“Go someplace else if you can!”

Il Lupino Trattoria & Wine Bar
Reserve with OpenTable
Il Lupino Trattoria & Wine Bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #202 of 2,420 Restaurants in Honolulu
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Seaside Avenue
Description: Welcome to Il Lupino Trattoria and Wine Bar, created by famed New York restaurateur Wolfgang Zwiener, serving delicious, authentic Italian cuisine in a relaxing, yet sophisticated atmosphere, featuring indoor and outdoor bar and dining and a Salumeria featuring imported Italian cheeses, hand-cut meats that pair superbly with our wines by the glass list. While growing up in Europe, Wolfgang Zwiener discovered his passion for true Italian cuisine. In Italy, the locals would affectionately call him "Il Lupino", meaning "Little Wolf". It became his dream to open an Italian restaurant that would offer all his favorite dishes from Italy. That dream came to fruition in December 24th, 2010, when Wolfgang and his son, Peter, proudly opened their flagship Il Lupino Trattoria and Wine Bar at the Royal Hawaiian Center, in the heart of Waikiki. They hope you will enjoy the delicious Italian food created with love, dedication and passion. You might even meet Wolfgang himself in the restaurant while you are visiting. Pasta is prepared daily fresh and all our product comes directly from the Island. Lustful creations incorporating the fresh local seasonal produce, imported Italian cheeses, hand-cut meats and a variety of seafood accented with hand-made pastas. Our team is committed to exceeding expectations as they delight and satisfy while creating a memorable dining experience. Featuring wines from around the world our award winning selections enhance our cuisine and your experience. Focused primarily on Italian and Domestic selections we have something for every wine enthusiast!
Reviewed January 2, 2013

This is my second time eating here and the service is awful. The food was not that great and the value is a disgrace. I had the New Year's set menu which I choose the Beef Capriccio (way to small for the price), the wild mushroom risotto (the risotto was hard), and a champagne glee dessert (the only good thing that came out). The server was not sure who ordered what item, I would have expected this when paying $100 a person. Also, we had the 5 salumi and 5 cheeses of which came after our main dish was served. There are better places in Waikiki to go, try Taormina if you want good Italian worth your dollar in food!

There are newer reviews for Il Lupino Trattoria & Wine Bar

Reviewed January 1, 2013

We only spent 2 nights in Honolulu and was trying to get into Wolfgang's for happy hour, as it was recommended by a friend, but the wait was over an hour, so decided to try Il Lupino and was not disappointed. The wait staff was very friendly and made great recommendations for us. The food was very good and was priced about the same as other restaurants in Hawaii (expensive). I would highly recommend Il Lupino for great food and good service.

Reviewed December 29, 2012

A very good Italian joint in the middle of Waikiki Royal Hawaiian Center. We had a reservation for 8pm. We showed up early. Finally we got our table at 8:25pm, after we complained about it. While we were waiting, we saw a few people leave in a huff after waiting. Either the hostesses were poor in judging time and/or they are over aggressive in accepting bookings.

Once we sat down, we further realised why we were waiting for so long. The guy attending to us was also attending to so many other tables, he hardly had time to breathe. He got us the menu but did not give us a wine list. We waited to catch his attention and finally got the wine list. We took his recommendation and it turned out to be a good one. He brought us our bread but we again had wait to catch his attention to remind him about the olive oil he promised. Once a few tables around us got empty, the service level and attention seemed to improve.

The food was great. The salads, pizza, the Catch of the Day - Ahi Tuna on a bed of pasta with tomato and olive sauce and the dessert were all absolutely delicious.

Make a reservation, at least 30 minutes before the time you really want to eat.

Reviewed December 27, 2012

It is in the Royal Hawaiian centre, in a quieter part. I went there for dinner alone, the hostess was brilliant, helpful and friendly, the Liguine Pescatoria was great. She suggested a wine and it was lovely. I love seafood and this was one of the best I have eaten anywhere. The second time was a week later, the Hostess remembered me, I sat at the bar, and had a drink, dessert and coffee. The barman remembered me too and was great fun. I had a very enjoyable experience. When I get to Honolulu again I will be there, and evidence of that was the gentleman who occupied the seat next to me, he is a regular and I know why.

1  Thank 112Michele1945
Reviewed December 20, 2012

Tucked away in the morass of the Royal Hawiian Hotel, which once was one of the great Hibiscus gardens in the world, and now is a shopping center, a garage for access to the beach and a huge high rise Sheraton hotel, is a small, absolute treasure. Once we discovered it, we kept going back.

We would sit on its terrace and watch the children playing in a small, lovely park, have a seriously good trattoria dinner amongst a very attractive clientele of all ages, often family parties. The splendid food and efficient, friendly service makes it a place that people return to like a beloved cafe or pub. It is a mecca for lovers, young and old, with a few single people reading and enjoying the food and the ambience.

We never sat inside, but had we, we would have gone either early or late and reserved a quiet table. It does get noisy in the evening inside.

1  Thank wminot