“Awesome Hotel, Great Staff”

Ilikai Hotel & Luxury Suites
Ranked #25 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Reviewed June 21, 2011

My mother and I picked the Ilikai Hotel for our special mother daughter trip to Waikiki for Mother's Day. The hotel is very beautiful and the staff is spectacular. We stayed for 7 nights and everyone was so pleasant and helpful. The rooms are very large and the bathroom is also very ample. We absolutely love the location and service we received while we stayed with the Ilikai, we hope to repeat this trip as a complete family next year for my daughter's high school graduation present. Even though we had only a mountain view room, it was a welcoming site!

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family

Reviewed June 20, 2011

First trip to Hawaii.. found the Ilikai to be quite nice. Great value, staff was very helpful and friendly, room was huge and very clean. Kitchen was nice sized to. The king bed was very comfortable with quality bedding. Bathroom was large and nicely remodeled as the hotel was built in the 60's but doesn't look rundown or dated to me. It is in a great location to us since we don't like the hustle and bustle of the busiest section of town. It was only a block away from that area however. Walk out the back to bar/restaurant and great view of the Yacht Club/harbor and lagoon. Short walk to Waikiki beach. Nice and quiet at night for sleeping. We stayed on the street side of the hotel with a great view of the city/mountains..21st floor. Nice roomy balcony overlooking the street/view. Wired internet was fast and free. Overall great visit...didn't used the gym so can't speak to that.

2  Thank travlr26
Reviewed June 19, 2011

My husband and I spent ten nights here at the end of May.
Having been to Waikiki before, we were familiar with the location of the Ilikai.
The Ilikai sits away from the central hub of Waikiki. To the front is the main road, to the rear the beach/ marina. Buses and trolley buses stop outside the hotel. A walk to central Waikiki strip is a flat, easy 15 minute walk either along the road or along the beach. Little tipsy at Dukes ? Take the trolley bus home for $2.
The Ala Moana mall can be found 10 min walk in the other direction. That $2 trolley ride home to the front door comes in handy with all those shopping bags.
Restaurants n shops are all seconds away. More eating and shopping can be done at the Hilton Hawaiian Village next door.
Our room. Ocean view on the 22nd floor. Overlooking the pool n the hilton lagoon area giving a perfect view of the Friday night fireworks and the nightly luau at the Hilton.
Huge bedroom with great size lanai met my approval. Fridge , safe and two wardrobes. Dressing area. Bathroom n bedroom lovely n clean.
Downside? After the big bedroom , the bathroom is a let down. Yes it's clean n nice enough but it's Tiny ! Toilet was between the sink counter top and the shower. Shower had a curtain and was a big shower but no light in the actual shower made it dreadfully dark and u have to basically push past the toilet to get in n out of it. To be fair, having spoken to another person staying there, they didn't feel their bathroom was small so maybe we were unlucky. I would suggest replacing the curtain with a glass shower door to let it more light n possibly make it feel larger.
For the price, this is excellent value.
If u like to be in the thick of things , maybe this isn't for you but if u enjoy a stroll this should be on your short list.
The tired exterior of this hotel belies the well kept, airy and highly polished interior of this old lady.

• Stayed: May 2011
3  Thank Caroline63
Reviewed June 19, 2011

My family of four (including two teenage boys) recently stayed in condo 1512 for ten days. From the time I booked the condo to the time I checked out all I can say is "Wow what a great experience". The condo is clean comfortable and you can not I repeat can not beat the value. We have payed up to 300+ to stay in hotel rooms that were not near as nice. I will probably never stay in a hotel room again. Ms. Santos has outfitted her condo with everything you might need from condiments in her kitchen to boogie boards for the kids in the lanai. Her gorgeous kitchen impressed me most it is spotless and has anything you might need to heat up a can of soup to cooking up a full breakfast. The view from the lanai is gorgeous -I enjoyed my cup of coffee in the morning and looked out the gorgeous view the whole ten days! The location of the condo is great it is near any shopping or excursion you might undertake. We use the BUS during our stay and it picked us up right in front of the Ilikai. I can not say enough great things about our stay all I can do is sent out a big Texas THANK YOU to Ms. Santos for sharing her property with us and giving us a home away from home.--God Bless and Hasta Pronto- C. Ruiz-Soria

