“The best shave ice in Honolulu”
Review of Shimazu Store

Shimazu Store
Ranked #34 of 107 Dessert in Honolulu
Description: Great shave ice in Honolulu. See http://www.yelp.com/biz/shimazu-store-honolulu for their reviews. Deserves to be on TripAdvisor!
Reviewed December 27, 2013

They offer all the flavors you could possibly want and then some. They even had strange flavors you wouldn't normally associate with shave ice. My opinion after trying a few is to stick with the fruit flavors. Tea and chocolate flavors, etc don't taste so good on shave ice. Also, when I dropped a mixture of green and brown on my scrubs, that didn't look so good.
These are huge by the way. I am an adult and the kids one was more than enough for me.

Reviewed December 22, 2013

Best Original Flavors, Ice is very light, and the service there is very friendly and helpful.

I got lucky I guess by walking in on an overcast day to no line. Got a small and it is humongous. They have such a great selection of flavors that I asked the 2 kind ladies to tell me their favs. One was Bananas Foster, which was absolutely excellent and was poured on from a chilled bottle out of the fridge. That was a very quality touch. Didn't melt all the ice on contact. Didn't see other Shave Ice places do this. Kudos Shimazu!

The other suggestion was Lemon Drop, as in the candy, and my girlfriend said it was spot on.

I regret not getting a T Shirt, they have cool designs.

I tried many competitors in Kailua, Honolulu, Waikiki, and the famous N Shore spots, and Shimazu was the best for Shave Ice hands down for size, quality of flavors, price, and great service.

Def recommend and will return! Let me know if this was helpful. Aloha!

1  Thank JSDeez
Reviewed October 7, 2013 via mobile

This is a great place to visit for shaved ice. The shave ice here is delicious!!! Keep in mind its a small whole in the wall......but in my opinion those are typically the best places to experience authentic food/deserts. They have tons of flavors and options for add-ins or toppings.

Reviewed October 5, 2013

We tried Shimazu's after reading the reviews here at TripAdvisor. We were surprised to find that it is a very small hole in the wall kind of store. There is no free parking, just meters out front, but you can take your chances if the line isn't long. We had to wait 30 minutes in the burning sun outside because a group of about 15 school kids had just gone in ahead of us, and there are only 2 workers. One works the ice, the other takes the money and pours the syrup on. I had the 3 flavor small, which was $3.50 if I remember. While it was very good on an extra hot day, I couldn't help but think how it could be better than another stores ice with syrup poured on it? I would have given a higher mark but for my discovery. I had gone back inside, which can only hold about 4 or 5 people, to get some napkins when I noticed that the kid who shapes the ice onto the holder was using one plastic glove on one hand, but was shaping the ice on the holder with his bare hand! If I hadn't already eaten the thing I would have thrown it out. Hep A came right to my mind. I watched for another few minutes but I had an appointment to keep. He was still using his bare hand rubbing on every inch of every shave ice they were selling, packing it together like a snowball bare handed! I can't recommend the place for this reason. If they did it then, they probably always do it. Sorry!

4  Thank Trip117
Reviewed October 3, 2013 via mobile

This isn't your typical shaved ice. The ice is fine enough to melt in your mouth w/o melting in the Hawaii heat!
I, personally, love the root beer but your mouth may get tired of one flavor so try the rainbow :)
There was a line 90% of the time we passed it but the employees are well adapted to this crowd; so don't get your panties in a wad :)
Happy hunting!