“Love this condo!”

Ilikai Hotel & Luxury Suites
Ranked #27 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Reviewed May 22, 2011

Reasons we love this condo:
- older hotel is in a great location and is very well-maintained and quiet.
- close to the beach
- check-in is easy with electronic keypad
- condo is immaculate and well-stocked
- stunning views of the marina from the wall to wall, floor to ceiling windows
- very quiet
- comfortable bed
- exactly as in photos except sofa and bedspread have been nicely updated
- air-conditioning is very quiet within the unit
- fireworks on beach every Friday night
- local transit and trolley right outside the hotel. Phone Honolulu transit for directions and
times. It is an inexpensive, easy, comfortable, clean way to travel around the city.
- valet was very helpful booking shuttle to airport
We'd like to thank the owners for providing such a lovely and comfortable place to stay in Waikiki!

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank daisy9

Reviewed May 21, 2011

After reading fellow travelers reviews I 'm sitting here wondering.... did I stay at the same hotel? The rooms are large but very outdated. I did have a beautiful view but it's a journey to the beach through a parking lot and around the harbor. Upon arrival I was given a room on the 25th floor. My phone rang right in the middle of me unpacking my things to be told they needed to change my room because of a water leak and possible mold issues. I was given a free dinner for my troubles.

The staff wasn't very friendly or knowledgeable. When I went to the bar to get a pina colada to take back to my room I had to wait until the waitress and other staff member finished their conversation about their outings the night before. I had to interupt to ask for my drink because apparently this was not going to be a short conversation. I was standing right next to them waiting patiently but they didn't seem to care. Then when I signed my room number on the reciept I was told by the waitress in a very rude voice that I need to tell the waitresses that it will be a room charge before ordering. When I reminded her that I did in fact tell her she turned away. I asked the gentleman at the stand next to the elevater were something was in the hotel his response was I have no idea. This is definately a time share type of stay so if you don't mind lack of customer service , no room service and rude staff you will at least have a nice view.

Room Tip: the view is the only plus so ask for oceanview
Stayed: May 2011, traveled on business
4  Thank trf03
ManagerHonolulu, General Manager at Ilikai Hotel & Luxury Suites, responded to this reviewResponded May 30, 2011

Aloha,
Upon reading your review I was very familiar with your room issue, as I was the one who called you to apologize for the need to move your room minutes after you had checked in due to an unfortunate water damage issue earlier. I was also the one who came to your room and assisted you with the move to the next room with the same view, and for your inconvenience provided a complimentary dinner in our signature restaurant.
I am sorry for your service experience at the bar, and the security guard who was unable to answer your question, but was pleased that you appreciated the large rooms and our oceanviews for a some of best values in Waikiki.

Reviewed May 20, 2011

If U like to escape from Waikiki crowd,
suggest U 2 stay here, convenient 2 access 2 Bowls, Ala Moana shopping ctr,
2 min. walk 2 ABC conveni.
reasonable valet parking service, off-course atmosphere, cleanliness, calm.
room are comfort, early bird breakie are valuable > US$ 9, elegant lobby,
regular staff are always helpful,

used 2 have concierge services, no longer now..... but always helpful as possible arrangement.......... lovely & reliable place.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank hiro_paddler
Reviewed May 18, 2011

My friend and I - we had separate side-by-side rooms - just returned from a 10 day trip to Honolulu. From greeting at the lobby entrance to leaving in the cab, A with tears in our eyes, we loved our stay at the Ilikai. The price was right; the room and unobstructed view over the Ali Wai Canal , Ala Moana Beach Park and the ocean; the service; the setting - all wonderful. We were so impressed. The rooms were very large, well kept, with frig, microwave, coffee maker, separate walk-in shower and toilet room with door, and tub and sink also separate with door. King size bed was comfy, huge windows and lanai, what more can I say? We were SO impressed. All staff did a great job of Aloha and my friend commented to me how friendly everyone was - this was her first time to Hawaii. Not a sound was to be heard once inside the room - no TV, no flushing toilets, no chichat from the room next door, etc. A bit of noise from the street but we soon grew accustomed to it. Access to all the places we wanted to go was great and enjoyed the Hilton Hawaiian Resort next door too. The Friday night Hawaiian entertainment put on by the hotel was great and we really enjoyed it. The small restaurant and bar could expand the menu a bit perhaps, but we liked the well-poured drinks and burgers. Staff here were exceptionally efficient and helpful to us.
The coffee shop with freshly made sandwiches, Kona coffee, muffins, juice and other goodies was very good and the folks in there very friendly and helpful. Both restaurants were happy to provide you with take-out and we had food on our lanai one evening and watched the sunset - spectacular. We also both heard and watched the Honolulu Marathon over in Ala Moana Park and all the comings and goings - could hear the music too! Our biggest disappointment - which had nothing to do with the folks in the hotel - was the restaurant Sarantos at the Top of the I -- very pricey - questionable food - indifferent service. We went on a Tuesday evening - on entering room seemed empty and tables unappealing (too early perhaps?) - we ordered two pasta dishes - one with scampi and one with mushrooms. They arrived in bowls with little eye-appeal, the scampi were very salty, as was the whole plate and the flavor was masked by the over-use of oil. The pasta did not taste freshly made to us. In short, we were not happy with our dinner, the cost, the service, or the fact the restaurant billed itself as 4 star. It reflects badly, in our view, on the hotel and is not even run by the hotel but I don't know if the guests are aware of this. To be fair - perhaps we hit them on an off night, but we were so looking forward to eating there often and sampling their whole menu - alas it was not to be. Got a kick out of the folks at the bell desk and the routine of clapping for the cabs. Great place to stay - wish we had longer. Keep it up folks - the secret will soon be out to all.

