“Good but.......”
Review of Shimazu Store

Shimazu Store
Ranked #33 of 107 Dessert in Honolulu
Description: Shimazu’s serves the finest shave ice on Oahu with 70+ exclusive handcrafted syrups to choose from. http://www.yelp.com/biz/shimazu-store-honolulu for their reviews.
Reviewed October 5, 2013

We tried Shimazu's after reading the reviews here at TripAdvisor. We were surprised to find that it is a very small hole in the wall kind of store. There is no free parking, just meters out front, but you can take your chances if the line isn't long. We had to wait 30 minutes in the burning sun outside because a group of about 15 school kids had just gone in ahead of us, and there are only 2 workers. One works the ice, the other takes the money and pours the syrup on. I had the 3 flavor small, which was $3.50 if I remember. While it was very good on an extra hot day, I couldn't help but think how it could be better than another stores ice with syrup poured on it? I would have given a higher mark but for my discovery. I had gone back inside, which can only hold about 4 or 5 people, to get some napkins when I noticed that the kid who shapes the ice onto the holder was using one plastic glove on one hand, but was shaping the ice on the holder with his bare hand! If I hadn't already eaten the thing I would have thrown it out. Hep A came right to my mind. I watched for another few minutes but I had an appointment to keep. He was still using his bare hand rubbing on every inch of every shave ice they were selling, packing it together like a snowball bare handed! I can't recommend the place for this reason. If they did it then, they probably always do it. Sorry!

4  Thank Trip117

Reviewed October 3, 2013 via mobile

This isn't your typical shaved ice. The ice is fine enough to melt in your mouth w/o melting in the Hawaii heat!
I, personally, love the root beer but your mouth may get tired of one flavor so try the rainbow :)
There was a line 90% of the time we passed it but the employees are well adapted to this crowd; so don't get your panties in a wad :)
Happy hunting!

Reviewed September 29, 2013

First off you are going to stand in line. The good news it is totally worth the wait. The ice is shaved nice and fine and their syrups are delirious.

Reviewed September 8, 2013

We went to several shave ice stores, including Aiwana's and Matsumoto's. Shimazu's was #1. Matsumoto's was #2, and Aiwana was a distant #3. The number of flavors equaled or exceeded Matsumoto's and the quantity of perfectly shaved ice exceeded the other two stores. The syrup flavors were good at all three. If you want the best--this is it!!!

2  Thank Grant L
Reviewed September 7, 2013 via mobile

Ok, lets get it strange, this review was based on the fact i walk 40 min and wait in line for 15 min b4 i had the shave ice. My wife and i finished it 10 mins and it was refreshing. The banana cream was really good.