“Beautiful location, great service, average sushi”
Review of Morimoto Waikiki - CLOSED

Morimoto Waikiki
Cuisines: Japanese
Good for: Special occasions, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Bar scene, Large groups, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Waikiki
Cross street: Hobron
Transit: Morimoto Waikiki is on the Red Line for the Honolulu Trolley, exit Discovery Bay. If taking TheBus, the following lines are avaiable 8, 19,20,23,24,42 and E, The Country Express.
Description: Famed Iron Chef Masaharu Morimoto brings his seamless integration of Western and Japanese ingredients to his newest restaurant, Morimoto Waikiki. With a focus on top-quality fish and fresh ingredients, everything is prepared in-house from ingredients flown in from Japan four times a week. Our seasonal and ever-changing selection of raw fish preparations feature the best seafood as well as locally grown fruits and vegetables from supporting farmers. Our refreshing and vibrant ambiance is the perfect backdrop for the remarkable culinary experience that is Morimoto Waikiki. Welcome.
Reviewed January 7, 2014

We ate here our second night in Waikiki. The location is beautiful, outdoors and a very short walk from the Hilton Hawaiian. Although, from anywhere else on the beach it would be a long walk. The service was great, I just was not wowed by the sushi. Drinks were above-average as was the price. With so many sushi restaurants in Waikiki, I expected better. Will choose differently upon my return visit.

Reviewed January 6, 2014

Morimoto is a beautiful place to eat world-class Japanese food in paradise. Everything about the place is well thought out, from the food, to the drinks, to the South Beach inspired decor. In sum, it's easily one of the better choices around Waikiki, and highly recommended.

Reviewed January 6, 2014

The menu offers a wide range of choices and is eclectic, so we played it safe and opted for the Omakase chef's choice menu. Others have criticised this, but I thought it was excellent and an interesting mix of Japanese and more familiar dishes. Bagna cauda for example was beautifully done. Naturally the shashimi was superb. I particularly liked the idea of of presenting small tastes of the three entrees on one plate when we reached that point in the menu. At that stage in some gastronomic menus I am wondering 'how much more is there?' but this time I knew that dessert (ie the end!) was in sight. All the dishes were exquisitely presented, and for once I could sympathise with the iphone food photographers, out in force as usual. Our waiter explained the concept behind each dish as it was served, and was professional to a fault.

Location-wise, visitors might like to know that seating on the (covered) balcony is much sought after so needs to be requested at booking. We didn't know this so sat inside which turned out to be lucky as there was very heavy rainstorm during the evening and many abandoned their balcony tables! Others have criticised the seating as too crowded and the room as too noisy - absolutely not so on either count when we were there for an early dinner. My only negative comment would be that it took a while to get our bill and pay it, and by that stage there were several people at the bar waiting for their tables. Had I been one of the people waiting I would not have been impressed by this. Could explain some of the negativity in reviews?

In summary it met my expectations as a first class dining experience.

Reviewed January 5, 2014

Always enjoy the food and service here and I was not disappointed this time. Particularly enjoyed the Alaskan Crab starter with the spicy sauce.

Reviewed January 4, 2014 via mobile

That was the most bizarre "fine dining" experience, regrettably accompanied by strangely apathetic "management" by Megan. They appear to be most interested in managing profit margins rather than a fine customer experience.

They ran out of the appetizer and main course I wanted. While disappointing, I could overlook this. (Though it would be nice if they told you before you looked at the menu.) Another person in our party ordered the filet, only to be told after placing order they ran out of that too. The only other steak option was $40 more.

We mentioned these disappointments to the manager. After speaking with her, a 3-star review went down to a 1-star. She brushed it off as a busy season. The assistant chef came out. And he seemed interested in the feedback and offered us dessert.

The manager told us we would be getting a special dessert - some scoop of ice cream - and then presented us with the dessert menu. That was strange: when the chef offers you dessert, normally that means you select a dessert you'd like. Not what they have lying around the kitchen!

We all ordered the Chocolate Peanut Bomb, which comes with salted peanut ice cream. THAT was substituted with vanilla ice cream, which we only learned once they brought out the desserts. When asked, the manager informed us it's now vanilla. I told her that wasn't on the menu. She said they would need to change the menus.

One of the wait staff told us that they run out of items regularly, including that ice cream, leading me to believe that the manager has a problem being honest.

This was a really disappointing experience. I was so taken with trying Morimoto food that I overlooked the multiple 1 and 2 star ratings on Yelp, a huge red flag.

2  Thank Amy_HPM