our side, unlike the gas station and/or busy street on other sides. This made the area seem very welcoming for someone coming from a snow bound home. You are at one end of the Waikiki strip and this enabled us to walk out and back as much as we wanted. You are close enough that the beach was reachable although I would not have wanted to pack a lot of beach gear. We didn't and just walked from one end to the other and continued onto and up Diamond Head, and back. A good day's walk.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Douglas H
Sunny C, Guest Relations Manager at Luana Waikiki Hotel & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded March 20, 2014

Aloha Douglas H,

We are glad you enjoyed the Luana experience and thank you for your feedback. We are always looking to improve the aesthetics of our property. Renovating is tough at times, so we work hard to find ways to personalize guest services. Again, I would like to thank you for staying with us.

Mahalo,
Guest Services Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,658)

Reviewed March 5, 2014

I stayed here for 8 nights while traveling on work (with some vacation mixed in). The hotel is located on the more north end of Waikiki, and I thought the location was great. It was a short walk to the Convention Center, and it was also easy to walk to the shops, restaurants, and beaches of Waikiki or to the Ala Moana Center. Our room was on the 3rd floor facing east, so we didn't have too much of a view, but we did have a sliding glass door to a small balcony. For the most part, the room wasn't too loud, except sometimes in the morning traffic could be a little noisy. The room itself included a small kitchen area with countertops, a refrigerator, a coffee maker, dishes, and utensils (no microwave). There are also 2 gas grills available to use down at the pool area. The room was clean and spacious, but the decor was a little dated. It seems like this is an older hotel that is slowly being upgraded. The hotel includes a small pool and a small gym (but I didn't use either). There are also washers and dryers available to use for about $1 each. The restaurant downstairs (Protea) had really good breakfast (it's a little pricey but so is everything in Waikiki). Some downsides to the hotel: the elevators were really slow and inconsistent, parking is $35 per day. The hotel staff were great, particularly the valet staff and the concierge. The hotel is on the small side (15 floors), which is kind of nice because there's less noise and people coming and going. Also, for the price point, I think the amenities and location are excellent. I would definitely consider staying here again if traveling to Waikiki. The only deterrent for me might be the parking rate.

Room Tip: Rooms on higher floors probably have better views.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank Shannon R

Aloha Shannon R,

Thank you for providing our viewers a wonderful description of our property and surroundings. We are glad that you enjoyed our location and your stay with us. Again, thank you.

Warm regards,

Reviewed March 3, 2014

I booked this hotel through Hotwire. If you are unaware how Hotwire works, I chose my star category and location and, once I paid for the reservation, then I got to find out where I am staying. I chose 3.5 star thinking I was getting a nicer hotel. This was far from 3.5 star.

The room I was assigned had to be the worst room in the building (maybe saved for Hotwire guests who tried to get a good deal!), it was on the 2nd floor with a city view. The view was really of the gas station right next door. This property is right on Kalakaua Avenue which is super busy. The road noise was unbelievable. The door to go to the balcony was literally a wooden (swing open type) door, not a sliding balcony door like most other hotels. 3.5 stars?

I had to change rooms after one night (so that I could get sleep). I had to pay an extra $30/night for a partial ocean view and at a higher floor. I'll admit it was a little better, (I got a sliding glass door this time!). Still a little noisy when the door is open, but that comes with Waikiki.

Parking was $35/night which I find pretty ridiculous. I have stayed in Waikiki several times and most places are $25/night.

Also, don't be fooled by the pictures. I thought the pictures made the hotel seem really nice and updated. The hotel seems to have been renovated at some point by adding granite countertops. I believe this must have been the extent of the renovation. I'll admit the countertops were nice but rest of the room was a little dated. Wicker chairs, old looking bedding, etc.

On a more serious note, I traveled with my family including an 18 month old. The balcony railings were not safe for her. I doubt this is a Luana Waikiki issue, and rather a code issue, but my child could have easily fallen through the rails. I don't say this to bring the property down, I say this as a parent who looked over at his child playing on the balcony and freaked out realizing what could happen. I'm sure Luana Waikiki is up to code (or at least I hope they are) but I have no doubt my child could easily fit through spacing of the railing bars. See my attached picture and judge for yourself. Needless to say, the balcony door remained shut.

I don't have a vendetta against the property nor Hotwire. I will use Hotwire again. But just be aware that things are not always what they seem (3.5 star?? Maybe 2) and you get what you pay for (I got a great price on the room before I paid to change rooms).

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Kevin M
Rudy F, General Manager at Luana Waikiki Hotel & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded March 4, 2014

Aloha Kevin,

Mahalo for taking the time to share your feedbacks with us. We sincerely appreciate guests' feedbacks as we will keep them in mind for future improvements.

