“I love the Ilikai”

Ranked #26 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Springfield, Missouri
“I love the Ilikai”
Reviewed April 3, 2014

My first experience with the Ilikai was as a college stutent here in the 1960's. It was the first highrise hotel on Waikiki. What's not to love about it being the setting for the original
"Hawaii 5-O" or the hotel of choice for Elvis? Modern novelist Sarah Vowell author of "Unfamiliar Fishes" stays here. Book an ocean-view room with full kitchen. Every floor has coin washer & dryer. There are five elevators. In a week's stay, we never waited more than a minute for a free elevator. The convenience store on first floor is well-stocked. One can even purchase a quarter rather than a pound of butter! This hotel is an institution and well worth the money.

Room Tip: Book an ocean view with full kitchen
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank CarrolL119

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (691)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed April 2, 2014

The Ilikai may not be the newest hotel in town, but it has a lovely feel to the place, the reception staff were great (especially Richelle) and the location was perfect for me - walking distance to Ala Moana and Waikiki beach - with the bus stop right outside the door if I wanted to venture a little further. I will defiantly stay again.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
2 Thank Illicium
Garden Grove, California
Reviewed March 28, 2014

I was looking around the HHV area for a hotel that I could afford for a week without resort fees and decided to try my first vacation rental . I'm so glad I did and was lucky enough to have this condo available for the exact dates I needed. It is as described . Everything anyone would need. The view is great ,beds comfortable and kitchen and bathroom well stocked. The owners were very responsive and accommodating . Never had any issues during our stay . We never needed a car because we could walk to Ala Moana Center and Lewers St if we needed to shop and the front entrance is a few feet away from bus stops. I like the sliding sun shade in the balcony . It keeps the integrity of the view but gave me the option to block the sun during certain times of the day . The kettle also needs to be replaced. But these minor issues won't make me hesitate to return to this place. What really puts it over the top is the Ilikai itself. The building is clean and lobby was amazing. Fresh air blowing as if you were outdoors and not too many people so you can definitely relax away from your room. I walked every morning and it was so convenient making my way from the Marina to the Outrigger and back before sunrise. I would not hesitate to recommend this condo for the room itself ,the owners and the Ilikai building itself.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank roelparedes
California
Reviewed March 26, 2014 via mobile

We stay here for Jan/Feb every year. Location is fabulous, short walk to all the shops and beach. We rent privately owned condos from Waikiki Beach Rentals. This year we were not happy with the state of the lanai furniture, but after contacting Scott at the web site it was replaced, so can't complain. The pool area is still ridiculous, towels are put on seats for regulars and seats are not used for hours.

Stayed February 2014
2 Thank Formerbrit
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed March 26, 2014

Just back from a 2 week holiday in Honolulu and Las Vegas. We have stayed at least 6 times at the Ilikai and love it here. This time we had condo 1820 with again great views of the lagoon and ocean. We had to purchase new pillows as several of the ones on our beds smelt like very dirty hair. We stayed for 3 nights then left for Vegas arriving back 4 days later into 1820 again. On arrival we found that the bedding had not be changed and were still marked from our previous stay. We don't know if anyone else had booked the room during our time away. We contacted management and a few hours later two very friendly ladies arrived to change our bedding. As we had basically made two bookings for the same room which meant two cleaning fees I expected the bedding to have been changed. We then had a problem with the oven...it wouldn't work which was very annoying as we had purchased food to prepare using the oven. Finally after several calls to maintenance and several days later they said that the stove/oven would be replaced the next day around 4pm. This was useless to us by this stage as we were leaving at 7pm that night and had to throw out the food we had bought to be cooked in the oven. They arrived around 4pm...opened the door without knocking and barged in...then knocked...glad I was dressed. I am assuming at no-one had come to check the oven out and just went and replaced it that they already know it was faulty. This cost us $$$ as we had to get takeaway on the nights we should have been able to prepare meals for ourselves. I love staying at the Ilikai but this time was disappointed with the condo and the obvious problems. One bonus was that they filmed Hawaii Five-O over two days in the rear car parking area and we got to get up close to watch.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Inquiryagent
Reviewed March 26, 2014

I have stayed at virtually every major resort in the Islands and although Ilikai is an older property (originally built in 1964), it has a retro vibe that I really appreciate. Many of the new resorts have a plastic feel to them, but lots of character here. For lots of nice wood accents throughout the property. The rooms are HUGE with full kitchens. Great for families that want to relax by the beach all day and save a few bucks by cooking in the hotel room. Ilikai is also conveniently located within a short walk of downtown Waikiki and Ala Moana Shopping Center.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the marina offer beautiful views and cool breezes.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Esqtodd
College Station, Texas
Reviewed March 26, 2014

My wife and I stayed here for a week. The room was large with a useful desk and enough outlets for all our gear, king-size very comfortable bed, large shower with plenty of room for my wife's cosmetics, friendly staff, located on the west end of Waikiki away from the huge crowds further east, yet close to the convention center and Waikiki shopping and beaches. The hotel is gradually converting to condos, but there was no construction noise of inconvenience. Rooms, hallways, and common areas were clean and well maintained.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business