“The best vacation experience EVER!”

Gone Surfing Hawaii
2-Hour Small Group Stand-Up Paddleboarding Experience
$140.00*
Private Standup-Paddleboard Experience
More attraction details
Owner description: At Gone Surfing Hawaii, we live the motto, "Less Work / More Surf" because being in the ocean isn't just our job, it's a lifestyle and we love it. Our qualified instructors teach all ages fundamental techniques that can have anyone surfing in no time. So whether you're charging waves for the first time, or taking your skills to the next level, let us bring a little "More Surf" into your life. When you're ready to journey beyond Waikiki, join us for a full day's adventure along the North or East shores exploring surf spots, sights and local foods. Gone Surfing Hawaii is a small, locally owned and operated company. All Our lessons and Tours start on the sand with ocean awareness and safety. Then we get you right into the surf for a rush of wind and waves. No worries, our licensed instructors are trained in first aid and lifeguard CPR. Once in the water, we show you how to read the waves, position your take off, and the etiquette of wave riding. Whether you're a one-on-one type or you prefer fun with friends, our customized lessons and tours are built to make your adventure on the waves one to remember.
Birmingham, Alabama
“The best vacation experience EVER!”
Reviewed March 27, 2012

I'm not one to write reviews because I typically feel that what I would say has already been said... And it has here but deserved being said again! JoJo, Paul and Greg are the greatest! My daughter (relatively athletic) and I (not so much) booked our surf lessons here based on the reviews and couldn't have been happier!! JoJo was able to break down what I was doing wrong when I was unable to get up on the board after 3 attempts... 1 instruction and up I went! She and Paul were so patient, funny and truly love what they do! Encouraging and knowledgeable of the area and the waves, I couldn't have been happier... My only disappointment was that I didn't book more time before I went... My plan is to go back and just surf with them...

Brisbane, Australia
“Highlight of our trip”
Reviewed March 27, 2012

My Husband and I had a surf lesson with Jo Jo on the first morning in Oahu and we had an absolute blast and consider it the highlight of our trip. We are complete beginners and through Jo Jo's clear instruction and patience we were catching waves almost immediately. I was a bit nervous at first, but Greg and Jo Jo made it fun, safe and an overall awesome experience. Thanks again guys!

Austin, Texas
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Customer satisfaction comes first at Gone Surfing Hawaii...”
Reviewed March 14, 2012

JoJo is the owner of this outfit and she works hard to make sure you have a good time while learning how to surf! She gets you out into the water quickly with some simple prep and coaching. Her team of assistants are great with people and are there to help you get going fast. They provide everything you need - rash guard, board, leash, and instruction. The surfing area was very consistent; the waves were just right and had a nice break.

Me, my wife, three teenagers and a friend all took the beginner's class and we were on a board and riding waves within 30 minutes. She was right there with us in the water and kept an eye on the group (with the aid of her assistants) to ensure safety as we practiced.

Overall it was a great experience! Be prepared to burn some calories paddling around on the board. You will come home with some sore shoulders, but tired and satisfied that you learned how to surf with the experts at Gone Surfing Hawaii!

Victoria, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great time, even for unathletic people!”
Reviewed March 10, 2012

I've been surfing a couple times before but am still a newb so arranged lessons for my boyfriend and I. I chose Gone Surfing due to the rave reviews and proximity to our hotel. It was a 30minute walk from our hotel but still at Waikiki Beach. Many of my other choices were way up at the North Shore.

Our lesson was on a sunny day which was great because the weather was iffy that week. We got started right away with the basics, which I was familiar with but my boyfriend was not. We then paddled out to the water and went WAAAAY far out. I was nervous because my lessons before were usually very close to shore, but because the waves were so far out, that is where we had to paddle. The waves were quite big which worried me but our instructor said it was fine. We ended up having a great time! The photographer was out there taking photos of us and the pictures turned out great! It was a little steep for the photos. They charge $40 per person so it was $80 altogether. However, I like to think that the memories are completely worth it. But it brought the total cost of the lesson to something like $220 when you take in account taxes and tip. I also don't really like how they use yousendit.com for the photos because they expire after a week or so. Since we wouldn't be home for over a week, I had to get my family at home to download them for me before the images expired. I think they should put them on a disc and actually give them to you.

Altogether, it was a great lesson. He made us feel very comfortable and helped us when we were struggling with the paddling by dragging us out. I had a great time. Very personable team!

Visited February 2012
1 Thank Vacay P
Bangkok
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 35 helpful votes
“Don't Leave Hawaii Without Having Surfed”
Reviewed March 7, 2012

After a 2 hour surf lesson with GSH, it's difficult to imagine visiting Hawaii without having tried surfing. What a fun thing to do in paradise on such a beautiful day!

Our instructor was Paul, and he made learning how to surf fun. He didn't get all technical with us, but focused on getting my friend and I into nice, rideable waves. Paul was energetic and full of Aloha spirit, really encouraging us and cheering our nice rides.

It was our first time swimming so far from shore, but he and the photographer Greg were always nearby, which alleviated our fears. Everything about the experience was positive, even the long paddle back to shore.

By the way, Paul and Greg help you with the paddling, by pulling or pushing your board along. Everything was so user friendly.

Don't leave Honolulu without contacting Jojo and scheduling your surf lesson. We'd do it again in a heartbeat!

BTW, we can't wait to see the photos and videos shot and edited by Greg.

1 Thank bkk_kd