“Excellent fun!”

2-Hour Small Group Stand-Up Paddleboarding Experience
$140.00*
Private Standup-Paddleboard Experience
More attraction details
Owner description: At Gone Surfing Hawaii, we live the motto, "Less Work / More Surf" because being in the ocean isn't just our job, it's a lifestyle and we love it. Our qualified instructors teach all ages fundamental techniques that can have anyone surfing in no time. So whether you're charging waves for the first time, or taking your skills to the next level, let us bring a little "More Surf" into your life. When you're ready to journey beyond Waikiki, join us for a full day's adventure along the North or East shores exploring surf spots, sights and local foods. Gone Surfing Hawaii is a small, locally owned and operated company. All Our lessons and Tours start on the sand with ocean awareness and safety. Then we get you right into the surf for a rush of wind and waves. No worries, our licensed instructors are trained in first aid and lifeguard CPR. Once in the water, we show you how to read the waves, position your take off, and the etiquette of wave riding. Whether you're a one-on-one type or you prefer fun with friends, our customized lessons and tours are built to make your adventure on the waves one to remember.
Wellington
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Excellent fun!”
Reviewed May 14, 2012

We had a great time with Jojo. My wife and I were in one group, and the other group was 3 people. There was another instructor for them but I forget his name. In other words we had great personal attention.

First impressions were great! she was right on time. No Island time here! I really appreciate that when I'm up at 8:00am on a holiday :-)

We did a bit of the basics on the beach and then started the long paddle out to the waves.

We were all loaned long sleeved surfing tops to provide some protection from the sea floor. We al sunscreened up and Jojo provided useful advice there (put lots of sunscreen on the back of your legs! not a place you'd normally think of).

This was when we first found out how really good the service was when JoJo helped paddle us out by towing us. Great!

The teaching was good, I managed to get one good ride going when the help of tips from Jojo. And made many other attempts. The teaching was good enough I know what I was doing wrong and what to practice.

And as the lesson went on the fact she towed us back to the break was even more appreciated!

My advice is be prepared to be tired by the end of the lesson. it's surprisingly tiring getting back up on the board - it's easiest if you do it from the back of the board. Listen to jojo.

And finally there was a photographer (Greg Rose from Waterlogged Video productions along with us who got some great shots of my wife and I surfing for a reasonable price. he also watched us surf and provided advice, and helped tow us out again. Awesome! Better than that you get the full resolution photos - even some of the not so perfect ones - which I like because they tell a whole story.

Definitely a great experience. would recommend it to anyone.

1 Thank Bill R

London, United Kingdom
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Absolutely brilliant!!”
Reviewed May 1, 2012 via mobile

Jojo and Rory were absolutely fantastic, paddled me out when my fitness levels failed me, they were fantastic teachers making it very simple to grasp the concept and easily and accurately spotting where I was going wrong! They were great fun whilst waiting for some surf and we even spotted a turtle! Furthermore Jojo completed our first day in Hawaii with a great restaurant recommendation...the butterfish at roys was amazing! Altogether 10/10, could not have had a better day! highly recommend!

2 Thank cmi21uk
New York City, New York
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Highly recommend!”
Reviewed April 30, 2012

I've been on a beginner lesson with both Hans Hedelman and Gone Surfing, and the two experiences were night and day. With Hans, it felt like a factory operation since they had so many people. Jojo and Rory were amazing - not only did we get personalized attention and helpful tips, they paddled us out when we got tired, and we did have to drag our boards to the end of the earth like some of the other schools. They also use a deeper area of the beach, which is much better when you fall (I cut my back on a shallow reef on a different trip). Overall, highly recommend!

1 Thank Abhishek M
london
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“Don't hesitate to book”
Reviewed April 26, 2012

I have just returned from another trip to Hawaii (Oahu)
I went with my husband and tried my hand at surfing for the first time and LOVED it
We went back this year with my 13 year old son, 63 year old mother in law
This time we all surfed and everybody loved it
My son was brilliant as expected, so was my husband again as expected
My mother in law was very hesitant and nervous and couldn't believe she stood up on the board first time
Jo-jo was brillant was usual but this time we also had Paul and Rory who were also great fun
Learnt a bit more than last time and got more confident and familiar on the board
Because my son and mother in law wanted photographic evidence, we booked Greg again for photos and video and they are well worth it, if its your first time, our video was really funny
dont hesitate its a great life experience and I will definitely do it again if I go
One word of warning, it is very very tiring so if Jo-jo offers to paddle for you, take her up on it, she so good at it and you will need your energy later

2 Thank msaps
West Hollywood, California, United States
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Even I caught a wave!”
Reviewed April 21, 2012

I went to Hawaii with someone who used to be an accomplished surfer when she was in her teens. She had not surfed for 30+ years but decided that all of that was going to change so she asked for the best surfing instructor in Oahu and was told to call JoJo of Gone Surfing Hawaii.

Somewhat fearful, my friend paddled out with JoJo and, unbelievably, was up and surfing in minutes. Well, I wrote it off to her having surfed as a kid, figuring surfing is like riding a bike: once you know how you never forget.

I, on the other hand, am afraid of the ocean, convinced there are creatures ready to devour me, and have the world's worst sense of balance. So, imagine my surprise when JoJo was able to get me on a board, on a wave, and on the ride of my life! I was so thrilled, I cannot tell you.

I recommend JoJo and her company to everyone I know who is going to Honolulu and she has provided them all with lasting memories. From friends with 6 year olds to an 80+ year old adventurer, JoJo and her team customized their approach to meet the needs of each and I just can't say enough about what a difference her competence and caring made.

Visited February 2012