“Nice hotel walk to the beach”

Hilton Waikiki Beach
Ranked #27 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Reviewed August 24, 2012

We received a good deal to stay here, so I thought we give it a try. Nice hotel, walk to the beach. Their restaurant. Had such great food 24. Hours, we ended up always eating there . The only downside is that they charge $25 day for parking which I feel is a little high. The rooms
We're very small, but very modern.

Room Tip: Always read the reviews on any hotel,
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank BennyBones
Write a ReviewReviews (4,680)

Reviewed August 24, 2012

Overall, this was a really nice hotel. It's about a block back from the beach and it's down the quieter end of Waikiki. Don't be fooled, the picture on this website is NOT the same Hilton, that's the more expensive one on the beach.

The room itself was very nice and had lots in it. Had a fridge which was handy, but it wasn't the biggest fridge in the world. Couldn't fit a 2 litre bottle of Coke in it without taking out a shelf.

The lobby was quite big and looked nice. I can only assume the air-conditioner was broken. It was by far the hottest area of the hotel. Good luck getting onto the concierge down there in the lobby. Busiest person in the world, and there's only one of them. We waited about 45 minutes to see them, and we were the next people in the queue the whole time!

The pool is really nice, but get down early for prime positioning on the day beds. I didn't really rate the in-hotel restaurant to be honest.

The TV was a bit hit-and-miss. Sometimes channels would work, other times you'd get no signal. At some point ESPN2 just stopped working, it was as if someone forgot to pay the bill.

The biggest issue is the WIFI access though. We were informed they have complimentary WIFI. However, you can only get this if you're at the pool or in the lobby. If you're in your room (where the WIFI would be most useful), you can't get onto it unless you're a Hilton Honors member, or pay a fee. I found this to be ridiculous, considering the lobby was stifling and the limited covered areas outside the pool. Have you tried looking at a smart phone in direct sunlight?

There are also no laundry facilities. A laundromat is nearby, but then there's nowhere to hang your clothes in the room. You can put them on the balcony I suppose, but with the amount of wind we saw all week, I can't imagine they'd stay on the balcony for long.

We booked a king bed, but there were none available when we checked in (this is apparently their policy), so were upgraded to a mountain view room, but with two double beds. It was an OK compromise, but would've preferred the cheaper room and a king bed really.

Overall though, this was a nice hotel.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Leigh M
Reviewed August 23, 2012

I stayed at the Hilton Waikiki beach on a business trip for 10 days in July. I was in a room on the 30th floor facing the mountain. Overall, this hotel is very good.
-Check-in was very easy
-Valet parking was $25 per and the attendants too anywhere from 5 minutes to 25 minutes to get your car.
-Location was great in downtown Waikiki. There were plenty of restaurants and beaches within walking distance, as well as a bus stop right outside the hotel. However, if you will be traveling to the Pearl Harbor area, it will take about 30 minutes to 1 hour depending on rush hour traffic.
-The room itself was pretty nice. Balcony, nice view, clean bathroom, comfortable bed. However, the paint in my room seemed to be falling off. It didn't bother me at all, but it was worth mentioning.
-The MAC 24/7 restaurant was pretty, but overpriced in my opinion. The typical breakfast including 15%-20% tip for sevice and not including any coffee or juice, ran about $18.

Long story short, this is a great hotel in the Waikiki area.

Room Tip: Rooms on the mountain facing side are a bit quieter and the mountain view is nicer than the back of...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Czrich86
Reviewed August 22, 2012

My employer recently sent me to Honolulu for work (I know, I know) and I enjoyed 3 nights at the Hilton Waikiki Beach. This hotel holds up to the quality expected by Hilton.

The open air lobby was beautiful and check in was a breeze! Fantastic and friendly service.
The room was spacious, especially the bathroom. Although I didnt have a view of the ocean, the view of the mountains behind us was gorgeous and I enjoyed the Lanai. The bed was comfortable and the bathroom spacious.

We spent some time at the pool which was a little breezy but extremely comfortable. The onsite dining was a little spendy, but the portions were generous enough to share.

