“great choice”

OHANA Waikiki Malia by Outrigger
Ranked #47 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Reviewed May 4, 2012

Our stay in the Malia was very nice. The hotel was clean and quiet. The front desk staff were friendly and helpful. We were able to book through their military liason and save on our room and parking, I highly recommend looking into that if you are military. The parking garage was clean and not smelly(unlike others in waikiki). The parking attendants were also helpful and pleasant. The ramps up and down were steep but after the first couple of trips in and out it didn't seem so bad. I was especially glad to see that the pictures that the hotel had on its site accurately depicted the room that we got.

1  Thank abhcoop
NoraWeatherwax, General Manager at OHANA Waikiki Malia by Outrigger, responded to this reviewResponded May 16, 2012

Aloha,

Thank you for submitting your positive review. Thank you also for your service to our country. Our Military Liasion office is our connection to our military personal and we welcome the opportunity to be of service.

Our housekeeping department does an excellent job of keeping our rooms and public areas clean. I will be sure to let them know of your comment.

I am glad you were able to adapt to the parking ramps as they can be challenging.

Mahalo again for your feedback.

Reviewed April 27, 2012

Ohana Malia Hotel is modern , new , and clean. Good sized room with a tiny balcony , which is handy to dry clothes. Good Service and courteous staff. That said , sadly there's no wifi in the room (only lobby), no free water, further walk from beach (couple of blocks walk), no free parking ($20 a night), and we could not borrow a scale. There is however a small lap pool and Jacuzzi on the first floor.
But if you are concerned on the weight of your luggage, you can buy a hand held scale at ABC for only $6. Theres a store across the street which sells 8shirts (good quality) for $20. Also there is an I Hop restaurant downstairs, Good Pizza for take out just outside.

2  Thank TRavelBug232323

Aloha,

Thank you for taking the time to submit a review. We appreciate your positive comments about our rooms and staff.

I apologize for not having WIFI in the rooms and this is something we are working on. We do have WIFI in our lobby. I'm sorry we were unable to assist you with a scale. There is a fee for parking as in most Waikiki hotels.

We are proud to have the first IHOP on Oahu and our pizza store, A Slice of Waikiki does make great pizzas.

Mahalo again for your feedback.

Reviewed April 27, 2012

Just got back from Hawaii and stayed at this hotel. Overal had a good experience. We did not stay on the removated tower as we needed a seperate room suite as we are travelling with a noisy sleeping toddler. The hotel is in the middle of Waikiki, so I would not really recommend a car unless you are planning to travel to the North Shore. Parking isnt as bad as everyone claims, just make sure your rental in under 6 feet tall, we had a jeep wrangler and it fit. Just make sure you back into your space and you'll be fine leaving. Another tip, print out the U of H Rainbow Warriors fan rate to get a 50% discount on parking and cheaper room rate on the new tower, you should also get a free beach bag too. Hope this helps, until next time Hawaii!

Room Tip: Renovated tower for couples for sure!
3  Thank CalgaryHungry1

Aloha and Mahalo for your review regarding your good experience at our hotel.

Your statement regarding a car is useful as we have free trolley rides and an excellent city bus system.
I appreciate your comment regarding the parking. Reserving a rental under six feet tall and backing into your space are great suggestions.

Thank you again for your feedback.

Reviewed April 18, 2012

There is only 1 entrance/exit to the carpark and it is this 1 single-lane, steep ramp with sharp turning curves! This means that when you are exiting the building using the ramp, there better not be any cars on the main road turning in! Either the incoming car has to back up into the main road (dangerous!) or the outgoing car got to back up along the steep ramp (also dangerous!). And you got to pay $20 every night for parking here!

Rooms were clean and tidy. Well-located in Waikiki.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank LQL
Reviewed April 14, 2012

For the price if you compare the hotels aroud you get for what you paid. 15 minutes walk to Waikiki beach. Shopping and restaurants all aroud. The place is clean but noisy even late at night. Parking is terrible in this area and very expensive. The pool is stock between buildings so no sun. But will all that, for a far price in a fair hotel in Honolulu, I will recommand the Ohana Waikiki Malia.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed March 24, 2012

This is a very nice hotel for the money and is in a good location. It is in Waikiki but not on the beach but a couple block walk to the beach with lots of restaurants and shops nearby like Ocean Walk and Hard Rock and there is a bus stop out front of building. The rooms are nice they are average size and come with a small refrigerator you can use and a safe and are clean the workers are very nice and helpful A+. The down side is the pool is small and not in the sun if you want a pool not the place. Other wise I would stay here again.

Room Tip: Stay above floor 12 for the view and less street noise.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank aces-n-8s

Thank you for submitting your positive review. Your description fits us well. We appreciate your kind comments regarding our staff and we will be sure to let them know.

Our lounge pool is small but we were limited in the space in which to build one. The pool is heated though due to the limited amount of sun available. We also have our sister hotels, the OHANA Waikiki East and the OHANA Waikiki West pools available for our guests to use.

Mahalo again, for taking the time to write a review.

Reviewed March 20, 2012

All I want to mention is the fact that the PM manager, Les, really lives up to his name "Less". We prepaid through Orbitz and upon arriving to the property attempted to park in their parking area. I could only get to the 1st level of parking. There was no way of getting any higher than that due to the low ceiling of the parking structure. When I let the manager know about the parking situation all the problems started. Les did very little to remedy the issue! At one point Les made me feel like it was my problem because I had a vehicle that was too big and that I should of mentioned that I had a larger vehicle when booking our trip... I just about lost it when I heard that! I really need not get into any more details of the rest.
At this point I did not want to even stay at this POORLY managed property. We went back and forth with all of this for a little over an hour. We ended up being relocated across the street to the WAY BETTER MANAGED Courtyard By Marriott. When checking in over there Mr. Fujimoto took care of us. We explained the situation to him. With no hesitation he apologized(although not his fault) and had room keys in our hands within minutes! Outstanding! Our poor children and my wife could FINALLY rest!
One of the things that really stood out was the fact Mr.Fujimoto is most probably less than half the age of Les... I honestly expected a lot more from Les! I am going to write the GM of the Ohana Waikiki Malia and ask what happened there? Is this how they treat all their prepaid guests? Just how much business is being turned away due to this kind of unacceptable guest treatment? How do they stay in business with this type guest treatment? I mean, clearly upper management at Ohana Waikiki Malia is not aware of this. I am sure the Ohana Waikiki Malia is a great property but with unbecoming guest treatment that my wife and I experienced from Les is really taking away the true meaning of the "Aloha Spirit".

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank richie t
NaomiHonolulu, General Manager at OHANA Waikiki Malia by Outrigger, responded to this reviewResponded March 27, 2012

Please accept my sincere apologies for your negative experience with the OHANA Waikiki Malia on the evening of 3/13/21.

I understand your frustration with our parking lot and the low ceilings. These issues are important and the problem should have been solved. I apologized for the treatment you received upon trying check in and we are working with our PM manager regarding this.

Please know that it is our goal to meet your expectations in both service and accommodations and for you to feel good about recommending our hotels to your friends and family. I am disappointed and very sorry that we failed in this regard.

I appreciate your taking the time to bring your concerns to my attention and giving us an opportunity to improve our service.

Mahalo and Aloha,