“great value--great location”

Ranked #26 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Toronto, Canada
“great value--great location”
Reviewed July 19, 2011

Stayed at the Ilikai for a meeting at the convention center--nice 15 min.walk.At the far end of the beach but easy walking distance to beach,shopping,restaurants--close to the action but very quiet at nights.

Room (hotel--not condo) was large,well appointed,very comfortable king bed,and very quiet.

Price was much better then anything else comparable.

Air conditioning not working properly when I arrived--technician there in 5 mins.,and when it was obvious that it was going to take a while to fix moved me immediatelt.

Staff friendly and very helpful

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (691)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
New York City, New York
Reviewed July 19, 2011

Stayed in this hotel for 9 days
If you like to have great view and balcony
Plus do not break the bank it is perfect space for you

1 Thank Stasnyc
San Francisco, California
Reviewed July 17, 2011

The Ilikai Hotel is a mixed building - hotel rooms, private condos and timeshare units all meshed into the one building. I stayed in a private condo but my review will only share my thoughts on the hotel as a whole since each condo/unit has it's own quirks.

The building itself is located at the marina side of Waikiki, right next door to the massive Hilton complex. I particularly like this side of Waikiki because you avoid the craziness of the middle/end section of the beach which gets super crowded. The beach in front of the Hilton is nice and pretty calm with plenty of room on the beach without feeling like you're so close to the next body. Also being close to the Hilton means you can enjoy the nearby restaurants and my favorite, Lappert's ice cream! It's also 10 minute walk to Ala Moana shopping center and 15 minute from International Marketplace.

The building is super old - it looks like it hasn't been renovated since the original Hawaii Five-O filming days. There's not much to the hotel, the pool is small and what's that, no kiosk to print my boarding pass? That's lame. If you go to concierge be prepared to have done your homework as they will sell you not the best tours but the ones that probably give them the most incentive $$. They also try to get you to a timeshare sales pitch and offer the tours for free. No thanks.

Here's my tip about parking if you are staying at the Ilikai. Don't do valet, period. I saw lines every morning with people waiting for their car. Yes it's a ridiculous $22/day with in/out privileges but the waiting plus the tips each time to get your car makes this not worth it. To make it more disgusting, they charged $30/day for the July 4th weekend. Not cool.

If you want affordable parking, have a car for more than 3 days, and don't mind a 5-10 walk, park at the Hale Koa parking garage at Fort Derussy (right across the street from the Hilton entrance). Non-hotel guests can self-park there for $16/day with in/out privileges by getting a 3-day minimum parking pass. Get the parking pass at the office in the parking garage. The other option is to park in the Ilikai Marina parking garage, behind the Red Lobster restaurant. It was $10 for 10 hour parking with $4 for each additional 1/2 hour. If you're an early riser, this might be a good option.

My condo was great and I would consider staying again in a private condo. But if you are looking for a hotel room, I would book somewhere else. I've stayed at the Hilton next door and the rooms were good, the bed was comfy plus you get the benefits of the awesome resort amenities.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
4 Thank lucidlilies
Ashland, Massachusetts
Reviewed July 15, 2011

I found this a little confusing when I was booking our trip to Honolulu. The Ilikai Hotel is a hotel, but there are private condominiums within the building -- know what you're booking when you book. They are not all the same.

My review refers to unit #1318, which I booked through waikikioceanfrontrentals.com. This unit had been recently renovated by the owners and included a master suite with king-sized bed, whirlpool tub, separate shower and bathroom stall and double sinks, plus a second "bedroom" (a section of the living room which could be separated by a moveable divider) with two twin beds, a new contemporary kitchen, spacious living room, and large lanai overlooking the ocean. It was attractively furnished, in superb condition, spotlessly clean, and perfect for our family of four. And aside from a minor glitch with regard to our final payment, we enjoyed a smooth and easy transaction with Waikiki Oceanfront Rentals. I was provided a key code which allowed me to check in without hassle upon our arrival in Hawaii.

By staying in a private condo I had access to all the amenities related to the resort, including the laundry area (one on each floor) and pool, but none of the hotel services. This was a perfect arrangement for us.

The Ilikai Resort itself is old -- it was featured in the opening to the original Hawaii Five-O TV show -- but has clearly been renovated over the years and I found it more than acceptably updated. I enjoyed the location: situated on the very end of Waikiki Beach, within easy walking distance of the beach, restaurants in Waikiki, and even a major shopping mall in Honolulu. While some might prefer to be right in the center of the action, I couldn't have been more pleased with the location.

The only downside is parking. There is none, except for valet service. They will tell you that there is parking at the marina, but that, while reasonably priced, is a nightmare, requiring you to move the car every certain number of hours. The valet service cost $22/day with unlimited in/out privileges, but I think the whole valet thing is a pain, especially if you're returning to your hotel multiple times in a day. Tips and wait time add up quickly.

