“A good place to stay”

Ranked #28 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Auckland, New Zealand
“A good place to stay”
Reviewed August 11, 2013

We booked an executive ocean view room for our 7 night stay. We were sent an email after booking offering an upgrade for $40 a night to a one bedroom suite - I don’t recall the exact details but i think it was a wait listed offer. Anyway we took it up and managed to get that upgrade on our arrival.

I liked the location of the hotel. Being a block away from the main strip isn’t really a problem. Perhaps if you are only here a couple of nights it might seem a big deal but if you are here a week you kind of get to like being away from the hustle bustle. The street noise from Kuhio Ave can be a pain, but then I imagine staying at places along the strip and I think that would be more annoying. I guess it just depends on what you are looking for.

Our suite was a good size, but I don’t really understand why it isn’t set up like a suite. Eg, there is no crockery, glasses etc in the room. Not even a minibar? There is a small fridge in the lounge and a microwave so it could be useful if you want to heat up a pizza or something. But first you'll need to find some plates and cutlery and even glasses to drink out of.

The bedroom had a coffee maker but no kettle so when I was down at reception I asked about a kettle and they were able to send one up to our room straight away. Great, because I am not a coffee drinker and any tea drinker knows you don’t want to use a coffee maker to filter out hot water cause it taints your tea! But again, no cups, just throwaway paper cup things. I really feel these things let it down.

I loved having our small balcony to sit out on in the late afternoon and watch the ocean. It is small, ie, can only fit 2 people on it, and if someone is in the room next door on their balcony no privacy. But I just loved sitting there with the sun beating in.

The executive lounge is badly named. We called it the canteen. It's a little bit like feeding time at the zoo at breakfast and for evening pupus. There are no drinks to be had in the evening other than soft drinks/tea/coffee. I did see a sign saying you could purchase beer or wine but I have no idea where from as you didn’t really see any staff in the evening. Strange. Breakfast offerings were okay, but not fantastic. There was no printer by the computers. Printers are as cheap as chips nowadays so there is no excuse for not having a printer. As I say, it is just not an "executive" lounge such as we are used to. We don’t normally stay Hilton as we are IHG Royal Ambassadors so it was interesting to try it out.

People have mentioned that the pool area is windy and I can confirm this, but with temperatures of 30 deg celcius most days it didn’t bother me. I enjoyed the temperature of the pool. We had lunch at the pool bar one day. I cant say that I like my food arriving in a polystyrene container and thats what you eat out of but there you have it. But the food was nice.

Housekeeping staff on level 29 were excellent. Always friendly and ready with a smile and our room was always spotless.

Apart from breakfast and some pupus in the lounge, and our 1 lunch at the pool, we didn’t eat at the hotel. There are plenty of restaurants around to try. We were going to try Mac's one night but just never got around to it so I cant comment on that.

We were given a hospitality room to shower in on our day of departure, we checked out at 1pm from our room, but weren’t going to the airport until 7 pm so this was great to be able to freshen up.

If they offered a proper executive lounge this would be somewhere I would return to. It made me glad we took the 1 bedroom suite upgrade - but again, the room needs to be more like an actual suite. Overall we enjoyed our stay though.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank starrf1re

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (942)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed August 11, 2013 via mobile

Stayed 10 nights in July and beginning of August 2013. Overall good location, close to the beach and restaurants, pubs etc in Waikiki. Very good service, particularly in the reseption and concierge, named Glenny, that recommended and booked everything from shark swimming to surf lessons and tables in restaurants. The hotel looses higher rating do to some slow service in the breakfast restaurant.

• Stayed July 2013
Atlanta, GA
Reviewed August 11, 2013

My stay at this hotel was a very comfortable one. The hotel staff is very friendly, very accommodating, and very diverse! I felt very comfortable here. Our hotel room, a double room, located on the 32nd floor, was a nice size and the ocean view from the balcony was great! The beds were large and very comfortable. The only thing is, the room was in need of touch -up painting and dusting. The walls were a bit scuffed up, which I'm sure was due to traveler bags, etc... Also, the bathroom could use some painting and redoing. There was wallpaper tearing near the bottom of the closet doors. The dresser drawer and tables about the room were dusty. Perhaps due to the fact that the sliding door stayed open sometimes. Obviously no excuse, as everything should have been dusted by housekeeping everyday we were there, but were not. All in all, the room was suitable for our needs, as we didn't stay in it for the most of our trip. There's so much to see and do in Hawaii! Who would?!

My only other complaint about this hotel would be the elevators and lobby temperatures! Why don't they have air conditioner in them? Each time we returned to the hotel, I was MELTED by the time we got up to our room! That's something that needs working on. It was very uncomfortable. ..Also, the balconies can be very loud at night. People were out talking on them at very late hours. So it was quite hard to sleep some nights.

That said, I would recommend staying here to friends and perhaps even myself when I return to Oahu. We had a great vacation and one that I'll never, never forget! It was packed with loads of laughter, fun, and tons of memories! ;)

Ps--A bit off the subject, there's a guy who works with valet parking that's absolutely ADORABLE. His name was Ken. :) Each time he'd bring our car down, I'd grin so much! Haha ^^ I think he knew I liked him, too! ;) He was a sweetheart, as were the other valet attendants.

Thanks for reading!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Coolwindzephyr
LA, United States
Reviewed August 9, 2013

I stayed at the Hilton Waikiki and would say this is a n excellent choice for a Hotel in Honolulu. Rooms are clean and beds are updated. Hotel is well kept. Try to get a room that faces the ocean. Not that may restaurants nearby but within walking distance.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

1 Thank Gregg G
Florida, United States
Reviewed August 8, 2013

Paid extra for parking, in advance, only to learn, on arrival, that this hotel only offers valet parking at $25.00 per night. Parts of the hotel needs updating and refreshing. Well located for activities in Wakiki.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

GM-HiltonWaikiki, General Manager at Hilton Waikiki Beach, responded to this review, August 14, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay at our hotel. We appreciate your feedback and we’re very sorry you were unhappy with the appearance of our hotel. I'd also like to apologize for the confusion on the parking charge. Guest feedback is incredibly important to us and we are taking your comments into consideration as we improve our on-property experience. We hope to have another opportunity to serve you, if your travels bring you back to our area.

Thomas Foti
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 7, 2013

Stayed here for 8 nights in July. Could not fault it at all. Rooms excellent. Pool area very good. Meals great. Will be there again could reccomend it to all types of traveller.
In very Andy location for all of Wiakiki

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank DenisWilliam
Reviewed August 7, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at the Hilton for 6 nights and absolutely loved it. The staff was always incredibly helpful. Our room had a lovely mountain view. Bathroom was so nice too. Perfect location - only 1 block to the beach and close to all of the downtown Waikiki action. Concierge service was great in helping us book a bus trip to Pearl Harbor. Would absolutely stay at this hotel again.

1 Thank Andrea S