“Amazing Teaching Abilities”

2-Hour Small Group Stand-Up Paddleboarding Experience
$140.00*
Private Standup-Paddleboard Experience
More attraction details
Owner description: At Gone Surfing Hawaii, we live the motto, "Less Work / More Surf" because being in the ocean isn't just our job, it's a lifestyle and we love it. Our qualified instructors teach all ages fundamental techniques that can have anyone surfing in no time. So whether you're charging waves for the first time, or taking your skills to the next level, let us bring a little "More Surf" into your life. When you're ready to journey beyond Waikiki, join us for a full day's adventure along the North or East shores exploring surf spots, sights and local foods. Gone Surfing Hawaii is a small, locally owned and operated company. All Our lessons and Tours start on the sand with ocean awareness and safety. Then we get you right into the surf for a rush of wind and waves. No worries, our licensed instructors are trained in first aid and lifeguard CPR. Once in the water, we show you how to read the waves, position your take off, and the etiquette of wave riding. Whether you're a one-on-one type or you prefer fun with friends, our customized lessons and tours are built to make your adventure on the waves one to remember.
San Francisco
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Amazing Teaching Abilities”
Reviewed October 10, 2013

I went to Honolulu for vacation in July and decided to try out surfing. I was 48 at the time and I don't ski, snowboard, or skate. Other than riding a bike, I have never successfully balanced on anything that was moving. But I checked out the tripadvisor reviews and found this company because there was a woman who said she was even older than me and they got her to stand up and actually surf on the board. So I decided this company may be the one I need. I got a personal lesson. My instructor was FANTASTIC. I discovered that I couldn't paddle well and he said after 10 minutes of paddling "you only have a two hour lesson, you better just grab my ankle and I'll take you out there." So I grabbed his ankle, and he dragged me and my surf board out there by his own paddling on his surfboard. Each time after I attempted to ride the surf and fell into the water, he would come and get me and pull me back out by his trusty ankle. They had a photographer out there and the owner of the company out there watching me and rooting me on. I had three people to my one person and with them yelling at me to get up, I got up and was able to surf for at least 10 seconds (twice) before falling off. After 1.45 hrs, I was exhausted. But I got the best photo. So it was all worth it. I plan to try surfing again.

Visited July 2013
jojobernadette, Owner at Gone Surfing Hawaii, responded to this review, November 8, 2013
Jedi is fantastic at paddling others out and we are glad you came surfing with us - I will pass on the kind words - Mahalo - jojo

Perth, Australia
31 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 69 helpful votes
“Thanks Theo and Gone Surfing”
Reviewed October 4, 2013

We had a semi-private lesson today with Theo and had a great time. Theo paddles you out as we go a long way out but the waves were awesome, longest wave I think I will probably ever ride and the experience was invigorating, Mother Nature at her best. Thanks Theo and the gang we had a great morning, can't wait to see our photos. You guys rock!

Visited October 2013
Theo is an awesome teacher and addition to our team- he loves towing everyone around :) Mahalo for the review! Aloha - jojo
“Gone Surfing Hawaii is no ka 'oi”
Reviewed October 4, 2013

Had a private lesson with Jedi - It was fantastic, highly recommend! He's a cool guy and a great teacher. The surfing lesson was definitely the highlight of the trip - It was a phenomenal experience.
Gone Surfing Hawaii was super flexible and easy to work with. Cool people all around. Do it!!

Visited September 2013
Minnesota, United States
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Learned the power of the waves with the Jedi”
Reviewed September 19, 2013

I had a twelve hour layover on my way back from Japan to the mainland and I booked a last minute 2 hour private lesson with Gone Surfing starting at 10:30am. Let's be honest, I am 42 years old and not in th best shape and I have never surfed. Jedi went at my pace and towed me into place so that I could rest in between rides. The first few attempts were rough but Jedi gave me encouragement and recommendations that got me on my feet in no time. It was great to sit on the board and just float around but being able to ride the waves was an amazing experience. I was a good time with a good mix of people taking lessons and locals showing us how it is done right.

I will be sure to do it again on my next time though. Way better than sitting at the airport or at the bar.

Bucket list activity completed with gusto. Thanks Jedi.

Visited September 2013
1 Thank The_Toddler71
Michigan
23 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 26 helpful votes
“Best surf lesson EV-ER!”
Reviewed September 11, 2013

This was the second lesson for my husband and I - our prior one was with a larger company and just too commercialized. I liked the reviews for Gone Surfing and the fact that they were a smaller company. We did a semi-private lesson with Jedi and he was the best. He was funny, oh so patient and very encouraging. I think he was just as excited when we got good waves as he was. We requested a photographer ($60 for both) which I believe is well worth it. They had Brad taking pictures and he was great and even offered tips as we were riding the waves. We had a lull for about 20 minutes with no waves, but we still enjoyed sitting on our boards, soaking up the sunshine and chatting with Jedi. I enjoyed also interacting with Brad and Jojo as they helped us get issues with our pictures straightened out. Overall, it was super awesome, I would recommend it to anyone and can't wait to do it again!

Visited August 2013
Mahalo- yeah Jedi Is Awesome- glad you guys had a good time and stoked on your photos- always good to get tips from a different ( camera man) perspective :) - All work great together :) Mahalo for your review and we hope to see you in the water again. Aloha- jojo