Room Tip: Near the elevators and laundry room .
Reviewed June 18, 2011

When going on vacation to Honolulu June 2011, I requested and paid for a two bedroom suite with a full kitchen for a group of 5. I explained to the reservations agent that I would be traveling with 3 teenagers and a person using a wheelchair, we wanted to cut costs by cooking in the room. Once in the room I found that their idea of a full kitchen should be called a partial kitchen or efficiency kitchen. This full kitchen consisted of a stove top, a microwave oven, and a dorm sized refrigerator. As far as kitchen utensils are concerned, this full kitchen had three glasses, four plates and bowls with silverware(except butter knives), two pots, one flying pan.... no food preparation dishes. This full kitchen had no oven other than the very small microwave. Since the hotel offered grocery service(a nice amenity), we ordered some groceries to have in the room when we arrived. Most of that had to be trashed since the full kitchen had a refrigerator similar to the one I used in my college dormitory. When I talked to the manager about the fact this room was not what I asked for nor paid for, he did offer me 2 one bedroom rooms with full kitchens. I did not take the rooms since I could not separate the teenagers and the handicapped persons from me and we had been in our existing room for almost three days. They did bring up another dorm sized refrigerator to be placed in the middle of the kitchen and more kitchen utensils to sustain the 5 persons I have in the room. I was very disappointed with the bait and switch type service that I received considering I specifically explained what I needed as well as how many persons would be sharing this room. So when requesting this hotel, it is possible that you will not receive what you asked. However, I have to give credit to the on site hotel employees. They were very helpful, kind and friendly. I have to give kudos to Glenda in housekeeping, Sara at the outside bar/grill and Laure at the concierge/tour desk. Spa facilities consisted of two rooms, practically non- existent though highly publicized on the online website. The gym was very small with no air conditioning . Bring your own pool towels. The towels you get at the pool with the 15$ pool towel cards(if you don't return the cards) look like they have been used for ten years or more. A person needs 2 of these towels to cover the pool lounge chairs. You best bet is to go next door the Hilton and see how they view a room with a full kitchen.

3  Thank mrreed2000
Reviewed June 14, 2011

What a great way to stay in the wonderful world of Hawaii! The building shows it's not a brand new building. So the first thing on my mind as I walk up to the entrance is hmm did my wife and I stay at a tourist trap....we walk in, go to the check in and I'm pleasantly surprised with not the usual friendly Aloha but a real deal no joke Aloha. Then the bell hop takes us to our room and the pleasant surprises continue! The room is immaculate, it's a full on studio condo room! Man it was an amazing stay! The hotel lived up to our expectations of being right on the ocean (OK so you had to walk about half a block around the lagoon but still rockin!)

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Bigducksfan
Reviewed June 13, 2011

The staff was super nice....from the valet to the front desk staff. The room was very clean and the bed was very comfortable! When I envisioned my first trip to Hawaii, I always wanted an oceanfront view. Most hotel rooms were very pricy for an oceanfront view, but not at Ilikai. We definitely got our moneys worth. The check in and check out were smooth. The front desk went out of their way to get us a scale to weigh our luggage. The best thing about this hotel is the friendliness of the entire staff. The swimming pool is small, but who needs it when the ocean is practically outside your room. My husband and I are not experienced travelers, but I don't think you can get lost in Waikiki. We only got a rental car for one day to drive around the island (a must)! The other days we either walked (to Honolulu Zoo, Ala Moana Center, and all Waikiki Beach Walk); we also used the bus transportation or shuttle services. Be sure to check out Pearl Harbor and Germaines Luau. If you drive around the island, I recommend eating at a restaurant on the North Shore: Grass Skirt Grill. I hope this review helps you, just as previous reviews helped us last year! Aloha!!!

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple