“Delicious, great atmosphere & service!”
Review of Morimoto Waikiki - CLOSED

Morimoto Waikiki
Cuisines: Japanese
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Bar scene, Local cuisine, Large groups, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Waikiki
Cross street: Hobron
Transit: Morimoto Waikiki is on the Red Line for the Honolulu Trolley, exit Discovery Bay. If taking TheBus, the following lines are avaiable 8, 19,20,23,24,42 and E, The Country Express.
Description: Famed Iron Chef Masaharu Morimoto brings his seamless integration of Western and Japanese ingredients to his newest restaurant, Morimoto Waikiki. With a focus on top-quality fish and fresh ingredients, everything is prepared in-house from ingredients flown in from Japan four times a week. Our seasonal and ever-changing selection of raw fish preparations feature the best seafood as well as locally grown fruits and vegetables from supporting farmers. Our refreshing and vibrant ambiance is the perfect backdrop for the remarkable culinary experience that is Morimoto Waikiki. Welcome.
Ottawa, Canada
“Delicious, great atmosphere & service!”
Reviewed February 22, 2013

I didn't know who Morimoto was until my father in-law mentioned that he was in the Iron Chef. So, of course we had to try it out. Dinner time was always busy, so we decided to try lunch time. We enjoyed it so much we went back for a second time, the day after. It helps that we stayed closed by (in the same building in the Modern Honolulu). Well, the food was superb. The first time, I ordered the typical rolls (a couple of them) & a few sashimis. Delicious! The rock shrimp tempura appetizer was mouth watering! And one has to try the spicy king crab, it was awesome! My husband had the Buri Bop which was so tasty that he ordered the same thing the next day (I had a taste or two... or maybe three).. The braised black cod was also delicious. I enjoyed their salad as well (and I'm not much of a salad person). All in all, we enjoyed the meal. It was on the pricey side. The staff were great and the atmosphere was very laid back! Perfect setting!

Saint Louis, Missouri
“Overwhelmingly Disappointed - Service and Food”
Reviewed February 21, 2013

My wife and I visited this restaurant the night before Valentines Day wanting to avoid the expected bustle of business that restaurants experience on the epitomy of date night. We arrived at 6:45 fro a 7:00 PM reservation and were told the table we had requested days in advance - on the rail - would not be available until 7:25. Because the rail is next to the Marina and offers a beautiful sunset view we elected to wait. Upon being seated we began to experience a very bad smell at our table and the nearby vicinity. Initially the perception was that the smell was coming from below the restaurant but after much looking about by the staff the culprit was determined to be a box we were placed near that had some sort of electrical problem causing the smell. The location we were moved to, without rancor or complaint by us, was next to the wait station.....a big markdown from where we were...but ok....we will be alright....here for the food anyway. Sadly that was when things got really bad. As we are huge Morimoto Iron Chef fans we wanted to experience a full panoply of the food his restaurant had to offer and selected the $115 per person prix fixe for our menu choice. The meal was a average and the service was horrible. My sense was they had either moved us to a location that was unassigned and we were an afterthought or the wait person for the area they moved was not good with our being there. The reason I conclude that is because the meal took 3 1/2 hours for them to serve. Now before you think I am just not familiar with a relaxing meal, understand I have experienced many enjoyable 3 hour meals in Europe. Those meals have a pace, an attentiveness of service, a commensurate food experience and an ambiance that makes for a terrific meal. We were not even approached for a beverages after our initial order.Back to the meal, we were seved 5 modest courses. The dishes were good....not spectacular...very small and very far between. I have had 9 courses of better food at Alan Wong's for less money and I would strongly recommend that restaurant over Morimoto's even though there is no view at Alan Wong's.

The only bright spot was there was one waiter who must have felt sorry for us. He had the area we were initally seatde in and occasionally went out of his way to check on our food and bring it to our table. Upon leaving I asked him what was the normal time it takes to dine based on our selection,,,,he advised 90 minutes.

Perhaps our expectations were too high but we did think our Morimoto experience was going to be special. Unfortunately we were overwhelmingly disappointed.. by the way we were comped on the glasses of Champagne that we took into the restaurant from the bar during our wait to be seated. No other comment or apology from management was proffered.

3 Thank gary c
Vancouver, Canada
“It's not nice being ignored...”
Reviewed February 21, 2013

The first thing I have to mention is the HORRIBLE service.
I came to this restaurant thinking I would get the full 5 star experience, considering it held Morimotos name. However, it was not worth the money to receive such poor service when I could have had better service at the red lobster across the street.

Having worked in the restaurant industry I was pretty understanding of the minor incidences in the beginning. When my party and I arrived we waited awhile with 2 other couples, only to find out when we were seated the restaurant was half empty.
Our server, Martin, took a long time to greet us and ask for our drink order but we were fine with this since it was our first visit and we were still looking over the menu. Shortly receiving our appetizers he tells us he already fired off our entrees since the kitchen was behind on bills. I told him it was understandable since there were 2 larger groups in the restaurant. Half way eating our appetizers we see in the corner of our eye our server blowing up at the food runner because the food runner had our entrees before the larger group waiting before us. So we had 4 large plates on a small table.
While we were eating dinner no one helped refill our water, it was not until we started pouring our own water in front of our server when he took over. As I was still enjoying my meal my partner finished his entree and the busser cleared his plate. It was really awkward for me because he did not have a plate in front of him so I felt the need to rush.
When my plate was cleared we discussed trying some of the desserts. So we waited for our server to stop at our table, I could tell he only had 3 tables left at this point. So the whole time we were trying to get eye contact with him but he was too busy pacing back and forth to the larger table and the kitchen to pay any attention to us. There was a split second where our eyes met but he ignored me. We waited exactly 10 minutes before I asked another server for the dessert menu. As we were watching him, the larger table applauded as he was charming them, it was obvious he gave something for free. After exactly 5 minutes without being able to get his attention I asked a busser to get our server. The busser did not even know who our server was since he had to go to the computer to check, I would not blame him since our server was never around. When he arrived he did not say a word and just put his hands together in front of him, as if we were an interruption. We did not order dessert and just asked for the bill. All Martin said was, "Okay."...

It was a shame the service was so poor because the food was good. The staff should be trained properly and/or given less tables if they can not handle the pressure.

3 Thank case604
Richmond, California
“Iron Chef quality”
Reviewed February 21, 2013

popular restaurant. delicious dinner ! consistent w/other morimoto's. service was good. highly recommended.

Visited February 2013
Lahaina, Hawaii
“Worth the Effort to Find”
Reviewed February 20, 2013

I was alone on a business a trip and decided to treat myself. It was a bit of a chore finding this place. It is located in the Moder Hotel but there are no signs in the lobby so had to ask front desk where to go. The decor is white with brief splashes of color and quite refreshing. I sat at a table near the kitchen so had lots to watch. Excellent food-had duck three ways and octopus sashimi. Staff was very professional. One problem was the lack of either Hendix or Tangueray Ten so I settled for a Saphire martini. Overall was an excellent dinner.