“Great teacher” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Alex's Aquatic Adventures

Alex's Aquatic Adventures
More attraction details
Owner description: My name is Alex Mason. I am a PADI Master Instructor which is the highest instructor rating you can achieve from the Professional Association of Diving Instructors. I have been teaching SCUBA-diving in Hawaii for over 13 years with a perfect safety record. I am able to teach all courses from Discover SCUBA diving all the way through to dive master, I am also qualified to teach 18 different specialties.If you are looking for a small company that takes pride in what it does, you have definitely found the right place! I take out very small groups: a maximum of four SCUBA divers per diving Instructor for both the Open Water Certification course and our Discover SCUBA diving ADVENTURE! My maximum ratio for licensed SCUBA divers is 6 to 1; however 90% of the time we have between two and four SCUBA divers per diving Instructor.This does not mean I can not manage larger groups; I definitely can. For larger groups, I would employ dive masters or instructors to help me best suit your needs, giving you the best ADVENTURE ever. I will still manage the day and make sure everything runs smoothly, as I am always present with you on the boat. My company is small enough to care; my management skills are excellent so I can organize any size group.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
dc
3 attraction reviews
“Great teacher”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 18, 2012

While on vacation with my girlfriend we made plans to learn scuba. we made plans with another company but the day before we were to start my girlfriend got sick and we tried to reschedule. the other guy told us he didnt wanna work with us. so we found alex and we couldnt have been happier. He had great equipment with mostly new stuff. He was great about keeping the mood light while still teachng us. He was always on time and always in a good mood. when i made mistakes while learning he had no problem telling me. scuba can be a little overwhelming for a begginer and alex really helped both me and my girlfriend enjoy the experance. if your not afraid to be told when you mess up you will be fine. after all it is your life in his hands. He was great and i would highly recommend his service. And the little british touches really set him apart from the other guides on the boat. he really was great. If you book with alex you wont be sorry.

Visited July 2012

Phoenix, Arizona
37 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 134 helpful votes
“No sugar coating but a sweet day of diving nonetheless!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 7, 2012

Once you get past the surly attitude and sometimes gruff exterior, you'll find a dive instructor with a WEALTH of knowledge. A better "bed side manner" would have been nice but as long as you don't take things too personally, you'll be fine. My husband, our friend and I went diving with Alex whilst visiting Honolulu. He picked us up at our hotel and took us to the boat. The boat was shared with several other companies and I didn't hear anyone else other than Alex give a safety briefing about the boat. Really surprised me. He also brought along his iPad so we could watch a quick video about the wreck we'd be diving. He took the time to understand each of our diving abilities and gave each of us great feedback about what we were doing right and advice/tips on what we could be doing better. I actually ended up diving with 9lbs less weight on the 2nd dive which was WONDERFUL because it's hard toting around 24 extra lbs in your bcd! Hubby and I brought our own gear but our friend rented from Alex. The gear he provided was in GREAT condition and all name-brand stuff. This was not the case with others we saw on the boat. Alex also provided us with towels which was especially nice because we couldn't get pool/beach towels until 7am at our hotel and that was the exact time he was picking us up and we didn't want to make him wait. Additionally when we'd finished both dives, he came out with a thermos of hot water and 3 face towels, dumped the hot water over them and offered us each one to wipe the salt water off of our faces. NICE TOUCH!!!! Oh and he takes plenty of pictures and then uploads them for free. Another nice touch! If you don't mind a somewhat cocky attitude (fine line btwn cocky and confident) then by all means dive with Alex. His knowledge and experience are worth it!

Visited December 2012
Honolulu, Hawaii, United States
“Great guy”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 29, 2012

Alex helped my friend and I get certified the other weekend. Guy's been doing it for over 13 years. Total professional in the water. We had a blast with him.
Thanks for a great time, Alex!

Visited October 2012
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Great value and the highlight of our trip!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 27, 2012

My boyfriend and I went on a discovery dive with Alex today. My boyfriend had never been scuba diving before and it's been 10 years since my last dive. Alex picked us up from our Waikiki hotel and drove us to where the boat was launching from. Alex made everything really easy and made sure we were comfortable before we started the dive.

Our first dive was at turtle canyon and we must've seen at least 9, 10 turtles! We saw a lot of different fish like box fish, puffed fish, cornet fish, and trigger fish. I was extremely pleased with the overall variety of animals that we saw on our dive. I didn't think that our second dive could possibly be anywhere as good as the first, and boy was I wrong. During our second dive at another nearby reef we saw a number of fish species we hadn't encountered at the first dive site including several eels, a scopion fish, and a large shrimp. Plus we also passed a group of saddle wrasse that were spawning.

At the end of our dive Alex gave us towels to dry off with and a hot towel to wipe our faces off with. After the boat got back to shore Alex packed up the gear he dropped us back off at our hotel. My boyfriend and I couldn't be more pleased with our experience. Alex is clearly an experienced and knowledgeable diver and did a great job ensuring that we had a memorable experience. He took a ton of photos for us during our dive with his camera, and went out of his way to make sure he had great shots of us with animals. I really liked that Alex posts all of his photos to Flickr free of charge, and I can't wait to see them all later today! I did a lot of research on scuba diving companies before deciding to go with Alex, and I'm so glad I did. He's about $5 more than a few of his competitors, but he was 100% worth every extra cent. He's quite a personality and had us laughing the entire time our heads weren't under the water. The next time I'm in Oahu again I'll definitely be giving Alex a call!

Napa, California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Confidence Inspiring”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 21, 2012

One thing I have learned this trip is that your dive master can make or break your dive. My kidsa are young to be fully certified and so when we were picked up by Alex in his cool looking van I explained that I was a llittle nervous about the two of them diving anything too daring and was looking for a safe, and confidence building dive. Alex met that challenge and then some. He was a pleasure to be around and my kids were captivated by everything he did and said.

Our first dive was the YO257, which is a great wreck. Alex is so confident, calm and attentive that we were at the bottom for 20 mins and it felt like 2. Never a concern or anything to think about. Alex took care of it all. The next dive was a great reef dive where Alex picked up all sorts of sea creatures for us to play with.

We completed another 2 dives with Alex today and we will be calling Alex the next time we set foot on Oahu to set up our next dive with him.

Ian
PS - his free photos are excellent and completed the service!

Visited November 2012