“Not so easy for the average athlete”
Review of Koko Crater Trail

$30.00*
Koko Head Trail Challenge
Ranked #8 of 333 things to do in Honolulu
Reviewed September 6, 2013

I trekked up this crater on August 20, 2013. This was my first visit to the trail. First impressions were "Wow!". Online pictures did not do justice. The crater trail climb, at first glance, was both intriguing awe inspiring. I read the reviews on here and was expecting a relatively easy walk up. I am 45 years old and considered myself a decent athlete in my younger years. This was a challenge both physically & for safety reasons. There are no handrails and as you get to the last 20% of steps, the incline gets quite a bit more strenuous. It took me about an hour to walk up as I took multiple breaks along the way. Kudos to those who can master this hill with ease. However, I chose to catch my breath and enjoy the views the entire way up. I enjoyed the friendliness of the people going up and coming down. We all were experiencing the same pain and challenge. Like all the other comments on here...the view from the top is extraordinary.

Amateur advise: Go in the early morning while the sun is on the other side of the crater. Carry at least one bottle of water with you. Take your time...some timbers are a bit slick and the fall will be painful if you go down. Let others go around when necessary, but pay close attention to your own safety. Stretch before and after. I did not and was in agony 3 days after. Enjoy the scenery and people. Most of all, Have Fun!

Reviewed September 6, 2013

Koko Head Crater hike is one of those hikes that beckons you to do it - just for the challenge. Not only was it worth the personal achievement, we were rewarded with incredible views. Wish I had something remotely close to this at home to keep me in shape!

1  Thank Amanda L
Reviewed September 4, 2013

My family did this hike numerous times and said that it got better each time. Do it once in the morning, then again at dusk, the views are fantastic, as it most of Hawaii.

1  Thank PAteacheryeah
Reviewed September 4, 2013

Great trail up to summit for the fit and healthy. Lots of steps and steep walk. But worth it for the great view out to the Pacific and across the island over Waikiki.

Reviewed September 3, 2013

I didn't want to do this hike, but I was talked into it and am glad I did it. Once you get up there the views are the best on the island. Make sure you continue up the hill to the right after the stairs stop, that's where the best views are.