“Stick with the appetizers”
Review of Morimoto Waikiki - CLOSED

Morimoto Waikiki
Cuisines: Japanese
Good for: Bar scene, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Large groups, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Waikiki
Cross street: Hobron
Transit: Morimoto Waikiki is on the Red Line for the Honolulu Trolley, exit Discovery Bay. If taking TheBus, the following lines are avaiable 8, 19,20,23,24,42 and E, The Country Express.
Description: Famed Iron Chef Masaharu Morimoto brings his seamless integration of Western and Japanese ingredients to his newest restaurant, Morimoto Waikiki. With a focus on top-quality fish and fresh ingredients, everything is prepared in-house from ingredients flown in from Japan four times a week. Our seasonal and ever-changing selection of raw fish preparations feature the best seafood as well as locally grown fruits and vegetables from supporting farmers. Our refreshing and vibrant ambiance is the perfect backdrop for the remarkable culinary experience that is Morimoto Waikiki. Welcome.
Reviewed April 23, 2013

Saturday dinner in April. Party of four. Three appetizers, two salads, four entrees and four desserts $400 including tax & tip. Enjoyed the Kakuni (braised porkbelly) and pork gyoza appetizers. Braised lamb shank and swordfish were dry. Best dessert was the chocolate peanut bombe.

There are newer reviews for Morimoto Waikiki

Reviewed April 23, 2013

Based on the recommendations here, I had the chef’s tasting menu. Overall, it just didn’t “sing”. I’m having trouble putting my finger on it but the food was just OK. The first course was the most interesting. Hamachi and Ahi which have been made into a paste, with seven sauces between them. It was tasty. Next was a yellowtail poached in oil; again it was good but not inspiring. Third course was an olive oil fondue with a anchovy paste in it. The paste went well with the oil and I had some blanched vegetables to put in the oil. The fourth course was a foie gras egg custard with a soy based sauce on top which again was just good. Fifth course was sushi which were five small Negril which were masterfully assembled and the fish was delicious. The sixth course was the entrée and the most disappointing. It had lobster, wagyu beef and pork. The lobster was cooked well, had a lemon crème fraiche sauce but just didn’t have that sweet lobster taste. The beef was covered in a sauce, and was stringy and just didn’t have that wagyu tenderness. The entree was served cold (I had to wait 30 minutes for it) which didn’t help. The last course was dessert which was disappointing. They had spread a brownish sauce on the bowl which looked terrible, and it had a soufflé and some exotic ice cream; the dessert didn’t work. I was disappointed with this meal. I expected so much more from the chef who cooks such inspiring dishes on TV. The meal took 2 hours and 45 minutes. You know, I’m starting to figure out these “superstar” chefs aren’t as good as your “hungry” local chefs.

1  Thank ben17a
Reviewed April 20, 2013

The food was tasty and beautiful...interesting to look at each piece of art on a platter. However, I would not go back as the Morimoto service etiquette is not to please the customer(although our waitress did well with our dinner party of 11). Firstly 2 of us were early for our group reservation and wanted a drink and quick appetizer at the bar...well, the rule is no food at the bar. Really? not even a cracker or nuts? We were famished So we asked to sit at a completely empty sushi bar for 15 minutes. The hostess hesitated. Finally they allowed us to sit and have a quick appetizer before sitting with our group. I'm sure they have good reasons for their rules...but honestly, life is too short to spend $1600 in a restaurant that makes you feel disobedient.

1  Thank Milodna
Reviewed April 19, 2013

We expected a lot more from the degustation menu - the best I can say is that it was delivered fast. It started off really well with some creative sushi and sashimi dishes, but went really downhill with a tired olive oil version of fondu, and wagu dishes etc. Service was uninspiring with waiters rattling off the explanation of dishes with little to no enthusiasm. Degust cost about $500 for three people.

If you do go there - the sushi is great and I advise just to stick to that.

Reviewed April 17, 2013

Being huge fans of Chef Morimoto, we decided ahead of time that we would do the Chef's Tasting Menu. We knew it would be pricey but figured it had to be worth it. The restaurant is very beautiful - we went for dinner and saw the sun set over the water. Being a fan, I immediately looked to the kitchen and saw that Morimoto himself was working! How exciting! Our server informed us that Morimoto would be making some of our courses which I thought was pretty cool. Every course that came out was not only delicious but the plating was a work of art. The service was impeccable and we even got to enjoy the Friday night fireworks show which was awesome. All in all, though we left a bit poorer than when we walked in, it was absolutely worth it. At the end, I even got to speak briefly with Morimoto (he was on the job afterall). If we go back to Waikiki in the future, we will be sure to go to Morimoto Waikiki again! If you go- do the Chef's Tasting! :) Enjoy!