“Great hotel”

Hilton Waikiki Beach
Ranked #27 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Reviewed October 23, 2008

This is a beautiful, recently remodeled hotel. Our room was very nice, with a great view of the mountains. Staff was excellent. My only complaint was the hotel restaurant, which was overpriced and only adequate. We loved everything else about this hotel.

• Business service (e.g., internet access)
Write a ReviewReviews (4,642)

Reviewed October 22, 2008

In a sea of hotels invading Waikiki, the Prince Kuhio is about mid-range in both price and quality. The staff was very friendly and very accommodating, however I still get peeved when they charge for internet in the rooms.

Speaking of the rooms, mine was very clean, had two beds, a mini fridge (nice if you are sick of paying Waikiki prices for meals), and a spacious bathroom. Hilton has wonderful beds, and this place was no exception. I never had any problems sleeping (except when rowdy frat boys were screaming outside, but the hotel can do nothing about that!)

If you are a hoi polloi member of the Hilton Honors, it gets a bit better. Every morning you get a free breakfast (bagels, fruit, cereal) and in the evening there is a pu pu selection from 5-7. In a sea of overpriced food you take the free stuff where you can get it.

The valet (there is no self parking) is a scary $25 a day... a hefty price but on par with most of the other hotels in the area. Some hotels offer a discounted rate if you self park, so be sure to check it out.

The restaurant (MAC 24x7) has some tasty food at reasonable prices. They have all you can eat spaghetti in the beginning of the week (I think Monday?) for $15, which is good if you are doing some serious hiking the next day. And to be sure, THEIR PANCAKES ARE HUGE!

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled on business
1  Thank TravelinMoose
Reviewed October 19, 2008

We stayed at this hotel for 4 nights and since I booked directly on the Hilton website, I decided to go for one of the guarantee rooms. In the comments I asked for something higher up with an ocean view. Both in our party (my mother and my husband and I) ended up with ocean view rooms. My mother on the 6th floor in an ADA room (as requested) and us on the 20th floor. So for $180 a night we ended up with an ocean view, not bad. The hotel was very nice, as we would expect for a Hilton property, close to everything too. I would say the only draw back was lack of air conditioning in both the lobby and the interior hallways. We couldn't wait to get back into our air conditioned room from a hike around Honolulu. Also some of the hotels have an open air lobby, to let the breezes in, this one didn't, probably because its on one the main bus lines and the noise and smell would not be a good idea. That being said, the bus is right nearby, as is a ABC store and its a short walk to the beach. We didn't eat at the hotel as there are so many other less expensive choices. Overall a very pleasant stay.

Reviewed October 17, 2008

My husband I stayed at the Hilton Prince Kuhio for two nights. We're checking out today (heading for the cruise ship, Millenium that's waiting in the harbor for us!). We really enjoyed the hotel. It's been remodeled in a very modern style. The flat screen TV was great. True, as with other reviewers, we had a great view of the mountain, though you had to look past the other high rises/low rises to get there. The bathroom is nice, I loved the glass tabletops, the glass enclosed shower. Mac 24/7 is a great restaurant - try the blueberry pancakes (invite your friends!). These are 3 of the LARGEST pancakes we've ever seen! One can never eat them, but the bites you can are extremely savory!

All in all, enjoyed the hotel -- we wouldn't stay here for a week's vacation --not because of the hotel, but because of Waikiki. It is crowded, and the populated beach scene is not for us. It was a nice walk to the beach though from the hotel.

We ate at Roy's one nite for dinner -- it's down on Lewer's Street - all very walkable. The service and food at Roy's was incredible. In fact, the customer service during our entire stay was some of the best we've had. It was a great short stay!

Reviewed October 14, 2008

I selected the Hilton Waikiki Prince Kuhio Hotel after reading reviews on Tripadvisor.
We arrived very late at night and were given a room right next to the elevators. We complained the next morning we were shifted immediately to another room .
This room was one level lower on the 35th floor also with great views out over the ocean and Diamond Head. The executive floor includes Continental Breakfast which we had each morning. Also free internet use is available and as we were travelling without a computer this business room was used by us each day.
The room had been recently renovated and was extremely comfortable. The bed would take the prize for the best bed on our six weeks of travelling and the bathroom was bright and extremely clean. The Crabtree & Evelyn La Source products in the bathroom were a luxury.
The walk to the beach would be around five minutes.
All in all a very good place to stay.

