“Morimoto Waikiki”
Review of Morimoto Waikiki - CLOSED

Morimoto Waikiki
Cuisines: Japanese
Good for: Bar scene, Special occasions, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Large groups, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Waikiki
Cross street: Hobron
Transit: Morimoto Waikiki is on the Red Line for the Honolulu Trolley, exit Discovery Bay. If taking TheBus, the following lines are avaiable 8, 19,20,23,24,42 and E, The Country Express.
Description: Famed Iron Chef Masaharu Morimoto brings his seamless integration of Western and Japanese ingredients to his newest restaurant, Morimoto Waikiki. With a focus on top-quality fish and fresh ingredients, everything is prepared in-house from ingredients flown in from Japan four times a week. Our seasonal and ever-changing selection of raw fish preparations feature the best seafood as well as locally grown fruits and vegetables from supporting farmers. Our refreshing and vibrant ambiance is the perfect backdrop for the remarkable culinary experience that is Morimoto Waikiki. Welcome.
Reviewed January 31, 2013

Went for a nice meal at morimoto , overall was nice... It could have been really nicer but the service was not what you deserved for a 400$ night.... The server weren't really nice but I have to say that the two bartender who was there really really saved the night plus they made excellent cocktails!! I was probably expecting more for the signature plates we had the tuna more of a show piece .... Everything else was really good I recommended the tuna over the hot bowl and saved some space for dessert they really deserve nice attention !!

Reviewed January 30, 2013

Chef Morimoto displays perfection in his dishes. His oyster appetizer is out of this world. His sushi is original.

Reviewed January 30, 2013

Overall a very good experience. Located in the Modern Hotel, this über-swank South-Beach style decorated Japanese restaurant did not disappoint. Hands down the best home-made wasabi I've ever tasted. All other dishes were delicious, but relied a little too much on chilis (especially the Spicy King Crab, which just masked the delicate sweetness of the seafood). Very good effort, cool vibe, and worth a special trip.

Reviewed January 27, 2013 via mobile

Beautiful place. Lovely presentation of food. Too expensive for every course for just good food. $6 for a cup of coffee with no refill.

Reviewed January 26, 2013

This is the worst restaurant I've ever been to - in any price range. I am not a food snob, however, living in Sonoma County, we are blessed with a wide range of amazing restaurants from inexpensive to pricey. What I love about Sonoma County dining is the range of flavors that complement each other, that unveil slowly, that surprise - and, this is inclusive of the Japanese restaurants in the county which serve MUCH better food at MUCH less cost that Morimoto. Also, my friend and I had had possibly the best dinner of our lives at Sansei on Maui. Incredible dishes, great service and beautiful presentation (Sansei, not Morimoto).

Someone else mentioned that the wait staff at Morimoto pool their tips. If this is the case, it might explain our primary server's disinterest in being friendly or helpful. The service was definitely adequate. Just adequate.

My friend ordered a Mai Tai and it was not traditional, which was fine. She then ordered a Long Island Ice Tea that tasted EXACTLY like the Mai Tai. It was really awful - tasted herbal. We decided it must be the gin they used. She sent that Long Island back and they brought another. Same taste. Our server said that they didn't put any gin in that drink. He realized that the commonality between the Mai Tai and Long Island was that they use Agave syrup in both. Yuck. Doesn't work. She sent that drink back, as well. Neither of us are picky and never send anything back.

We shared a Sashimi salad which was good. There were 5 pieces of Sashimi and they were fresh and just perfect. On the other side of the plate was four slices of Romaine lettuce with a Quail egg and Caesar dressing. Dressing was good but I could have used more salad.

My friend ordered the Oyster Foie Gras. She had had the Seared Foie Gras Nigiri Sushi at Sansei, which was amazing. Morimoto's featured a sliver of Foie Gras on each of the 3 appetizers. Mediocre.

We then had the Ramen Chicken Noodle soup. It says right on the menu "Morimoto Chicken Noodle Soup". When the server brought it out, she told us it had a base of veal and pork. Neither of us eat veal and my friend avoids pork. We should have sent it back but we didn't want to label ourselves as complainers. Didn't matter since we only ate a little of it. There was absolutely nothing to this dish. To my friend, it tasted only like pork. All I could taste was some sort of oil they used.

As an entree, I had the Seafood Toban Yaki, which was edible. The seafood was cooked really well. However, the broth was completely unimpressive. All it tasted like was clam juice with a TON of tabasco thrown in. I love spicy food but there was absolutely no nuance to the broth. I think that was $46?

My friend had the Surf & Turf which featured Poke and a small steak. The Poke was good, however, the portion was very small. The steak was okay. It was served with a ginger dip. The ginger dip, however, just tasted like ginger with a ton of soy sauce and was way to salty - not edible. The few pieces of potato were also very salty.

We didn't order dessert. The tab with tip came to almost $250. Ridiculous for the quality of the food. I would never go to a Morimoto's again (there is one near us in Napa). Don't waste your money. There is a Sansei in Waikiki, just wish we had realized it before we went to Morimoto. For great Japanese fusion food, go to Sansei.

2  Thank Mariah C