As you have mentioned, opaque websites such as Hotwire & Priceline do not give guest the option to select a specific type of room (view, size, suite, bedding, etc.) the reservation is confirmed for the modest (lead-in) room category in most hotels. For guests that prefer a particular room category or a superior room category, we would suggest them to book with us directly on our website. Here at Luana Waikiki, we have 8 different room categories ranging from a standard city view room to a 2 bedroom/2 bath suite so we are confident that we can accommodate most of our guests' needs.

The lanai guardrails are in compliant with the initial construction of the hotel and we are considering to upgrade them in the near future. We have a couple rooms that have the upgraded glass panel lanai railings and I apologize that we did not extend that you as an option, they are however on the 2nd floor of the building.

As far as the valet parking rate, although it may seem high, it is competitive with most Waikiki hotels. There are hotels in Waikiki that charge $42 for valet service.

We hope your visit to Oahu was memorable and we humbly ask you to reconsider the Luana Waikiki again for your next visit back to our beautiful islands.

With warm regards,
Rudy Fao

Reviewed March 2, 2014

Booked through Hotwire so I didn't know what I was going to get. It isnt a big-brand hotel but my experiences with Aqua properties in Honolulu so far have all been good. The Luana was an Outrigger property but now its part of Aqua. For around $130 you get a HUGE room with kitchenette including all you need, fridge, sink, microwave and plenty of counter space. Had a 2nd floor room with a King and sofa bed. Front desk was hugely helpful, got us into the room at 11am which was awesome. Pool is lovely with a view of Derussey Park and plenty of chairs. The Luana is right on Derussey park so walking to the beach is very pleasant and you can easily access the beach from the park or through the Hilton Hawaiian Village. Close to great dining and pretty much in a perfect place. This place is quieter than other hotels I have stayed in since the rooms are oriented toward the park and not the street.

Room Tip: East facing will be quieter than West but since its on a park either side is pretty good.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank akranger
Sunny C, Guest Relations Manager at Luana Waikiki Hotel & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded March 10, 2014

Aloha Akranger,

Mahalo for staying with us again and thank you for this review on your last visit with us. We are happy to hear that Aqua properties are your destinations of choice here in Hawaii. Thank you again for staying with us!

Reviewed March 2, 2014

We stayed at the Aqua Luana for 2 nights mid February 2014 and were up graded ( much appreciated) to a corner , well furnished one bedroom suite with full kitchen, partial ocean view , and balcony on 4th floor overlooking Fort deRussy park.( Better views I would think from higher levels) Bathroom quite tiny, but suitable for our short stay.
Reception Staff were very helpful even with an early check in. The position is central to main strip, restaurants, ABC supermarket , the beach, as well as pleasant walk to the famous Ala Moana shopping centre! Definitely good value for this accommodation.

• Stayed: February 2014
1  Thank Cathy147
Sunny C, Guest Relations Manager at Luana Waikiki Hotel & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded March 6, 2014

Aloha Cathy147,

Thank you for the wonderful review and the fantastic comments! We are glad that you found the nearby eateries and beaches at your convenience. Thank you for staying with us and we look forward to having you with us again soon.

Mahalo,

Reviewed March 2, 2014

We spent a week at this hotel, and considering the price we paid, the rooms were clean and in good repair, the personell was effcient and friendly. The pool area is rather nice (pool heated and very clean) and overlooks a nearby park, towels are provided and the longe chairs are covered with new covers daily. The little restaurant near the lobby provides good quality healthy food and even nice mixed drinks. We had a very good stay, and nothing to complain about. Like most other hotels in Waikiki this hotel is located along a major road and if you plan to sleep early you just have to make sure to close the window well and close the curtains. I would recommend this place to friends.

Room Tip: if available I would recommend to ask for a room that's on the west, north, or south side, the e...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple

Aloha argonaut2,

We are delighted you enjoyed your stay with us and Mahalo for your feedback! We are very happy to hear that you will recommend our hotel to your friends. Again, thank you for staying with us at the Luana.

Reviewed March 1, 2014

Stayed here Feb 25-27 and found staff, front desk, Matteo at valet service, activity counter clerk very informative and polite. We were able to get a inner city tour within 1/2 hr arriving, took it as our room wasn't available for another 4 hrs.. Discover Hawaii, driver Keith was terrific, funny, informative.
Room was very comfortable, clean. The small café attached provided excellent breakfasts, service..Prices were good also...so were their omelettes..

Room Tip: 2nd floor, corner unit was quiet, away from the busy streets. Could see fireworks from Hilton, part...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank susieq6388
Sunny C, Guest Relations Manager at Luana Waikiki Hotel & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded March 2, 2014

Aloha susieq6388,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review for the Luana Waikiki. We are glad that you enjoyed your vacation and tours. I posted a copy of this review on our back office bulletin board so that Matteo and the other team members will see this wonderful review you left for us. I will personally let them know when they work next. Again, I would like to thank you for staying with us.