The hotel is only a couple of blocks from the beautiful Kuhio Beach where there were plenty of activities, including surf lessons.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank FanofFlorida
Reviewed August 21, 2012

Stayed at this hotel in 2011. We got in on a very late flight & were quickly picked up & taken back to the hotel. Waikiki is a beautiful city & the people are very friendly. Although it is more of a business hotel we still enjoyed our time there. We did a island tour using a tour company & we did feel like it was very rushed. We did see the main attractions...Polynesian Centre, Mormon Temple, Kualoa Ranch, Waimea Sunset & Pipeline Beach & Dole Pineapple, Enjoyed the Ala Moana Shopping Centre & went back a few times in our 10 day stay. We also enjoyed the Aloha Stadium Flea Market. You can pick up some cheap touristy gadgets there. I manged to score me a pair of nike's for $50...I thought this was pretty awesome. We didnt enjoy Waikele Outlet Shopping as we thought it was old or un-sold items. If you look hard enough you might find some treasure's.. We went to a seafood restaurant near the International Market Place (sorry I dont remeber the name) & the food was horrible. My huisband ordered the lobster with Steak & the lobster was off. We certainly didnt expect to see this on a main st in Waikiki. My husband was so glad he didnt eat any of it as that would of turned our holiday into a dr's trip. How the staff or chef for that matter, couldnt smell the horrible odur is beyond me. We were quickly replaced with a FRESH lobster & we finshed our meal & left & never returned. I know alot of people will be like YUCK but I actually enjoyed Dennys.....the "Ham over the moonie's" dish was so yummy. I found it by mistake. For us kiwi's & aussie's The madonalds buns over here taste like it had sugar on them......Do they????? The rooms are nicely decorated. One morning I woke up to violins playing & doves on my balcony. There was a wedding on down below which we got to witness which was lovely. My only whinge is that we were told to be down stairs at a certain time for a transfer pick up, when we arrived we had missed the transfer. The hotel did nothing to contact us (& we were sitting in our room) or try & find where we were. If you are told that your going to be picked up at a certain time by the hotel...you tend to believe them. It was their error & yet we had to find our own cab & then fork out $60 usd to catch a cab to the airport. This really made me angry. Would I return to Waikiki Hilton...probally not. I would look at going to the Sheraton Waikiki or HHV.

Room Tip: if you are going to stay here ask for a room overlooking the garden. There is no beachfront althoug...
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Lisa T
Reviewed August 21, 2012

This was our second stay here and again the rooms are good, comfortable beds, nice bathrooms, ample storage, friendly staff, good service. But this time we chose to stay in an executive room in order to have breakfast included and a lounge to use in the evening. The executive rooms are slightly larger and considerably quieter than the rooms on lower floors and our group enjoyed both the ocean and mountain views. The lounge however was a bitter disappointment. It is in the basement and in the mornings is overrun with families all fighting for a breakfast which is well below par. The coffee bar is pretty awful and there was a sad selection of hot food which was scrambled eggs every day together with a crepe none of us dared try and various 'meat products.' The bagels were fresh though and there were bread, pastry and juice choices. The general atmosphere of the lounge though was shockingly bad with 3 TVs tuned to different channels in quite a small area. We only checked out the 'pupus' during happy hour once and decided we'd rather stay in the lobby bar area. My other complaint with the hotel is that the corridors, lobby and lifts are not air-conditioned. I really hope hotels save a ton of money on this and pass those savings on to their guests because I find it horribly uncomfortable and can't see the point in skimping in these areas. I will probably choose elsewhere for my next stay in Waikiki.

Room Tip: The lower rooms can be noisy with car park views.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
11  Thank Choppies64
Reviewed August 20, 2012

I enjoy this hotel and it's location. The rooms are very nice, though not very sound proof. On the 34th floor we could here people walking above us and doors slamming in the hall. There was a loud group in a room across the hall, but security didn't hesitate to quiet them down (politely) when I called about it. Our hallway a/c didn't seem work at all and the elevators were sometimes hot and stuffy (uncomfortable ride to and from the 34th floor) but our room stayed cool. The reviewer who wrote about cig. smoke must have had bad luck... we didn't encounter anything like that. The pool is very nice, not spectacular. I think some of the reviewers writing about lagoons, huge resort, and proximity to Ala Moana stayed at the Hilton Hawaiian Village, and reviewed the wrong Hilton. We like the hotel, and will be back.

Room Tip: Ocean view rooms are a little noisier (as in all of Waikiki!) but high floor rooms do have pretty s...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple