“Don't bother”

Castle Waikiki Grand Hotel
australia
“Don't bother”
Reviewed November 29, 2013

Look when you go on holiday I know the idea is to just find a cheap place to sleep and immerse yourself in the local culture. This is the sort of hotel that not only wil ruin your holiday due to staff incompetence and general dirtiness of the hotel but will make you feel unsafe.
I booked to stay here and after arriving slightly early waited for a while in the lobby and saw homeless people walking in the lobby and yelling and staff members being incredibly unprofessional and incompetent.
There are plenty of nicer places on Waikiki and not even that much more expensive.
Do yourself a favour and stay somewhere else because you flew all the way to Hawaii to have FUN and relax.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank towner29

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Reviewed November 24, 2013

The Hotel was dirty, the surrounding area was dirty, the service was horrible. Would not recommend to any one. The hotel is very noisy. The working staff are lazy. The accommodation's and the photo's they advertise are very, very deceiving.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family

Travelers are raving about these Honolulu hotels

Houston, Texas, USA
Reviewed October 30, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

This was a great hotel for the money right next to the beach, centrally located. I would stay here when I go to honalulu. the rooms were clean, they have washer and dryers. they will give clean beach towels when you go to the beach

Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank smilenbean
San Diego, California
Reviewed October 26, 2013

Nothing about it was good. Under reconstruction was the least of their problems. POOR front desk staff that made many mistakes with reservations two months in a row. I should have known better. You get what you pay for. Cold water and noisy air conditioner. Towels were like sandpaper

Room Tip: Clse proximity to Hulu's was not worth it!
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Philip686
Obihiro, Japan
Reviewed October 24, 2013

I stayed only 2 nights before heading to another island. The hotel is located across the Honolulu Zoo and only few minutes walk to the beach. The room is equipped with kitchen and Free Wi-fi in the room was helpful, too. I especially liked the excellent view of Diamond Head and the ocean. Only negative point is there is no housekeeping service during the stay. Otherwise it's good for budget travellers and I'd like to come back for a couple of nights.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Frankfort, Illinois
Reviewed September 27, 2013

The hotel is located half a block off the beach and across the street from the zoo. Many restaurants are close by. There is a pretty fun gay bar, Hula's, located on the 2nd floor, and a good hamburger joint is accessible from the lobby. Staff were pleasant, but seemed a bit confused with allocating parking. Be warned - their website indicates on-site parking is available, however, it is limited, and they do sometimes run out of parking spots. In room WiFi was free and worked very well. The property is extremely run down. The room was dingy and dank. The carpet, curtains, and bed linens were old and stained. Bath linens were old and in poor condition. Bath toiletries were good. I would not stay there again unless I was convinced the property had been completely renovated. Note that maid service reportedly only happens every 3 days. We stayed for 3 days, and received no housekeeping services at all.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
RAhlo, General Manager at Castle Waikiki Grand Hotel, responded to this review, October 7, 2013
Aloha
Thank you very much for your comments. Our housekeeping services are scheduled for every fourth day and as a result of your three day stay did not receive any cleaning services during your vacation. I apologize if that was not mentioned to you upon check in. We the management company are disucssing needed upgrades with each owner and some may be willing to improve on needed areas in their unit and other at this time are not looking to invest monies needed for improvement. Overtime that will cause us to not participate with those units and look to represent the better units at the Waikiki Grand. I thank you for your understanding on your recent vacation here in Hawaii. Should you decide to return I ask that you give me a call to potentially insure a quality stay. We strive to offer quality services with our trained personel with service with ALOHA and some elbow grease when it comes to cleaning.
Again Mahalo Nui Loa. (Thank You Very Much).
St. Ann
Reviewed September 24, 2013

I arrived at the hotel 9/13/13 around 4:00 p.m. with a reservation for me and my spouse. My two sons and daughter in-law helped us bring the luggage to the front desk. I gave the clerk my name and he said the reservation was for only two people as if we were trying to sneak three more people into the room. I told the clerk that one son was in the Navy there and my other son and his wife was staying in another hotel. I told him the name of the hotel and he said why didn't we book a room there because it was better than this one. After we checked in he gave us a room on the 4th floor which was very tiny and the windows had duck tape on them and the window air conditioner didn't work. On one of the plexi glass windows the duck tape had come off and it was a big gap between the plexi glass and window frame. I immediately went to the front desk and told the clerk about it and he moved us to a room on the 5th floor. The room was very small and the window air conditioner was noisy. I put up with noisy window air conditioner for two days and on third day I discovered that the microwave oven didn't work. I went to the front desk, luckily there was a different clerk on duty, and he gave us a room on the 10th floor. The room was very large with a kitchen. A day later we discovered it was roach invested.

Room Tip: I stayed in three rooms when I was there and all three had issues. I have photos of room two and thr...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple