“Great experience at the Ilikai”

Ilikai Hotel & Luxury Suites
Ranked #25 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Reviewed September 23, 2011

Just returned from our 3 day stay at the Ilikai. Rooms are large with a large bathroom with separate toilet area with its own shower. Beds are comfortable and 4 people did not feel crowded. The hotel is very clean and staff go out of their way to make your stay a pleasant one. Part of the hotel is time share, but no one bothered us there. One person mentioned it to our friend and then let it drop..no pushiness. The highest floors are the hotel rooms and that was great! There is a magnificent restaurant on the highest floor. The roof is the place where the opening scene of the original Hawaii Five-0 was filmed.
We were on the opposite side from the sunset but the sunrise over Diamond Head is lovely as well. We actually were able to watch a luau on the roof of the building next door and to hear the music from it..not too loud..just pleasant. Sat on balcony and watched the surfers morning and evening.
Great little coffee shop downstairs with very friendly staff! Convenience store in lobby as well. Loved the balcony to our room.
Free internet was a bonus!! Valet parking was quick and convenient with in and out privileges.-
I would not hesitate to recommend this property to friends and clients.
For those on a bit of a food budget...McDonalds and IHop and The Ala Moana great Shopping Mall with a food court (try the Japanese...it is fantastic!) are a very short walk away. 2 ABC stores within a block (anyone who has been to Hawaii knows about these convenience stores.)
Transportation to the main Waikiki beach is frequent and not expensive but walking is very easy.
We will definitely return to the Ilikai at our first opportunity!
Thank you to the front desk staff who were so friendly and helpful at all times.

Room Tip: Room 2534 was great!
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank children6
There are newer reviews for Ilikai Hotel & Luxury Suites

Reviewed September 23, 2011

We rented a 1 bdrm condo privately thru VRBO.com, and really loved this building. It is in a good location at the end of the sandy beach, great for people who like to walk. The building has great views and is very well built, you cannot hear your neighbors, unless they are being noisy out on their balconies. Our condo was next to the elevators,(#1528) but only rarely could we hear a faint ding of the elevator reaching our floor. Although this condo had not been updated (except for new carpet) it was very clean, no bugs, cool old retro stove in an aqua color, but otherwise new appliances, fully stocked kitchen, linens, beach towels,soaps, cleaners, we did not want for anything! Bed was firm but comfy, tons of pillows to choose from, great water pressure in the shower, just great for 2 people who dont spend all day indoors. We could walk to foodland at the ala moana shopping center for groceries(or you could take one of the many buses). The balcony was nice to sit on in the afternoon, but it was not quiet like a beachfront condo in maui, you could not hear the waves laping at the shore, mostly air conditioners, generators from the hilton hawaiian village, but that is what you get in Waikiki, there are no condos that close to the waves. Sure you could pay much more at an expensive hotel and get closer to the waves, but for $110 a night you cannot beat the Ilikai. ( We did consider renting a condo at the waikiki shore, but are glad we choose not to, as there is not much of a beach in front of that skinny little building, and the lanais either face another building or a pathway to the beach. That area was just too busy for us) We walked there many times for dinner and were glad to walk back to our quiet area at the Ilikai.
We saw the fabulous firework show from our lanai on Friday night, and walked thru the Hilton Hawaiian village, on our way out every night, the Tropics bar/restaurant there had great bands at happy hour and sunset, also the best mai tai's.
We like to walk, so the walk to the beach was 5 to 10 mins depending on what piece of the beach appealed to us, we looked for the sandiest entrance to the water, cause there is rocks and coral just in front of the logoon side of the hilton (bring water shoes, cause that is a nice beach otherwise, water was very warm there) If you sit in front of the Hale Loa hotel the beach is fine for bare feet. We walked to Diamond head and hiked up the hill one morning, it took about an hour to get there and another 50 mins to get up and down, but after 8:30 Am that climb gets really busy, with people who are not used to hiking or doing hundreds of stairs so it could take much longer to get up and down later in the day. (there is no passing people on the stairs, too narrow)
Best restaurants, Roys, Lulu's, Hula grill for dinner, Dukes & Tropics for happy hour.
Don't bother with the shorebird, buffets are overpriced for what you get and cooking your own meat at dinner is a novelty, the steak was not good quality, and you could get one done for you at the same price else where.

Room Tip: Best rooms at the Ilikai would be on higher floors and with room numbers that end in 33-44 cause the...
2  Thank carcar47
Reviewed September 22, 2011

The hotel is beautifully decorated and landscaped, the rooms are lovely, especially the ones with sunset views, even the in-house beach bar was a decent place to eat lunch.. My only disappointment was how difficult it was to access the beach from the hotel. There is a large parking lot for the marina in the back of the property and it is fenced for a very long stretch. The Hilton Hawaiian Village next door doesn't make it easy to get through their property, so you end up schlepping around a long ways. We did an Aqua Snooze n Cruze (sic) package and got the room, rental car and free parking -- and since parking is $20 a day, that was a great deal. The hotel is at the far western end of Waikiki, but it is close to Ala Moana Center if you are a shopping freak.

