“Awesome experience! Do it even if you're the tiniest bit interested in learning to surf!”

Gone Surfing Hawaii
2-Hour Small Group Stand-Up Paddleboarding Experience
$140.00*
Private Standup-Paddleboard Experience
More attraction details
Owner description: At Gone Surfing Hawaii, we live the motto, "Less Work / More Surf" because being in the ocean isn't just our job, it's a lifestyle and we love it. Our qualified instructors teach all ages fundamental techniques that can have anyone surfing in no time. So whether you're charging waves for the first time, or taking your skills to the next level, let us bring a little "More Surf" into your life. When you're ready to journey beyond Waikiki, join us for a full day's adventure along the North or East shores exploring surf spots, sights and local foods. Gone Surfing Hawaii is a small, locally owned and operated company. All Our lessons and Tours start on the sand with ocean awareness and safety. Then we get you right into the surf for a rush of wind and waves. No worries, our licensed instructors are trained in first aid and lifeguard CPR. Once in the water, we show you how to read the waves, position your take off, and the etiquette of wave riding. Whether you're a one-on-one type or you prefer fun with friends, our customized lessons and tours are built to make your adventure on the waves one to remember.
Alberta, Canada
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 33 helpful votes
Reviewed August 28, 2011

Our 3 teenagers who can swim but who have never surfed a minute in their lives took a lesson with Jojo and they loved it! And they can all surf now! The kids said it's NOT hard to learn but you need to know how to do it properly in order to do it right and have fun which they learned from Jojo. An excellent experience that they will use for the rest of their lives!

Los Angeles, CA
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Best service in the water and on land!"”
Reviewed August 26, 2011

JoJo, who gives the actual lessons, was awesome! She gave a great lesson and made sure that everyone felt safe and had a great experience. Out of the water, she communicated well and quickly with us via cellphone AND she delivered boards right to the beach for us when we wanted to just use her equipment. Her service, and our experience did not just end with the lesson. She did not rush us at all, and we were free to drop her a line just for recommendations for food and surf spots!

Her videographer partner Greg was great as well! He took great footage of us and when I dropped my camera, you could see him looking for it anytime there was a lull and he wasn't filming us! He was looking for hours!! I haven't received the video yet but the preview clip he gave was both funny and enticing in the form a movie trailer. It was enough for us to decide purchase an edited video as well!

I would highly recommend surfing with "Gone Surfing Hawaii" if you need a lesson or want someone to record you while surfing!

1 Thank Clammy42
California
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Stellar Service From Start To Finish :)”
Reviewed August 15, 2011

Just got back from Hawaii last week. There were 3 of us and the entire purpose of the trip was to surf and dive, so we scheduled a surf lesson with Jojo for Day 1. We had all surfed before, but we were told that the conditions in Waikiki were very different from So-Cal, so we wanted to take a lesson to get properly oriented. I found Jojo through all of the glowing reviews on TripAdvisor and her rates were extremely competitive, so we decided to give it a shot.

The entire booking process was smooth and hassle-free, thanks to Jojo's professionalism and responsiveness. One of my friends actually ended up missing his outbound flight, and couldn't get on a new flight until later the next day. When we told Jojo, she worked it out so he could have his own lesson after he arrived despite the lack of notice.

The actual lessons were incredibly fun and instructive and we definitely got our money's worth. Not only is Jojo incredibly warm and friendly, she clearly knows what she is doing. She was attentive to our needs the entire time and made sure that we each got in several rides. I think the key thing to note is that Jojo is very safety-oriented, which is super important because surfing can be incredibly dangerous even though it looks like a very "laidback" sport. During our lessons, we saw other instructors who would unnecessarily push several beginners onto the same wave in incredibly close proximity to one another. This alarmed me to no end because the vast majority of beginners - if not all beginners - are simply not capable of turning their giant, unwieldy boards to avoid colliding with one another or other people. And when you're traveling at those speeds on a heavy 12 ft piece of epoxy or fibreglass, you can cause serious injury to yourself and others.

We were all 150% satisfied with the service we got from Jojo and would strongly recommend her to anyone going to Waikiki.

1 Thank serphergirl
Indianapolis, Indiana
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Amazing Experience”
Reviewed August 14, 2011

I took my son to Hawaii not sure if it would be a great place for a 7 yr old to vacation. He loved it. Jojo did a great job introducing him to surfing along w/ Jake. They took him out on the water and made him feel safe. He was able to stand up and felt like a true surfer. We also saw sea turtles while out surfing which my son loved. Additionally, they pulled him around on the boogey board and advised us on some other fun stuff to do on the island. I would recommend them to anyone ready to have a fun adventure in Hawaii.

Visited October 2010
1 Thank miller2003
Austin
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“JoJo is great!”
Reviewed August 12, 2011

I had a private two-hour stand up paddleboard lesson with JoJo (Joanne Howard) of Gone Surfing Hawaii. JoJo is a great instructor. She clearly communicated what I needed to do without making it overly complex. I had a wonderful time. Although I never quite mananged to catch a wave while standing, I did catch a number of waves on my knees and transitioned to a standing position.

1 Thank JPAustin