We stayed at the Ohana Waikiki Malia for 10 nights in August 2012. We were pleasantly surprised that we were given a high floor ocean facing room at check-in. After exploring the hotel, I would not have been happy with a lower floor, or a room on the other side of the building that faced the neighboring hotel. We came into this trip with modest expectations having stayed at the Sheraton Resort on our last trip to Waikiki, but we found this hotel adequate given our luck in getting a good room. If you are looking for an inexpensive hotel and get a good price, this hotel is definitely worth a look. You can tell that the Ohana Malia is an older building that has been upgraded in a piecemeal fashion, and there's no hiding the lipstick on the pig with ice machines on only 2 floors and three different sets of elevators that only go to select floors. Here is a list of the pros and cons of the hotel that we found during our stay:
- Good hotel location only a 5 minute walk to the beach and in the heart of Waikiki shopping and dining.
- Good housekeeping and friendly staff
- Pleasant view from our room
- Rooms were furnished in keeping with a 3 star hotel
- Excellent price for a Waikiki central hotel
- Poor amenities with no on-site gym, a minuscule plunge pool, and no comfortable common areas
- Scary $20 parking garage if you rent a large vehicle or are not a good driver
- Archaic elevator system that requires you to go down to the lobby and get in a different elevator to get to the parking and/or laundry room
- Over half of the rooms in the hotel have a view directly into a neighboring building 40 feet away.
- Lots of noisy Waikiki bars nearby, and a bar/club in the base of the hotel (could be a pro too I suppose, but not if you value quiet while you sleep)
- Clearly a hotel that has been upgraded from a 2.5 star to a 3 star, but still has the bones of a 2.5 star
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- OHANA Waikiki Malia by Outrigger is conveniently located in Central Waikiki on Kuhio Avenue and is a short stroll to a wide variety of shopping and dinning on Kalakaua Avenue and the Waikiki Beach Walk promenade. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Priceline and Hotels.com so you can book your OHANA Waikiki Malia by Outrigger reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Ohana Waikiki Malia Honolulu
- OHANA Waikiki Malia By Outrigger Hawaii/Honolulu