1  Thank agriffithva
Reviewed September 21, 2011

The features that greeted us in the hotel as we entered such as the beautiful flower arrangements etc looked superb, the friendliness of the staff made us feel very welcomed. We saw staff continually cleaning, polishing, vacuuming, sweeping every day keeping the hoel and surrounding areas immaculate. Our condo was a great, everything we needed was there, the bed was very comfortable, the kitchen more than adequate and the view from our room magnificent. In all our stay was wonderful and we look forward to returning some time soon.

Room Tip: Ocean View
1  Thank Brian S
Reviewed September 19, 2011

Rented one of the vacation condos available at the Ilikai for a week. Hotel and condo properties are exteremely well maintained. Our condo had a fabulous view, very nice accomodations, comfortable furniture and beds, and the unit was fully equiped. Even had beach chairs and mats etc for our use. The only problem we encountered was slow elevators. At any given time only 3 of the 6 elevators were working and the place is VERY busy - lots of people coming and going - so during the morning hours or early evening hours you could wait for 15 to 20 minutes before there would be room for us in one of the elevators. Sometimes it was better to catch one going up - just to go down.

The Ilikai is located at the top end of Waikiki Beach and it makes it close to many restuarants small shops (like the ABC Stores) and the Ala Moana shoping Center. It is also right on the main bus lines and tour bus stops. This made it extremely easy to get anywhere we wanted to go. All the bus drivers were very helpful if you let them know where you were trying to go.

It was a great place to stay - and we plan on going agin next year!

Room Tip: Beach or harbor view was awesome.
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank Lesley C
Reviewed September 19, 2011

The condo is very nice. But, the property management of the Ilikai makes this place not kid friendly at all. If you have just the slightest bit of sand on your feet, you will be reprimanded by security. Oh, and if you want to swim with your kids in the pool, there is no jumping, if you want to play in the pool, they call it horseplay. When you ask for management, you get security officers. We made reservations to stay for 7 days, but left after two as my family and I felt as though we were staying in a prison. When I notified the owner that we made arrangements to move to a place where we could actually have some fun (this was a vacation after all), the owner apologized for the terrible experience. I did ask the owner if she would consider refunding the money (I do acknowledge the reservation was non-refundable) for the time we did not stay, and her response was I am sorry, I can not refund your money, I can not rent the place out now... Very disappointing, after she was very helpful in recommending places to eat, beaches to visit, ect. It is probably a great place for people on business, or perhaps just couples, but NOT if you are bringing your children...

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
8  Thank VacationersfromTN
Reviewed September 17, 2011

I travelled to Oahu by myself. I was origianally planning on staying long term at a condo (one month lease) but plans changed. The condo I was looking at to rent was at the Ilikai. I later discovered there was also a hotel at this location, and the price to stay on the beach in Waikiki was fantastic. I was so happy I stayed here.

My original budget allowed me to stay here (treat myself to room with ocean view) and the sapend the second half of my vacation at a less expensive hotel a couple blocks away from the ocean. NOTE: this was bad judgemnet on my part; I should have stayed at the Ilikai the whole time!

The hotel itself looked dated from the outside. The lobby was open and airy. I was pleasantly surprsied at my room... It was one of the largest rooms I've stayed in at a hotel. The furnishings were new, and the room was clean. There was a tiny bar fridge. My room had an awesome view (ocean, Hilton Hawaiian Village and the Lagoon). I often visited the Hilton Hawaiian Village next door (which is awesome and goes on forever).

The price for this hotel was very competitive.

As a solo traveller, I felt safe at this hotel, but not safe walking on the street out front of this hotel at night. I still did go ut alone though, and had no problems.

The location was perfect for me... There's a hugh resort next door, awesome views of the lagoon and marina, it's the start of Waikiki beach (so it's not incredibly crowded here), you can catch the city buses out front that take you over the whole island, there was a McDonalds and popular chicken wing place across the road (as well as car rental).

The clientele seemed to mostly seniors (and re-occurring) guests here. I'm in my 30s, but was ok with that. I had no troubles.

The restaurant up top has fantastic views and amazing prices for an italian meal if you can get there during happy hour.

Also, there was a laundry facilty and pop machine on my floor for reasonable prices.

This building is a combo of a hotel, time share and condo.

Room Tip: go online and check it out...choose what appeals most to you.
  • Stayed: October 2010, traveled solo