Room Tip: We enjoyed the high floor, view of sunset
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled with friends
3  Thank oldporcupine
Reviewed May 17, 2011

If staying for more than 3 days book a suite or apartment with cooking facilities. We loved the Lagoon area for swimming and sun and there are many fine dining options within walking distance from the Hotel. The in house "Sarento's" restaurent is a fine dining and sunset drinks option. Service and friendliness from the GM down to the house staff is a feature

Room Tip: Discuss all options with your Travel Agent
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank fergphill
Reviewed May 17, 2011

We rented a 2 bdrm/2 bath privately owned condo through WaikikiOceanFrontRentals in the Ilikai Hotel & Condo building "Hawaii 5 O Bldg" original program filmed out of this building, thus the nickname. This Y shaped building is in front of the Ala Wai Harbor and right next door to Hilton Hawaiian Village Resort. There is a large U shaped driveway to pull up to unload your belonging and groceries, where you are greeted by friendly and very helpful Valet Staff. The building has a beautiful but small walk up entrance with rock waterfall on either side of center staircase up to large beautiful dolphin sculpture. There is an escalator or elevator for use as well. Upon walking into large open air lobby it is clean, relaxed feeling, some shops and restaurants and if you walk straight through to view of gardens and harbor there are tables and umbrellas. There is a cement walkway that leads Ilikai residents over to the Hilton Lagoon and beginning of Waikiki beach strip. The pool is quite, pleasant enough, clean and more private than large resort area pools! Being that we rented through a private owner condo we did not have access to the fitness center.

The Ilikai Hotel building can be rented through the hotel, Shell Vacations or private owners and their rental agents. The hotel owns the top levels of the building, with the leg of Y as oceanfront rooms one side has lagoon to ocean views next to HHVlg and the other side has harbor and sunset views. The top of Y arms have same views with right side on HHVlg side and left side Harbor and Sunset, while the top of the arms are mountain and city views.

We went up to the very top of Ilikai building to Sarento's Italian Restaurant on Thursday evenings they have live excellent Jazz group, beware they charge a $10 per person "music fee" while seated at table for dinner $! The service is VERY slow and a bit unorganized, but if you can bare the wait while listening to awesome music all our food selections were excellent!!! Not one of us was unhappy with our dinners! The four of us split two salads which was plenty, they serve warms breads in basket and the cocktails were strong. There is a bar if you just want cocktails and appetizers while listening to music, along with awesome views in every direction from windows around entire restaurant!

Our rental experience was very painless, efficient and the pictures on the website were exactly what we happily received when entering condo unit. Very clean, well decorated, large, well stocked kitchen, great view of HHVlg Lagoon to ocean especially for Friday night Hilton fireworks and excellent value for rental fee paid $! Could not have asked for anything more, extremely happy with condo and rental service!!! We will definitely rent again from WaikikiOceanFrontRentals and stay at the Ilikai $!

Room Tip: You will get more value for your nightly rent $!
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family
14  Thank Tredpositive
Reviewed May 15, 2011

This hotel was great I rented a suite rm 1530 right across the street from the Hilton Village. Right there in downtown Waikiki lots to do and see restaurants within walking distance. Mall within 2 miles wonderful location right by the marina and near the beach. Waking up to waves and 80 degree weather i definetely can get used to it. loved it loved it.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
Travelers also viewed these Honolulu hotels
Waikiki
Aqua Oasis
#25 of 84 in Honolulu
Hilton Waikiki Beach
#28 of 84 in Honolulu

Been to Ilikai Hotel & Luxury Suites? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about Ilikai Hotel & Luxury Suites

Address: 1777 Ala Moana Boulevard, Honolulu, Oahu, HI 96815-1603
Location: United States > Hawaii > Oahu > Honolulu
#13 Family Hotel in Honolulu
#16 Romantic Hotel in Honolulu
#26 Business Hotel in Honolulu
Price Range: $221 - $579 (Based on Average Rates for a Standard Room)
Hotel Class:3 star — Ilikai Hotel & Luxury Suites 3*
The Ilikai Hotel & Luxury Suites is a classic oceanfront hotel situated on the Ala Wai Yacht Marina at the edge of Waikiki and just a short stroll to Ala Moana Shopping Center and 2 blocks to the Hawaii Convention Center. Internationally-recognized as the famous opening shot of Hawaii Five-O with Jack Lord as Steve McGarrett standing on the penthouse balcony overlooking Waikiki Beach, the hotel is truly a Waikiki landmark. Each guest room and suite features extra spacious accommodations with a large lanai offering fabulous views. The hotel walkway from the lobby leads to the Duke Kahanamoku Lagoon and beach.
With our hospitality fee for all stays, Ilikai Hotel & Luxury Suites allows guests to enjoy many hotel services and activities without having to incur miscellaneous charges. These amenities include WiFi throughout the hotel, DVDNow (Unlimited movies & PS3 games), Waikiki Shuttle (Complimentary Waikiki Shuttle Service), Daily Newspaper, In Room Coffee, In Room Safe, Local & Toll-Free Calls, and Water in Lobby, You'll also enjoy the heated swimming pool, fitness room, coffee shop, rooftop restaurant and more.
... more   less
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Aqua-Aston Hospitality, LLC, Travelocity, Booking.com, Expedia, Orbitz, Hotwire, Hotels.com, Priceline, HotelsforEveryone, Cancelon, HotelQuickly, getaroom.com and Evoline ltd so you can book your Ilikai Hotel & Luxury Suites reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
Ilikai Hotel And Suites