5 people are viewing this hotel
$219
Free cancellation until 02/09/23
Reserve now, pay at stay
$188
Free cancellation until 02/09/23
Vio.com
$178
travelup.com$190
Priceline$219
Algotels$240
2,006 results
All reviews fish hook fort derussy park bbq area partial ocean view full kitchen across the street kalakaua ave queen bed valet parking city view minute walk to the beach fitness center beach towels coffee maker mini fridge resort fee small pool
Selected filters
Reviewed November 8, 2007

This is honestly one of the worst hotel experiences I've ever had in my life. We are a young couple in our mid 20's who enjoy traveling alot and are not difficult people to deal with. However, this one is truly a hotel experience to remember forever. I just returned from a 5 night stay at the Outrigger Luana and booked it through Travelocity, which I will also never do again. So before booking this hotel, we read great reviews about it on Trip Advisor and searched for the lowest rate. It turned out that Travelocity had the best rate because the site clearly stated that there was "Free Parking" at the hotel. Since most hotels in the Waikiki area charge $15 to $25 a night for parking, we decided to book it with Travelocity. To ensure that Free Parking was a guarantee, we even called the Customer Service number and was confirmed by one of the staffs that Parking was included for free.

When we got there, the hotel manager told us that parking was $18/day even tho we had the confirmation printed out with a print screen saying that Free Parking was included as one of the amenities. She told us that they never had free parking even tho it stated on our reservation. So she called Travelocity on the spot when we tried checking in and they said that they don't have free parking stated on their site. Turns out that Travelocity updated their site since we booked it 2 months ago and deleted the free parking. The manager then insisted that she would try to figure out how the Free Parking even got there in the first place. At one point, they were even trying to accuse us of modifying the confirmation even tho we had a print out of it! Can you believe that? First of all, why the would you ever put your guests in this situation where you have doubts on how the confirmation turned out. I thought that was extremely unprofessional of them and was highly disappointed. We also felt so uncomfortable staying there because all the staff knew that we were the ones who had the "parking issue" and was not too friendly to us. Anyhow, they really ruined the reputation for the Outrigger chain hotel. If I were them, I would just easily have taken care of the $90 parking especially when we had the confirmation printed out and was so upset over it. I thought overall it was so unfair and that it was a false advertisement. Bottom line is regardless if it's Travelocity's fault or not, they should just cover it and somehow try to get reimbursement with Travelocity and not inconvenient the guests by making us call and contact Travelocity directly. This was our vacation! We did not have to even deal with this! If it wasn't for the parking mess, I might stay here again. But because of it, I rather stay somewhere else where it's closer to the beach and provide me with better customer service. Enough said, just never again at this hotel! Awful experience!

Date of stay: November 2007
14  Thank charebear
Reviewed October 31, 2007

I read the reviews of this hotel on Tripadvisor.com and took into account the plusses and minuses of this property before booking my reservation. I just returned from a five-night stay at the Outrigger Luana and I'm happy to say I made the right choice!
For $135/night, I got a "park view" studio room, which faces Fort DeRussy R&R Park and the ocean, which was very nice! I found the queen bed and furnishings extremely comfortable and nice to look at. There's an "eSafe" in the armoire closet for your laptop and other valuables. There's a good-sized TV and an Ethernet cable connected to the Internet! Granted, it's not wireless, but it's cable Internet (Oceanic Cable) and it's FREE. No dial-up here.
While I didn't have a kitchen room, my studio room had a nice granite countertop, sink and mini-fridge, which kept my leftover dinners fresh. (Just go downstairs to the friendly Front Desk folks and have them microwave your meals.) I bought fresh fruits, veggies, bagels and cream cheese, and guava juice. Having the fridge saved me money. There are kitchen amenities like utensils, plates and glasses too.
I had a handicapped bathroom without a tub, which was fine; the shower was great. Some reviewers mentioned there's a lack of space for personal toiletries, which is true. So I kept them on the granite countertop outside.
I exercised at the small Fitness Center, mostly for weight training (machines and free weights). There are two treadmills and a bike, which is just right for this small condo hotel.
The Luana staff are extremely friendly and helpful; they greet you when you leave and greet you when you return. Check-in and check-out was extremely fast and efficient. Security is always a concern for someone traveling alone and I felt very safe; it's very comforting to see hotel security walking the property. The Bell Staff and Housekeeping are also friendly and helpful too.
I didn't bother getting a car since I'm from Honolulu and know my way around by bus (TheBus) and by foot. The Luana is so close to everything, just get a good map (ask the Front Desk for one), buy a multi-day bus pass and explore on your own. The Luana is centrally-located and close to shopping and transportation. I'm a runner so I ran all over Waikiki and Honolulu with a runner's backpack, water and food. You might see runners training for December's Honolulu Marathon (they run in packs).
Something fun you might want to try is going on the Outrigger Reef Hotel's catamaran, which is within walking distance of the Luana. Supposedly, it's the fastest catamaran ride in Waikiki. The hour-long experience is better than an amusement ride that last mere minutes.

7  Thank RunningTourist
Reviewed October 9, 2007

Me and my wife were looking for a hotel that was in our budget for our honeymoon. I work for the airlines and this was the hotel who was giving be a better rate than the rest. We arrived at 11am to the hotel and were not expecting to have a room ready. To our surprise we had a room ready and to our amazement had been upgraded from a partial ocean view to a full ocean view on the top floor. The rooms were desent in size and beds were comfortable. Appart from the excellent location to the beach and shopping I would recommend this hotel and I would definately stay here again.

Date of stay: October 2007
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
3  Thank SpiritFA
Reviewed October 3, 2007

I booked a hotel room at the Outrigger Luana Waikiki because of a convention at the Hilton Hawaiian Villiage where I usually stay. The Luana is a very good value and just about as close to the beach as you can get without being on the beach. Even though I booked an "Ocean View" room, I was still told on checking that I was upgraded to an ocean view room. Weird, but I didn't really care that much. The room on first glace was very modern and clean. The kitchenette was furnished with kitchen maid appliances and was spotless and the rest of the room was just as nice. The bathroom was very small and seemed clean, but I noticed later that there was quite a bit of rust around the tub. It appears that the only part of the room that wasn't refurbished was the tub and shower. Housekeeping failed twice to replace the remote that had been broken (the tile floor must have done a number on the remote). I'm not sure if they were ignoring me, or that they just didn't have any extra remotes for the 27" Sony TV. The view was nice across the park and I could look right now to most of Waikiki and Diamond Head.

I felt that I did get my money from the hotel, but the room was a little disappointed given the glowing reviews on this site. I can only guess that maybe my bathroom wasn't completely redone. I probably wouldn't stay there again, but families looking to save some money but still have an ocean view will probably be pleased. Not really a business hotel, but I'm guessing that isn't its target market.

Date of stay: October 2007
4  Thank tempejim
Reviewed September 5, 2007

I went with my wife to this hotel in September 2005 and we had a very nice experience. Good hotel for its price and fantastic location. We have stayed also at the Outrigger Maui Eldorado and have also a nice stay. You can book this hotel without any problems. Just a few blocks from Waikiki beach and easy access by car to all important spots of Oahu. Nice shops close and amazing restaurants just across the street.

Date of stay: September 2005