2 Thank Eohippus
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed July 14, 2011

This condo is beautiful. It is really nicely decorated and luxurious. The kitchen is equipped with the best quality appliances and utensils. The queen bed is very comfortable and there is lot of space to storage luggage and clothes. The bathroom with plenty of thick towels has a spacious shower. We were happy to have at our disposal beach chairs, beach umbrellas and nice beach towels. We were with our 2 kids and they were additional chairs either to eat inside or on the lanai all together. We took nearly all our meals outside on the lanai and appreciated the spectacular view. We appreciated too to have access to free WiFi and free calls. The condo is also very well located, a few steps from the beach and not directly in the crowd of Wakiki. This condo is perfect and we highly recommend this unit to anyone. Thank you indeed to have shared with us your little paradise! Sophie and Bertrand

1 Thank Sh93_11
Atlanta
Reviewed July 13, 2011

We stayed in room 2426 from July 1 -7. I sort of knew what to expect in regards to the outside of the hotel from previous reviews and also from Ala Moana skyline shots. As previously stated the outside of the hotel is rather dated. Also, the hallway on the inside leading to the rooms is rather dated as well. Still, the entrance and lobby let me know quickly that I was truly in paradise.

As a family of 5 we booked a two bedroom suite. When we walked into the room we were definitely in awe of the beauty of the view. The two lanai's were huge and served as the perfect view each morning and evening we were there. In fact, we had a terrific view of the luau taking place at the Hilton Hawaiian Village.

The two bedroom was really not a two bedroom suite. There was a huge living room and a sliding door between the living room and the area where the two double beds were situated. The kitchen had only a mini-fridge. I was a bit disappointed and surprised there because my mom had a single mountain view room and she had a full sized refrigerator. Still, there were two sizable bathrooms which we certainly appreciated.

The room was clean for the most part. I did find hair from a previous visitor in the bath tub which was a bit of a turn off. The furnishings were a bit worn and utilized but entirely comfortable and not dreadful. The beds were extremely comfortable and there were both soft and firm pillows on the bed. So, you could easily take your pick according to preference. The sheets were clean, crisp and perfectly relaxing after a day of touring and sun bathing. The light blocking shades had holes in them. So, light could not be entirely blocked. There were two flat screened TV's with cable which was completely convenient and handy for my little ones to sit and unwind.

One thing I was worried about was being able to stock up on supplies and what food places were immediately nearby. There is an ABC store of course across the street but there is also a Food Pantry on Hobron if you walk down just a little bit. It is seriously a full fledged grocery store. Anything from red meat to milk and fresh produce can easily be purchased there and is cheaper than the ABC store. Also there is a McDonald's and Buffalo Wild Wings directly across the street as well as a fish and Indian restaurant. At the end of the block is an IHOP and a local breakfast spot, Wailana Coffee House which I heard is really good. There is also a Red Lobster and an Outback Steakhouse at the corner of Ala Moana and Hobron (which is the intersection if you head to the left coming out of the hotel).

We did not like the beach closest to the hotel or the lagoon. Waikiki Beach was a bit to pebbly and rocky for us. The most beautiful beach of our entire trip was Lanikai Beach which you would need to drive to. If you do drive out there you simply must stop by Island Snow in Kailua.

Overall, I would definitely stay at the Ilikai over and over again. Everyone was extremely nice and my reservations were exact and according to my specifications. Check-in was also a breeze. The value and space offered at the Ilikai simply can't be beat.

Room Tip: 2426 had a wonderful view
1 Thank dwbaisden
Okinawa, Japan
Reviewed July 10, 2011

I recently stayed at the Illikai for four nights.
I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised by the room. It is a very large room with nice ammenities and very clean. The bed was really nice and the view (although the company where i booked stated ocean view) was decent. my view was blocked by my own hotel if that makes any sense. The Hotel design was so that the rooms towards the middle of the hotel have a partial ocean view. I was on the 24th floor which honestly was a little too high, although i did have a nice view of the Luau that the Hilton puts on daily. (the Hitlon Hawaiin Village is next door). The location was pretty good. I think that it is pretty much the first hotel on the strip. So, it kind of depends on what you want. If you want to be right smack in the middle of Waikiki then you might want to go further down the strip. If you want to be 5-10 minutes away and still be able to walk or take a cab to most places then this will suit you fine. Watch out for the parking prices. All the Hotels charge a 20 a day parking cost. There are nice stores inside the hotel to include a mailing service which was very resonable. Of course once you get outside there are literally hundreds of places to shop and thosands of people shopping there.

Overall I was pleased with my stay, the customer service and the quality of the room.
I would recommend this place to anyone that wants a modestly priced room in Waikiki.

2 Thank aronszekely