“Great value.” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #44 of 83 Hotels in Honolulu
Vancouver, Canada
“Great value.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2011

We spent a very pleasant 10 nights here in May. While the hotel does not offer many facilities, you can use the pool & deck at the Ohana Waikiki West, although the beach is not far off. We had requested a room with a king size bed but were advised on checking in that there was none available for the first night but we could be moved the next day by the staff if we would leave our luggage ready to go. The photo only shows part of the room, the closet with the safe and the decent sized, well appointed, bathroom are not in the frame.
There is an IHOP restaurant in the building with a Whalers General Store and an ABC store across the street. Staying at an Ohana Hotel gets you free rides on the Pink Line of the Waikiki Trolley, which seems undeservedly very popular. There are many restaurants within a few blocks and shopping areas abound.
The main reason to stay here is that you get more than you pay for. The rooms compare with any you would find at a high-end property but at a relatively bargain rate. Good location, quite close to the beach, our room had been recently refurbished, and pleasant, helpful staff. I would certainly stay here again.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank legibus

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
Tulsa, Oklahoma
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2011

Our hotel room was spacious and clean. The front desk staff was very friendly and hospitable. I loved the view from our hotel balcony. I definitely recommend this hotel. It is very affordable and is in the heart of Waikiki.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank maganda1973
Tucson, Arizona
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2011

The room and hotel was nice. Walking distance from the beach and main street in Waikiki. The front-desk staff did not seem knowledgable or have recommendations about restaurants, activities, etc. In fact, they referred me to the activities desk at the Marriott Courtyard across the street.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
      Location
      Rooms
    • 2 of 5 stars
1 Thank lanihm
Camarillo, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2011

Good location and nice room for the price. We booked some standard rooms and a 1-bedroom suite (to use as the meeting area). The standard rooms were renovated and the 1-bedroom suite we very old. Luckily, we went downstairs and they let us change the suite to just a standard room, which was enough for us. I like that each room had a small refrigerator for us to store drinks and a small balcony that looks onto the street. The only other down side was the tight parking garage. Luckily we had small cars, but I can't imagine if someone rented a large SUV or van and tried to drive up to the garage.

Room Tip: Make sure you get a renovated room.
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank Tiffany N
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2011

good service,
the room was very big, though no luxury at all. so if you re looking for a room to accomodate your family, this is a goood one.
recomended for families included kitchenette and refrigerator,
good location

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank fabridel
Honolulu, Hawaii
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2011

We were so surprised that our room was so great for under $100! Very clean, lots of room and the staff was helpful and friendly. Great, central location on Waikiki. And having free access to the pink trolley was an added bonus. And parking is only $10 for kamaaina rate instead of $20. Will definitely recommend it to friends.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank 68hawaii
Honolulu, Hawaii
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2011

The Malia is a nice little hotel with basic functions for the traveller that doesn't need a lot. It's location is ideal for the The Bus and the Waikiki Trolley and is only a few blocks from the beach. If you are like me and don't spend much time in your hotel, the Malia is a good option. I just needed a place to sleep, wash, and store my clothes that wasn't a total dive. I liked how you needed a key card to get use the elevator. They have a front desk and security men to make their presence known, but that extra bit of security made me feel good - especially since I am a solo female traveler. I was on the 14th floor and the street noise was still pretty loud. I'm the type to find the continuous sounds of the street to be relaxing, but if you need silence, then I'd avoid the city view option.

Small complaints:

1. Most of the TV stations were either the 24hr loops of tourist stuff, 24hr news, or in Japanese. That was fine for most of the time, but sometimes I'd want to wind down at night with a good TV show, and I'd have just 3 options on most nights - something on CBS, PBS, and the news. It would have been nice to have more channels.

2. The cleaning staff would get to my room at odd times. Sometimes they'd knock as early as 9 and then other times they'd come as late as 2pm. I'd suggest putting your privacy tag on your door whenever you're in there to avoid random knocking when you're sleeping in or just trying to get out of your swimsuit to get ready for a little shopping. Just don't forget to take it off on the way out.

3. The internet was supposed to be high-speed, but it was very slow for me. I tried to watch Netflix because of complaint #1 and it would stop every 2 minutes and then take almost 10 minutes to reload.

I would definitely stay at the Malia again. The hotel is not amazing enough to make me a loyal client, but I'd certainly suggest it to others and/or stay here again, especially if they had the $79/night deal again.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled solo