“Nothing fancy, great price, decent location”

Luana Waikiki Hotel & Suites
Ranked #37 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Carlsbad, California
“Nothing fancy, great price, decent location”
Reviewed July 26, 2013

This is not a fancy waikiki hotel, but it is nicely redone. We had a 1 bedroom with full kitchen, great so we did not have to eat out every meal. Good location at the top / north side of Waikiki. Small walk to beach across the park. Overall the hotel is good, clean, comfortable.

Do wish they had a hot tub. The pool seemed to be salt water, don't open your eyes under water! They do have 2 barbecues which is great, but can be busy at times. Overall nice hotel, great price and if you don't mind a little walking it is good place to stay.

Room Tip: Get the room on corner if possible, lots of extra room inside
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (470)
  • Korean first
Crestline, California
Reviewed July 24, 2013

I stayed here for 3 nights, back in November 2012, and now that I'm a Trip Advisor member now, I wanted to write a review for here. This place is really nice! I wasn't sure at first, but, after 3 nights here, I can say, I really enjoyed staying here. The front desk staff was very nice, and friendly, they upgrade me to a higher floor, although facing towards the city of HNL, and some nearby hotels, I was worried about street noise at night. Nope. Didn't hear a thing at night. The walls and windows, are insulated very well. I found the bed to be very comfortable, as well as the AC unit very quiet. I'm a light sleeper, and this is very important to me. The room is very roomy, nice shower pressure, hot water, roomy bathtub, etc. It is just a few easy blocks to walk to the beach, no biggie, it's nice to return to a quiet hotel room, away from all of the Waikiki noise.
On my last night here, I had a very early wake up call for a 5am shuttle to the airport the next morning, some rude hotel guest were partying down the hallway, I called security, they quickly came up, and shut down their stupid party, and kicked out some other people that these rude people invited up to their room. Major Kudos to the staff!!!! I've been to Waikiki a few times, I would stay at this hotel again, highly recommended!!!

Room Tip: Make sure to request a high floor room. It does not matter what view you get, you won't hear muc...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
4 Thank flyboymlc
Gillette, Wyoming
Reviewed July 23, 2013

Our family stayed from 06/17-6/23. Front desk staff were amazing. Always helpful. One of our room's a/c unit was not working when we arrived and they quickly had maintence up to fix it. Our rooms were always clean and fully stocked. Loved that the hotel was located right downtown and walking distance to the beach, dining, and shopping. Will definetly stay again at Outrigger Luana Waikiki.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Waterloo
Reviewed July 18, 2013

So many ++'s but it comes down to a good night's sleep doesn't it?! We were greeted by an amazing valet/bellman at 10:30 pm at night, checked in and found out we were upgraded for our one night stay to the top floor (1606), but as we arrived on the floor my husband's spidey sense went off when he could hear the mechanical room thumping away as soon as we stepped off the elevator... and there it is folks... all night long! A couple times a minute thump, whir, click click click.Our one bedroom kitchen, living room, two balcony room with THE most amazing views of the ocean doesn't mean diddly when you don't get any sleep.
Strengths:
Customer Service - excellent (although it does freak me out a little when the front desk agent is a self proclaimed 'crazy' night staffer)
Valet service was excellent
Room views - probably one of the best unobstructed views in Honolulu
Pool - pretty terrific
Fitness room - well appointed
Room - upgrade was acceptable
Balconies - small but functional
Beds - TOO SMALL
Rooms (Fit & Finish) - Tired doors/Windows/entrance ways/sliders/screen doors
Furniture - was comfortable
Location - centrally located
Kitchenette - liked the granite, dishes & utensils seemed tired, but functional
Bathroom - dated but functional
Good $$$ for Honolulu. We stayed here for one night before going to our final destination for a week because we got in so late and it was a $200 savings for our late arrival. As part of our planning we are not disappointed we made our stop at the Outrigger, would just make sure we were a little choosier about our room even on an upgrade!

Room Tip: Avoid the top floor - mechanical room noise - ALL NIGHT LONG = no sleep.
1 Thank UWaterlooTraveller
phoenix
Reviewed July 13, 2013

Stayed here for a couple nights before boarding a Hawaiian cruise ship. On the plus side, the staff was very hospitable and friendly. Rooms were clean but very average. We had 1-BR suite & kids had very uncomfortable sleep on extremely thin sofa bed mattress. Kitchen was barely stocked with even bare essentials (ie: no paper towels, etc.). Location was at far end of a very busy strip, so will have to walk quite a bit to get anywhere if you don't want to take expensive taxis. Beach closest to hotel is very small and narrow, and filled with never-ending rocks once you enter the water, so be aware. Coffee shop is extremely small, but fine and convenient for quick breakfast. We appreciated their offer to hold our bags and let us into a facility to shower and change on the day we checked out, but were still planning on getting picked up back there again after a tour later that afternoon. Problem was that this facility had non-flushing toilet, no toilet paper or paper towels, no soap whatsoever (for sink or shower) and a shower that literally dripped out the thinnest and coldest stream of water you can imagine! Impossible to take a shower in there after having already gotten greasy with sunscreen and needing to rinse off salt water from our morning snorkel tour. Would not waste time here again.

• Stayed July 2013
Woodway, Texas, United States
Reviewed July 12, 2013

This was my first visit to Honolulu but I was told by my husband about the Outrigger luana waikiki because he stayed there years ago. First the front desk staff very great. They were friendly, helpful and Cared about my stay. The hotel was convenient to shopping, restaurants, and the beach. I was upgraded to a deluxe room with a full kitchen which was great however this is where the problem began. Bugs not bedbugs but ants and cockroaches. I know it's an older hotel but I have a problem with having ants on my things and so afraid of taking them home. The first room had them but the kind manager at the front desk changed my room for me. At first look there didn't appear to be any in the 2nd room but I was mistaken. Ants in the microwave, rice cooker, sink, salt shaker, dishes, and some die ones in the refrig. Each time I called the front desk about the problem they responded immediately. A very pleasant gentleman came up to spray the ants twice. The spray didn't kill them but I think that's what killed the roach the size of my thumb. The spray although a natural environment friendly spray was too much for me. I have allergies. but more so I do not do well around bugs If I would stay there again I would not have a kitchen which may reduce the changes for ants. If you can deal with the ants then it's a good hotel. Please please get an exterminator.

1 Thank Aquanetta B
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed July 7, 2013

We stayed here for two weeks with three kids. What I like about it was that it was set back across the park and had a pool which was a lot quieter than the hotels on the beach front. We had a deluxe room with a bedroom and kitchen which made it very roomy and comfortable. We were able to cook our own meals and have breakfast at our own leisure whilst sitting on the balcony overlooking the park and beach. The location was handy to all the good shops and the beach and restaurant. We had a fantastic time, found it very relaxing and a good price for what we got. We are already planning to return.

Room Tip: choose an ocean view room, it is lovely
1 Thank nomads5
OutriggerLuanaWaikik, Front Office Manager at Luana Waikiki Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, August 8, 2013
Aloha nomads5

Mahalo for taking the time to write a review on your recent family vacation. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay with us, and hope to welcome you back to the Outrigger Luana Waikiki on your next visit to Oahu!