Reviewed October 14, 2008

A few short weeks ago I was waking up each morning to the most amazing view from the 35th floor....

This was a special trip for us - first time away like this without our 4 kids in over a decade and we were very pleased with our hotel choice.

We booked an Executive Ocean View room over their website and got a great rate ( and paid in full when the Aussie dollar was 98 cents - phew!!), and were thrilled when we saw the view from our room. Being so high there was minimal traffic noise, and we also found our room to be quite sound-proofed from our neighbours.

The bed and pillows were among the most comfy we've ever had in a hotel, and it was great to have a larger flat-screen TV to watch from bed. There was a little mini-bar-sized fridge that was empty, so we could fill it with sodas to take cold to the beach.

We had a complimentary continental breakfast each day - cereals, bagels, pastries and fruit which was more than enough to get us started for the day, and the staff in the (temporary, below-ground) executive lounge were always so cheerful!

We used the fitness centre each day and found it OK - the ellipticals needed some maintenance and it could use a few more weights, however we got most of our exercise in the ocean swimming and snorkelling anyway.

We enjoyed the walk into the "main drag" each evening for dinner and always managed to catch the sunset with a drink in our hands first.

My only real disappointment from our entire stay was the location of the wardrobe and what transpired as a consequence!! It was concealed behind the door in the bathroom and took us a while to find when first unpacking. Unfortunately I had succumbed to stomach flu from a bad oyster I believe and my husband did the packing on our last evening - he emptied all the drawers but forgot the wardrobe.
I didn't remember this til mid-flight back to Australia!!
I phoned the Hilton as soon as we landed and spoke with someone in house-keeping who had found our clothes - these were kindly packed and sent home to us at our expense. My big disappointment was that a few items were not sent home, and all of these had been on the same hangers with stuff that was in the parcel....
Anyway, it was our fault they were left behind so I shouldn't complain. We were most grateful for all that DID make it safely home, however will always wonder what happened to my favourite top and pair of shorts...

Apart from that one issue, we were ecstatic with all the hotel offered and it was ideal for a romantic week in Waikiki! I would highly recommend it.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 14, 2008

As far as a Hilton property, this one is like most other 30-40 year old buildings in a downtown setting. The rooms were somewhat small but modern. The Diamond HHonors lounge was in the basement, but I think they were remodeling the one on the top floor. Valet parking only ($25 per day!) and a nice pool on the 10th floor. Its about a 3-5 minute walk to the beach and the main strip.

I didn't eat in the hotel, but if you walk about 6-7 minutes to the Dukes on the ocean (inside the Outrigger) you will have a very nice meal for a reasonable price. Its the best tourist oriented place in Hawaii in my opinion.

Now, for Oahu/Honolulu...i'm a bit biased as I had just spent the prior two weeks in remote luxury on Kauai for my wedding and Maui for my honeymoon. Coming to Oahu for my last 2 days in Hawaii was a shocker...picture a cross between South Beach and Los Angeles and that is Honolulu. Very crowded, extremely difficult navigation and traffic and congested. If you travel a long way to visit the tropical setting of Waikii beach you are in for a huge disapointment. Its like Central Park in NYC with a small strip of sand that is packed to the gills with tourists. If you enjoy a bustling downtown scene with a nice view of the ocean, then this is the town for you. But, if you are looking for a "beach" scene and a laid back tropical location, please do not come to Waikiki.

Travel time from Hilton to Pearl Harbor was about 30-45 min early in the morning. I drove around most of the island and North Shore in 4 hours but got stuck in terrible traffic the last 3 miles getting into Waikiki. Unfortunately, most of Oahu seems to be either crowded, a tourist trap or both. I would only return here to connect at the airport to an outer island.

Please see my other reviews of Kauai and Maui..they are much more upbeat than this one! :-)

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple