Castle Waikiki Grand Hotel
Ala Moana Hotel(Honolulu)(Great Value!)
$189
$450
$226
$219
  • Breakfast included
Hyatt Regency Waikiki Resort & Spa(Honolulu)
$239
$336
$224
$190
  • Beachfront
All reviewshonolulu zoodiamond headacross the streetkapiolani parkqueens beachsun deckcondo complexcoffee makerfull size fridgehalf blockminute walk to the beachbus stopocean viewlate checkrented a carshops and restaurantsroxy
Reviewed February 10, 2006

My husband and I were a little leary of staying in this hotel, especially after reading some of the reviews on this site. After calling about room reservations, we were told that they couldn't give us a room number until check-in, but that we did have one of the better rooms. We wound up with room 911, which was wonderful!

The view was great from the balcony, over the zoo, out towards diamond head, and right toward the ocean. You also overlook a park where we watched school groups eat and families play. Since he was there on business and I met him there for 3 days, we weren't in the hotel that much, which is how it should be for someone travelling to Hawaii.

The room was great -- we had a coffee maker, refrigerator, microwave. The TV was small, but we never turned it on anyway. The room wasn't large, either, but for the two of us, as little as we were there, it was fine.

We also realized on the second day that maid service is better if you tip. There was some balcony construction going on in the room above us, but there were signs warning us and encouraging hotel guests to schedule activities out of the hotel during certain hours (again, you're in Hawaii, who's going to be in the hotel all day??).

Overall, a much better experience than expected, especially for the reasonable price.

• Stayed: January 2006, traveled on business
17  Thank HS_hstry_tchr
Calgary, Alberta
Reviewed February 1, 2006

To anyone thinking of staying at this hotel, all I can say is "buyer beware". I was a repeat customer at this hotel and thought that we would try it again. After making an internet reservation though the Waikiki Grand website (they also go by the name of Queen Surf Rentals), we received an email confirmation to stay in Room 911 (one of their top-rated and nicest rooms). My wife and I (yes, we knew that it was gay-friendly, but that doesn't bother us as we're open minded Canadians) were very much looking forward to spending time in Room 911 as it is often described as one of the best in the hotel.
When we arrived around 12:30 a.m. of January 23, I was greeted by a security person who not only couldn't find my confirmation, but also had difficulty communicating in simple English. After spending almost half an hour searching around the offices and making phone calls, it was finally discovered that my room was rented out due to "an emergency". Excuse me??!! The whole premise behind a reservation confirmation is to actually hold that room, not rent it out. Instead of enjoying a romantic 2 days in room 911, my wife and I were given room 509. Hardly the same room and quite frankly, a room that I wouldn't let my worst enemy stay in. Dingy, drab, and noisy. The next morning, we were moved to room 1002. Roomier and a nice view from the balcony. But the furniture was dirty and the place overall lacked any of the character, romance, or ambiance that we had looked forward to.

Quite frankly, I don't think these people can be trusted. No one ever bothered to contact me to explain why we were not given room 911 or offer any sort of apology or explanation. As far as I'm concerned, they breached the contract that we agreed to.

• Stayed: January 2006
7  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed December 11, 2005

-the '12 and '14 units are next to the elevators, vibrations will keep you awake.
-'08 thru '16 have ocean views ('16 no lanai).
-some have kitchen, some not; some have a tub, some not; some are renovated, some not.
-prices vary wildly, depending on where you get them: Queens Surf Vacation Rental is the most expensive, and shows pics of room "categories." Waikikigrand.com gives actual pics of actual rooms with actual amenities, but web site prices DO NOT match what they will "quote" you!!!
-The best rates are to be found at VRBO.com, Craigslist.com, or Yahoo search engine which will turn up gems such as Waikikiretreat.com.
-Oh, sundeck suite 1003 is a dump, 1004 is renovated and nice, 1005 is fabulous but too expensive, 1009 is large, private.
-Parking is limited, $8 a day, and many times I came home to find someone else parked in my stall!
-Many units have wireless internet, as does Hula's so all you need is your laptop, and configure it to pick up someone else's signal.

• Stayed: May 2005
24  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed October 13, 2005

As the rooms in this hotel have different individual owners, the standards are also different. We had room 614 which was roomy, clean, good size bathroom, TV, fridge, coffee maker...all the things you would expect. Great view over the zoo to Diamond Head and the beach. Great for gay travellers as the best gay bar in Hawaii (Hula's) is located on the 2nd floor and Queen's beach is just a few minutes walk. Will stay there again next year.

• Stayed: September 2005
9  Thank KER_1952
Las Vegas, NV
Reviewed October 1, 2005

I stayed in #1009 (penthouse/roof). It was truly paradise. Unbelievable view of the beach and Diamond Head in one stunning panorama. Tans look great against the white sheets, gentle trade winds blowing through the louvered windows. A quick walk to Waikiki Beach to surf, snorkle, and sun; to Kalakaua Avenue with shops and restaurants, or to Kapialani Park & Zoo. The unit was roomy, no fighting for bathroom (2) and had a kitchenette for making quick snacks, with fridge for cold beer to enjoy on the lanai while watching the sunset. While there I watched movies on the big screen on the beach, saw & bought from the art fair in the park, attended the Spam Festival on Kalakaua. Didn't ever need the car. Next time won't even rent one.....just shuttle down from the airport. Can't say enough about it.....it was an incredible stay!

Stayed: April 2005