“Great location! Cheap parking next door.”

Hilton Waikiki Beach
Ranked #28 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Reviewed July 7, 2012

This attractive hotel has a great location, very convenient to the beach and an easy walk to the international marketplace. The rooms from 12th floor up have nice view of ocean and surfers from the balcony. The man behind the front desk was very helpful when i showed him our booking was supposed to have free internet. Downsides: the car valet lied to us when we told him we were planning on parking at the Waikiki Banyan for $12/day, telling us we would have to pay each time. As a matter of fact, we already knew from TripAdvisor that it includes as many in and outs as you wish for any 24 h period after your time stamp. The balcony door could be opened with a sharp tug even when locked (not too bad if you are on a high floor). The bathroom is designed with its frosted door and floor to ceiling shuttered "windows"so that the whole room glows with brightness whenever someone uses the bathroom at night. The pool is small( but ocean so close by).

• Stayed: July 2012
GM-HiltonWaikiki, General Manager at Hilton Waikiki Beach, responded to this reviewResponded July 16, 2012

Thank you very much for the review of the hotel and thank you for complimenting on our superb location. Let me apologize about the misinformation that you may have received from one of the valet attendants as some may not be aware of the overnight parking charges of nearby hotels. I am very thrilled you enjoyed yourselves otherwise. Aloha and Mahalo!

Reviewed July 6, 2012

My husband is a Hilton Diamond Member and so has a lot of points to use. Before heading home, we wanted to stay in Honolulu for three days after our week on the Big Island. The use of points at this hotel seemed the best bargain. While the location was great and we were upgraded to a room with an ocean view because of his status, this hotel was missing something or maybe more than one thing. I am a big fan of Hilton in general but this one was not up to Hilton standards. It apparently used to be a Radisson and it still functions more like a Radisson than a Hilton. The staff were not always friendy and not always helpful. They answered questions but volunteered little more than basic information. Through dumb luck or extended observation, for example, we discovered some options for transportation, etc. on our own and said to ourselves more than once "why didn't they suggest this at the hotel". After coming from a resort on the Island of Hawaii where the staff fell all over themsleves to be helpful, the lack of help here stood out and was probably magnified more in my mind than it may have been otherwise. Also, in a place that thrives on tourism, the service industry should get the cream of the crop among the labor force but, sadly, this was not evdent here. On the plus side, however, the executive lounge was reasonably nice though not always staffed. It was also isolated on the ground floor which was a little odd but it worked. The lounge breakfast was actually pretty good with decent options. The one exception was the coffee which was marginal at best. As I indicated, the biggest positive about this hotel was the location. It was easy to get anywhere on Waikiki one wanted to go.

Room Tip: The ocean side is worth it.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
Management response:Responded July 12, 2012

Thank you for reviewing and rating your recent stay with us. I would like to convey my utmost apologies for the challenges that you incurred throughout your experience while staying with us. Each day, all of our team members strive to spread the Aloha spirit to each and every guest. I am so very sorry that this did not occur on your visit. Please feel free to contact me directly so that I may further look into these challenges and rectify for our future guests.

Reviewed July 5, 2012

Lovely looking hotel, lobby and gardens are lovely. Very short walk to beach, majority of staff are lovely, however couple of individuals could do with a refresher course from the Hilton HR department. Presumption would be that locals actually know a bit more about the area they are working in but this wasn't the case, doesn't reflect well on a hotel where a visitor from the UK knows more about local transport that the concierge person.

Room Tip: Ask for executive ocean view for the best views - upgrades can be difficult to obtain, just smile an...
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank jennings01uk

Thank you for coming such a long way to stay with us while visiting Waikiki. I am thrilled that you enjoyed your time here. My apologies about the inconsistency with the concierge staff, I will be sure to bring this up with our team as a training opportunity. I hope you had safe travels home. Aloha and Mahalo.

Reviewed July 4, 2012 via mobile

I stayed at this property for 9 days on a business trip, I was less than impressed. Staff was not friendly at all, air conditioning did not work well at all, shower door leaked. I visited the Marriott down the street, I could have gotten a nicer room there at a lower rate. This year when I return for business I will not be staying at this hotel.

