“Worthwhile excursion from Groupon”

Island Magic Catamaran
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Island Magic Catamaran offers fun and safe sailing tours off the coast of Waikiki. Our cruises include a Snorkel Sail, where we typically find Hawaiian Green Sea Turtles and loads of Hawaiian tropical reef fish to swim with; a Sunset Sail, where you can enjoy the epic sunsets off Waikiki that we experience here nightly; and a Friday Fireworks cruise that offers a unique view of the weekly fireworks show the Hilton Waikiki sponsors. We are also available for Private Charters where you and your party can have sole access to the boat to go snorkel, swim & sail. Come enjoy the ride with us on Island Magic Catamaran!
Reviewed August 30, 2013

This was a fun little excursion with great customer service. This was my first time swimming with turtles, and there were a few of them all in one condensed area.

I found it ironic that the departure port for this trip is a bit of a ways outside of the touristy Waikiki area, and yet the catamaran takes you back to the Waikiki beach vicinity, where Turtle Cove is located. For those of you that are strong/smart swimmers, perhaps you could get to Turtle Cove from Waikiki Beach with a surf or paddle board (although maybe it’s a lot further than it looks). From the beach, just look for where the boat/catamarans congregate, and that will let you know where Turtle Cove is found. For weak swimmers like myself, the catamaran excursion is ideal.

I liked that the trip included swimming noodles if you needed it. And staff do a great job of spotting turtles and sea life for you, in addition to taking pictures of you. And the pictures are posted on facebook.

Bring sun screen with you, as you spend a few hours on the boat and swimming in direct sun. There was no shelter from the sun on the catamaran.

As other reviewers indicated, it is annoying with many people swimming around the turtles from different boats. Whenever a turtle surfaces for air, it is a mad rush of people swimming to the turtle – flailing limbs and all. And expect to be bumped and kicked by clueless tourists.

There are newer reviews for Island Magic Catamaran

Reviewed August 18, 2013

Excellent and courteous crew.... they allow passengers to bring their own drinks ( with or without alcohol) and snacks. They also provide water for sale as well. No restrooms on board....but there were some restrooms close by in the marina to use before you go on the boat. Also, parking is $1 an hour... bring cash for that. AND cash for a tip.... they were great!!!! Bring a camera for some excellent shots of the city and sunset. They also take a lot of photos and make them available on Facebook for no charge! wow... unheard of. very nice. We went on the sunset cruise, they also have a snorkeling trip and a fireworks cruise on Friday nights. Unfortunately we were unable to go snorkeling with them on this trip.... but we will the next time we go back!!!!!..... they made our 1st visit to Hawaii such a great experience!!! Highly recommend!!!

1  Thank minastirith101125
Reviewed July 26, 2013

Forget about ANY negative reviews and focus only on the positive ones. Chris (the diver) is very experienced and gifted at finding/diving for schools of fish, turtles, and octopus -- that yes, I actually held one for the first time ever!! Steve, the captain, who is very personable, did an excellent job heading the catamaran and making sure we were all safe. Kelli is very personable as well, was extremely helpful on deck and off deck even taking pictures when asked. Great crew that work extremely well together and love what they do. This is the best deal around as well, my best excursion yet in Waikiki. Very easy to get to --IF you follow the directions/landmarks on their website. (Btw - Hi Kelli, it's the other Kelli with and "I"!!)

Reviewed July 17, 2013

We went on the swim with the turtle excursion on 7/15/13 and had a great time. The boat is nice and the available snorkel equipment and noodles made for a successful and enjoyable experience. I was surprised at how many turtles we saw! The noodles made it easy to stay in the water and enjoy the experience without having to worry about staying afloat and getting tired. They take pictures for you which is certainly a nice touch above other companies. I look forward to seeing the pictures posted on Facebook.

Reviewed July 12, 2013

As others here, we purchased a "Groupon" for this company, which made a well priced snorkel tour even better. We were given the information as to where to meet up with them and check-in time - did not realize there would be no signage (which was addressed in Capt. Steve's response to another tripadvisor review), but we decided to wait nearby the boat, which you can't miss - a lovely ship, she is at that.

Eventually, we spied a woman getting on board and start getting things ready, but she made no mention to anyone that they should wait there, or anything. From talking to each other, we all discovered we were waiting for the same tour - strength in numbers.

After what seemed like a fairly long wait (I'll be honest - I wasn't wearing my watch) Capt. Steve introduced himself and we all got on board. After roll-call, we set off for turtle canyon. During the safety talk, we spied a couple of pods of dolphins. Capt. Steve did his best to keep our attention on the safety talk by promising we'd still see the dolphins after. And we did - some even coming right under the bow of the ship.

We made our way to turtle canyon and moored up - pool noodles were distributed to those who needed them, and Capt. Steve and crew (for the life of me I cannot remember her name - possibly Jessica?) de-fogged my families dive masks, and we were off. Many turtles were seen, and a good number of of fish. Beautiful clear conditions.

One thing we were looking forward to were the photos on Facebook. Unfortunately, for no reason that I can understand or were explained, the photos for that day were never uploaded to Facebook - part of the reason for the down-rating of this tour. Also, we had seen many photos of people handling an octopus - we thought this would be part of the tour. When we asked the crew member, she said something along the lines of "it would be too much work to try and find one". No attitude per se - more apathy. Lack of "aloha" spirit.

One the plus side, when we asked Capt. Steve about where to call a cab afterwards, he very graciously called a taxi for us.

Perhaps it was an off-day - we got what we paid for, but weren't truly "wowed!"