“Just average...”
Review of Morimoto Waikiki - CLOSED

Morimoto Waikiki
Cuisines: Japanese
Good for: Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Large groups, Romantic, Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Waikiki
Cross street: Hobron
Transit: Morimoto Waikiki is on the Red Line for the Honolulu Trolley, exit Discovery Bay. If taking TheBus, the following lines are avaiable 8, 19,20,23,24,42 and E, The Country Express.
Description: Famed Iron Chef Masaharu Morimoto brings his seamless integration of Western and Japanese ingredients to his newest restaurant, Morimoto Waikiki. With a focus on top-quality fish and fresh ingredients, everything is prepared in-house from ingredients flown in from Japan four times a week. Our seasonal and ever-changing selection of raw fish preparations feature the best seafood as well as locally grown fruits and vegetables from supporting farmers. Our refreshing and vibrant ambiance is the perfect backdrop for the remarkable culinary experience that is Morimoto Waikiki. Welcome.
Reviewed September 29, 2013

My husband and I were excited to dine at this restaurant, as we were huge fans of Morimoto back in his Iron Chef days. The restaurant is cool as has been described before. I had read many TA reviews, trying to decide on the best thing to get. Husband is allergic to shellfish, so he had the ribeye at $98.00. He enjoyed it...
I started with the tuna tartare, which has a very unique presentation-you scrape the tuna off of a screen, and then applied a variety of condiments. This is only a portion for one.
I decided on the dish that is basically a deconstructed bowl of sushi. the rice is on the bottom of a big bowl, with a variety of sushi on top. It was fine-reminded me of something I would get at my local sushi bar in Tennessee. It came with a bowl of miso soup, that was served in the exact same bowl as your neighborhood Benihana would use.
Service felt rushed despite the half empty restaurant. Worth it? You decide! It was good but certainly not great for the price.

Reviewed September 28, 2013

We were all looking forward to dinning at Morimoto after reading and hearing so many positive comments about the restaurant. We booked a table at 8 but was not seated until 8:30 and the restaurant was half empty. First impression was already not good as the restaurant smelled of fried food....a smell that you would expect from a fish and chip shop but not from a top Japanese restaurant! It took another half an hour before someone came to take our order. Our waiter who was assigned to our table was busy with another big table and the rest of the waiters in the restaurant just walk passed us without a glance (a table of 4) as it was not their table!! After complaining to the manager, who took our order, the food arrived fairly quickly. We ordered a mixture of food, sushi, sashimi and dishes recommend by the manager as the signature dishes. The food was average, miso soup arrived in a big blow but no one ever brought us small sharing blows. We had to ask for it and when it arrived, it was dirty with rice grains and greasy. The sushi and sashimi arrived but no one brought us soya sauce or small dipping bowls. We had to ask for this too! Our over all experience was a disaster and would never go back to this restaurant again. We have eaten at top Japanese restaurants all over the world and this one lack service, dirty and average food, Shame as the hotel where the restaurant is based in is a great hotel with top service.

Reviewed September 27, 2013

I am a Morimoto fan from Iron Chef and eating at one of his restaurants was on my 'bucket list' This did not disappoint. I am still talking about a meal I had almost a year ago. The restaurant is decorated in cool greens and white. The service is impeccable. I dressed up from my once in a lifetime experience but saw some people in dressy shorts. But the food, was beyond my wildest dreams. I had Japanese uni and a fois gras Chawan mushi (warm custard) that melted in my mouth. I told my husband it was better than........(fill in the blanks) My main course was ishi yaki buri bop - yellowtail cooked tableside in a hot stone bowl - amazing. This is expensive dining, but worth every penny for the experience and food that I will never forget. We may be going back to Hawaii this December for business and this is where my husband will celebrate his 65th birthday!

Reviewed September 21, 2013

My friends and I thoroughly enjoyed this restaurant. We went with a child and only had drinks, appetizers and desserts to get in and out while the baby slept. We each had creative and delicious dishes. My only regret, that we didn't get to sample more! The service was a little slow and the waiter forgot our cocktails, (but was quick to bring them after a reminder,) but even that didn't detract too much from what turned out to be a wonderful outing. The prices are high, $98 for a steak....but if you want a bit of a splurge in the perfect setting, give it a go!

Reviewed September 21, 2013

The food is delicious, as you would expect from a Morimoto restaurant. For foodies, like me, I definitely recommend the omakase.