• Stayed: October 2011
Management response:Responded July 6, 2012

Thank you for your comments and review of your recent stay with us. I cannot be more apologetic about your experience during your stay. These occurrences are not at all indicative of the types of experiences that we generally create for our valued guests. We take pride in the levels of service that we provide and it pains me that you did not experience this on your most recent visit. I would greatly appreciate it if you would contact me so that I may assist in creating a far better stay should you chose to return after our conversation. Again, please accept my sincere apologies. Aloha.

Reviewed July 4, 2012 via mobile

Party of 4 stayed from 24 June through 4 July 2012. City View room on the 7th floor. Lanai overlooked the gardens below and a koi pond. Could still see the mountains from our room.

Location overall wasn't too bad. Only a short walk to the beach. There are 2 ABC stores very close by for added convenience.

Due to myself being a light sleeper I had problems with traffic noise. This is no fault of the hotel itself. Leaving the air conditioning on overnight can make you feel terrible when you wake up. I suggest leaving the lanai door open at night, but this created the problem with traffic noise. Once I started using earplugs and sleeping pills I was fine.

Cleaning staff were excellent and always greeted us with a warm Aloha in the hallway.

Had a great time at the lobby bar a few nights during our stay. They have happy hour between 5-7pm daily, so take advantage of the half price cocktails.

Make sure you look for Stacey at the bar. She was amazing! Always treated us wonderfully, always smiling and willing to chat. True Aloha spirit! Will miss her a lot!

Didn't have a chance to try food at MAC 24/7 restaurant in the lobby unfortunately. But have heard good things. Beers there are cheap too! $5 for 12oz and only $8 for 20oz.

Waikiki Trolley stops right outside the hotel, so it's very easy to get out to Ala Moana.

Met Thomas the General Manager in the elevator on day. Pleasure to meet you sir. I must say, our time at your hotel was wonderful.

Will recommend to friends and family!

• Stayed: June 2012

Thank you so very much for all your kind words and great review of your stay. I couldn’t be more thrilled with the comments that you have shared. I will be sure to let the cleaning staff know that they are doing a wonderful job and Stacey know that she had a positive impact on your stay as well. Considering that you didn’t try MAC 24/7, you must come back and try to complete the MAC Daddy Pancake challenge. It was a pleasure to meet you as well. Aloha and Mahalo.

Reviewed July 2, 2012

I stay here a lot. This year 19 days to date (33 total in Honolulu this year). They just got wireless in June. A huge plus for all of us with IPADs and smart phones. I was here the week of June 24 and while the wireless was working it was very, very slow. I don't know if they anticipated the useage and maybe they can increase capacity. This hotel is great for me as a business man. If you valet park and want to leave between 6:30-8:30, give yourself an extra 15 minutes for your car to come down. I know there have been comments about crowd at the executive breakfast and it would be great if it was open for even an additional 30 minutes in the morning. I will be back the 4th week of July & As a Diamond member I have booked the room level I want to make sure everything is right. Never knowing when they are full and my late night arrivals coupled with an occasional desk person who isn't experienced enough to change my room for upgrade, I've found it best to book the room level I want. I was in 3510 which is executive level ocean view. When you are at the front desk checking in ask what your room number is and if even # you're lucky. The staff is very good!

Room Tip: Even number is ocean side
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Seattlebiz

First of all, I would like to thank you tremendously for continuing to stay with us on your travels. We are thrilled to offer wi-fi, thank you for your patience. It was a little slow during our testing phase, but now everything is smooth sailing. Thank you for the five stars, and we look forward to seeing you at the end of July. Aloha.

Reviewed July 2, 2012

We got a really good rate, which made it worth it, when we needed to stay longer the rates were a little high for what you got. Lobby is well appointed with free wifi, the 24 hour restaurant is clean and decent. Superb location just a very short walk to Waikiki Beach and everything else you could want. Reception staff were first rate. Would recommend at a decent rate. Valet parking is very efficient. A very pleasant place to stay for a short break in Waikiki

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank MLH2012
Management response:Responded July 9, 2012

Thank you so very much for your great review of the hotel. I am excited to hear that you got to enjoy everything that we have to offer. Thank you for mentioning our superb location and I will definitely let the reception staff and valet staff know that they are doing wonderful jobs. Aloha and Mahalo!