“excellent budget style property”

OHANA Waikiki Malia by Outrigger
Ranked #47 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Reviewed August 15, 2012

the Malia is a great property, budget price range but nice rooms and very clean and comfortable. great to have an IHOP downstairs too, the kitchenette rooms are a great way to help keep the food bill down
great staff !

Room Tip: Kitchenette rooms are great - large and well set out
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
4  Thank crispy_smith
Write a ReviewReviews (1,097)

Reviewed August 4, 2012

They have finally added a pool to the Malia, so we stayed there. dependable Ohana property; cheerful helpful staff. The pool is basically a plunge pool and also has a hot tub. No lounge chairs to hang out during the day but great if you want to just cool down before dinner. If you need to hang at a pool all day; you can use the nice one at the Waikiki West , a sister property, 1 block down. Room size average; toiletries OK,Nice to have real glasses and real coffe cups.Nothing outstandingly bad.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank SFLollyPopCouple
Reviewed August 3, 2012

Booked this hotel for a 10 day family vacation in February. As the trip got closer I started reading reviews in early July and started to worry. We were very pleasantly surprise how nice the staff and the facilities were . This is an older property about 10 minute walk from the beach. Swimming pool is a small lap pool and the spa was good. Nice small patio area with bar service and some bar food (nachos, chip n salsa, taco's, pizza). We stayed in the older area of the hotel and the room are a 7 out of 10 (Clean) and no problems with the elevator as far as the wait.
We book a 1bedroom room for adult privacy and had 2 singles that were sofa's in the living room. Also traveled with my folk and they were able to book a nice handicap room, with wheelchair accessiblility . this room had a queen size bed and a sofa folding bed in the living room.
Attached to the property is a I-hop restaurant.
A nice pizza place down the street (2blks) was reasonable- 'Serino's' I think was the name. the one attached to the hotel was very pricey. Also a nice little bakery next door to the pizzeria.
Adults.....plz pack your alcohol within you luggage, cause you'll pay plenty over in Waikiki. We ran out and went to Walmart , 1blk from the Ala Moana shopping center. Walmart had mixers, sodas, shirts, beach towels and small souvenirs and decent prices.
Use the free pink trolley shuttle to travel to Walmart
if your in Waikiki on a Friday night in the summer there are fireworks at 7:45pm at the Hilton Village beach.

Very nice property for a reasonable Hawaiian family vacation without breaking the bank.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
7  Thank Big_Game_Kimo
Reviewed July 12, 2012

I was surprised to feel so unwelcome at the reception desk. I was expecting more in the land of aloha! Felt rushed and the guy( I guess this employee was not worth remembering) did not even directing us to where exactly where to find our room. Beautiful lobby, though. Pool/ jacuzzi relatively small. Not much to do over here. Didn't know where to find the icemaker or late night vending machines?no info from your workers! Took us awhile how to properly operate the elevator. Did I mention it had nice decor? There is a bar called Rivals in it. Did not go there. Went across the street instead. Amazing shopping complex next door! There is an activities desk. I did not see parking; just an unloading area at entrance. I suggest staying in a five star resort to get the royal treatment. Expected more than this! Stayed in a room with two beds. Need to make sure you close bathroom door in order to be able to bathe. No microwave. Small hidden fridge. No ice trays. Good luck finding ice because I couldn' t find machine!

• Stayed: July 2012
1  Thank intheraw
Reviewed July 6, 2012

We chose the location because it was close to the apartment my friend's son was renting. We were pleased to find that it was also close to beach, shopping, restaurants, and the tourist scene you would expect from Waikiki. What we did not expect were the hookers and pimps that hang out at night on Kuhio Dr in front of the hotel and in both blocks on either side of the hotel. Next block over on Kalakaua was much more upscale. Opt for one block closer to the beach if your price point allows. The room was OK for the time that we spent there. The parking garage was ridiculous...the absolute worst I have ever experienced in the entire world. If you are renting a car, go somewhere else. Too scary, dangerous and risky. We could not get the Internet to work. Finally they sent a repairman to our room at about 10:00 pm to fix it the night before we left so we could check on our flight arrangements. Elevators took forever. Don't think I would ever stay there again.

• Stayed: June 2012
5  Thank Karen P
Reviewed July 3, 2012

Pros:

The hotel is in a very good location. Walking distance to the beach, the strip and alot of restaurants. There's a bar downstairs with a handsome bartender - Eric. There is also the Slice of Waikiki-very good pizza, very nice employees. The hotel provides daily maid service. SOME housekeepers were outstanding. Loved coming into newly made beds.

Cons:

Horrible, I mean HORRIBLE customer service! Front desk personnels were rude. They talk to you like you don't understand English! Some raises their voice on you! Parking employees and some securities were also rude. I swear, just cause I look young doesn't mean you can treat me like you're my mother.
The standard rooms did not have microwaves. We stayed there for 11 days and asked for one but hotel manager said they can't provide us one due to electrical issues. We asked if we could just check out and find another hotel with microwave but we're told most hotels in Hawaii have the same problem. (Aqua Island Colony down Seaside Ave has a microwave AND a little kitchenette in their standard rooms!! Even a lanai more than twice as big!!)
When we arrived (and throughout the stay) .. The toilet bowl was so sticky. We never figured out what it was. I had to roll toilet paper around the seat everytime I had to use it.
Lanai is only enough for one chair. Pool is sooo small. Parking garage is really small compare to the other ones around the area. And did I mention.. One of the ladies was RUDE.
Security- we liked how elevator is keyed entrance, but if you have fam or friends visiting you at night.. This is not the hotel for you. A friend of mine was literally kicked out by a security because she wasn't registered. Which part of visiting did you not understand? They did not even let her in at all! She lives in Hawaii! If my roommate didn't have our car rental, I would have drove to her instead.

Overall- we weren't happy with our stay. Never going back here just to be treated like crap. I wish I stayed somewhere else. 11 days of vacay ruined by this stay.

• Stayed: June 2012
2  Thank Jaxx07
Management response:Responded July 13, 2012

Aloha and Mahalo for posting your review on Tripadvisor.

We appreciate your positive comments and sincerely apologize for the negative experience you had with our employees. We are taking measures to follow up on this complaint and work on improving our customer service.

I also apologize for the misunderstanding regarding microwaves in our standard rooms. We only have microwaves in some of our one bedroom units. Are lanais are really standing lanais as you mentioned, although our one bedroom units do have large lanais.

We were very excited to finally have a pool built in October of 2011. Yes, it is small but we were limited in the amount of space we had. All of our guests are welcome to use the pools at our sister hotels, the OHANA Waikiki East and the OHANA Waikiki West.

For all of guests safety, we ask that everyone in the room register at the front desk. Please accept our apology for your friend's inconvenience.

We would like to welcome you back some day. Please contact me directly so that I can over see your reservation and stay.

A Hui Hou, (until we meet again)

Nora Weatherwax

Reviewed June 22, 2012

very friendly staff, helpfull, and clean room. most hotels in Waikiki are old and this one was but they did recently update this hotel. we did not use or even see the pool we were there for a short time. its not your big resort on the beach, but the location is good and within walking distance topretty much everything. the beach was a quick 10 min walk. would definitly stay there again. one downfall, no fitness center

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends