“An amazing and memorable accomodation experience.....”

Hilton Waikiki Beach
Ranked #27 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Dunedin
“An amazing and memorable accomodation experience.....”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2010

Wow! What more can I say...

I cannot thank Ali Lahip (front office manager) and his team of hardworking, very friendly and generous staff members enough to make our honeymoon the best memorable holiday we have ever had!

Upon e-mailing the Hilton Waikiki Prince Kuhio Hotel and explaining that we had just been married and were looking at honeymooning in Hawaii, Ali was so kind to offer us a complimentary upgrade for our entire stay while we were in Honolulu and we were welcomed with open arms by the frontline staff upon check-in. We were after a very clean, quiet and upmarket hotel that was in a great tourist location and we got a whole lot more! If you are looking for a hotel that cares about YOU as a person and not just another "customer" then please, take my advice and stay at the Hilton Waikiki Prince Kuhio. I guarantee you will not be disappointed. A real asset to Honolulu and Hawaii. Thanks again Hilton Waikiki Prince Kuhio Hotel, you made our honeymoon! Cheers.

Daniel and Lauren Cummings (Dunedin, New Zealand)

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
General_Manager_HI, General Manager at Hilton Waikiki Beach, responded to this review, September 24, 2010
Dan_envee,

Thank you for your review and five stars. I was very happy to read that we made your visit to Hawaii for your honeymoon a memorable experience. Your kind comments are greatly appreciated. I have said it before, I have the best staff in Hawaii. I will also relay your comments to Ali, am sure he will be thrilled.

Come Back Soon!

DGivens, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (917)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 21, 2010

This is a wonderful Hilton property. Look carefully for the various deals/packages on their website as they have some very good ones. Do confirm about whether there are any additional fees and sometimes those can get you if you are not careful. Everyone in Waikiki charges for parking so don't be surprised. But the Hilton only has valet parking (and if you saw the parking lot you would know why). Make sure you get the package with breakfast at least. It is a wonderful breakfast usually at a good inclusive price. Beware of the pancakes! One order can be shared between 8-15 people!! The higher the room, the better the view so try to get higher than lower. Other travellers will say that there are hotels closer to the beach. That is true. If you need to be on the beach, choose somewhere else and don't complain. But if you don't need to be on the beach, it is only 2 extra blocks of a walk and if you have a car, you will have no problem at all. Easy walking distance to almost anywhere in Waikiki. I would recommend this property to anyone staying in Honolulu.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Travbud1,

Thank you for your review and four stars. Your comments are greatly appreciated, especially the part that you would recommend us to others. Those words are magic.

Am glad you got to try the pancake, they are huge. Four pounds of pancake and toppings, I think its good that we are two blocks away from the beach it gives our guests time to burn off the meal.

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2010

We stayed at the Prince Kuhio Waikiki for 4 nights at the start of our honeymoon. Overall we were happy with the hotel.

Room
The room was beautifully decorated & modern, with LOTS of space for toilettries in the bathroom. I was disappointed that the closet was in the bathroom - this was awkward, and made what was a good sized bathroom feel small. We were on the 20th floor facing the ocean. It's a slightly obstructed view - not the most glorious, but still nice.

The service was consistently good, from the front desk reception to the restaurant staff to the cleaners.

We ate in the restaurant a number of times. The food was good but expensive - you'll get better value for money elsewhere. For breakfast we had the infamous pancakes. Due to their enormous size we got a few good pictures out of it, but I felt it was wasteful - my husband and I shared one and only manged to eat about 1/4 of it. I hate seeing food wasted and there were many other guests leaving more than 1/2 their pancakes behind, refusing the offer to take the rest away due to lack of facilities to store / reheat them.

Bar & Lobby
There was a nice bar in the lobby area, loved the Kono Colada, and the free wi-fi service. It was such a shame that internet access from our room was chargeable however.

Gym & Pool
The gym was nothing to write home about but was available for those who wanted it. The pool was small and did not particularly appeal. This wasn't an issue for us as the beach was only a few minutes away.

Location & Hotel Atmosphere
The location was excellent, very central, and close to the beach (but not directly on the beach). There were plenty of restaurants and shops in walking distance. Cab fare from the airport to the hotel was about $30-35.
The hotel had a bit of a 'business' feel to it. We noticed lots of service men and women staying there, as well at airline crew. It did not feel too unromantic for a honeymoon, but we did wonder if we should have splurged for the famous Halekulani.

Overall we enjoyed our stay, and we would return. Maybe after we try one of the other hotels that look more romantic though! :-)

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
General_Manager_HI, General Manager at Hilton Waikiki Beach, responded to this review, September 20, 2010
TransatlanticCityGrl,

Thank you for your review and four stars. Congratulations on your recential nuptials. Hawaii is a great place to enjoy your honeymmon. I was happy to read that you enjoyed your visit. I see you tried our world famous Mac Daddy Pancakes. They are huge especially with the additional toppings. I know you are from the UK, but make Hawaii an annual trip for your anniversary.

David
CincyGirl10
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 14, 2010

We used a travel agent to book our stay, and it was very affordable and so worth it! We received half off parking! I highly recommend staying in an executive level room with continental breakfast and appetizers in the evening all included. We loved the modern look, friendly staff and it was sooo close to the beach. We didn't need beach front since we weren't there just for Waikiki. We rented a car and saw the entire island. What a wonderful stay! I can't wait to return and stay here again.

The only bad thing was our room wasn't ready right away when we arrived, and we were so exhausted from our 9 hour flight.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank CincyGirl10
General_Manager_HI, General Manager at Hilton Waikiki Beach, responded to this review, September 16, 2010
CincyGirl10,

Thank you for your review and five stars. I was happy to read that you enjoyed hawaii and the hotel. I like that you rented a car and saw the island. Everyone should take one day out their vacation and make the circle and see other areas outside of Waikiki, there are some stunning views as you go around the island.

San Francisco
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 11, 2010

As a frequent traveler for business and pleasure I am particular about the accommodations I stay at. I have stayed at a few properties in Hawaii but none finer than the Prince Kuhio. As other reviewers have stated, the staff in top notch. In my opinion, it starts at the top with General Manager David Givens. I had noticed before I left on my trip that he responded to each and every review on Trip Advisor (good or not so good) with positive comments. I telephoned the hotel with a concern before my stay and Mr. Givens replied within 10 minutes giving me his personal cell phone number. He addressed my concern and handled it promptly. I would also like to acknowledge Ryan at the front desk who was very helpful.

I would also like to address some of the "complaints" of previous reviewers. In particular, guests are dissatisfied with the free (for Hilton Gold) breakfast and appetizers primarily because it in the " windowless basement" of the hotel. First, I want to say that it is one of the nicest breakfasts in terms of real oatmeal, cereals, bagels, nine kinds of coffee and three kinds of juices. The room had three flat screen TV's and is nicely furnished. However, since we are in Hawaii what is the solution? My solution was to take my breakfast to my 32nd floor room and eat in on my balcony each morning. Yes, there is a small sign in the breakfast room asking you not to remove food, but to be honest I didn't see any sign of the "breakfast police" and nobody stopped me from doing so. By the way, did I mention the breakfast was FREE!

The second issue that reviewers complain about is the $25 a night parking. Apparently, the reviewers have never been to New York of SF where it is twice the cost. The solution is that there is free street parking just two blocks away from the hotel. Additionally, you can do what I did, which is rent a car from Dollar Rental across the street and return it by 8 p.m. the same day, thus avoiding looking for parking or paying for parking.

As for the closet in the bathroom; are you kidding me? So what, it is out of the way and I can't believe people complain about it.

Additionally, the hotel offers free internet in the business center, a decent gym, and some of the biggest portions of food I have ever seen in their restaurant. A total score!

Overall, a great stay, and I will only stay at this hotel in Waikiki from now on.

Cheers.

Marius

• Stayed September 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank Marius40
Marius40,

Thank you for your review and five stars. TripAdvisor allows me to communicate with my guests on both a broad and personal basis. I enjoy getting to know my guests and try making their short visit a memorable experience. I was happy to read that you had a great time in Hawaii and at the hotel. I will make sure Ryan gets a copy of your comments am sure he will be thrilled to see them.

Also, I see that you have provided TripAdvisor with 34 contributions, it is much appreciated. Thank you for taking the time to send us your observations and comments.

Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 9, 2010

We have just returned from a wonderful stay at this hotel. My family and friends have stayed here in previous years and always feel so welcome each time we return. The staff are warm, friendly and helpful. The rooms are clean, comfortable and offer terrific views of either the ocean or the mountains. Their restaurant, MAC 24/7 is open 24 hours daily and offers a variety of really good food. It's conveniently located right in Waikiki just a short block from the beach. We want to say a special thanks to Shelley at the Front Desk who is always helpful, thoughtful and friendly, Howard in Catering who takes wonderful care of the Executive Lounge and ensures all visitors to it are consistently well taken care of with the help of Walter and Brandon, and all the valets who offer quick and friendly service each and every day.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends
Lillian0815,

Thank you for your review and five stars. I was happy to see that the team took care of your needs and that you enjoyed your visit. I will make sure Shelley, Howard, Walter and Brandon get a copy of your comments. I have always said I think I have some of the best staff in Hawaii. They really show what the Aloha spirit is truly about.

Warrm Hawaiian Regards,

captshaw
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 7, 2010

It is a nice clean hotel just a few blocks from the ocean. Typical Hilton, Clean, modern rooms with TV inputs, 10 floor pool with a nice view and bar. I was disappointed that Lanai (balcony) is locked off from the outside with a stick, so you could not go outside. Parking is Valet only at $25/day.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
Captshaw,

Thank you for your review and three stars. I was happy to see that you enjoyed your overall visit. I apologize for the Lanai issue. I did some research and found out that a previous guest had requested the Lanai locked off because of small children in the room. We should have removed the locking devise after they checked out. It seems we dropped the ball on this one. Again my apologies. please feel free to email me at david.givens@hilton.com to discuss further.

Come back soon.